Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Charger and cable specifics

Tip us?

doncaruana
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Default Charger and cable specifics

Even after cruising through some searches, I'm still trying to nail down the specifics of the cable and charger. The charger says it runs at 2A at 5v or 1.2A at 15v. Does anyone know why it has two listed and which mode it actually uses when plugged in?

Also, I'm interested in 'extending' the 5 foot charging cable and have seen it suggested to use a USB 3.0 extension cable. Can anyone confirm that this will work okay?

Lastly, I'm looking at the Antec UA4-25 charger to sorta consolidate my charging needs. Anyone have any feedback on this and whether it will work okay with the TF700 and/or a USB 3.0 extension like I mentioned above?

Thanks for any feedback!!

pvka13
Old
(Last edited by pvka13; 25th February 2013 at 12:26 AM.) Reason: add few forum links
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
Even after cruising through some searches, I'm still trying to nail down the specifics of the cable and charger. The charger says it runs at 2A at 5v or 1.2A at 15v. Does anyone know why it has two listed and which mode it actually uses when plugged in?

Also, I'm interested in 'extending' the 5 foot charging cable and have seen it suggested to use a USB 3.0 extension cable. Can anyone confirm that this will work okay?

Lastly, I'm looking at the Antec UA4-25 charger to sorta consolidate my charging needs. Anyone have any feedback on this and whether it will work okay with the TF700 and/or a USB 3.0 extension like I mentioned above?

Thanks for any feedback!!
The charger can actually output both voltages. The 5V is used to charge regular USB devices. When you plug a Transformer, one of the USB3 cable pins is used for identification of the tablet. The charger then switches to 15V voltage. See this and this threads.

Any USB3 extension cable should be OK to use. I haven't tried that myself, but I'm sure it would work.