Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,326 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Improvements towards messaging app bbm/imessages

Tip us?

blackguy101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Default Improvements towards messaging app bbm/imessages

So as much as I love android there is one thing that I kinda of envy when it comes to blackberrys and Iphones and and that would be bbm/imessages. Now im well aware there are apps out there like gtalk or chaton which acts like imessages but I personally would like to see this built into the messaging app itself. I am no developer or anything but it seems that imessages works on the device when it is linked towards the email used for the app store so would it not be easy for google to implement this into their os? I mean on the start up of each android device it does ask you for your gmail password so I was just thinking that this just may be a really nice feature to come out with key lime pie or something. Does anyone else feel this way?

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Default Re: Improvements towards messaging app bbm/imessages

Is this any different from Google Talk? Instant Messaging tied to the Gmail account, rather than the phone number. It's just not as immensely popular.

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk

blackguy101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeds View Post
Is this any different from Google Talk? Instant Messaging tied to the Gmail account, rather than the phone number. It's just not as immensely popular.

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk
Well thats the thing. GTalk is perfect but for example all of my friends who own android products havent even heard of it. Im just thinking if google linked GTalk to a phone number then it could be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackguy101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shawn01
Old
Thanks Meter 30

I agree. This would be amazing.

KSprec
Old
Thanks Meter 7

Yes that would be awesome

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

blackguy101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
So I guess a better question is what are the odds of this actually being implemented into the next update?

timkd127
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I have to admit that I do miss bbm from when I used blackberry's. But besides that mild feeling of exclusivity I don't really think its much different thn just texting

blackguy101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkd127 View Post
I have to admit that I do miss bbm from when I used blackberry's. But besides that mild feeling of exclusivity I don't really think its much different thn just texting
Ya i hear ya. I guess the only reason I feel something like Imessages would be helpful is because if we are in places with almost no service but there is wifi it would be pretty amazing. Then again i would be scared for samsung or google to implement this because the last thing we need is another apple lawsuit haha

jayochs
Old
Thanks Meter 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackguy101 View Post
So I guess a better question is what are the odds of this actually being implemented into the next update?
1 in 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

if google would make it part of the steup wizard and allow images/sounds to be transferred over gtalk, it would be amazing.
LG G2
Samsung Galaxy S Tab 8.4 (white)
Google Nexus 7 (2013)

Previous Devices:

HTC One M8 (returned)
Samsung Galaxy S5 (returned)
HTC Droid DNA
Samsung Galaxy SIII 16gb Blue

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (sold)
Nexus 7 2012 (sold)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (sold)
Samsung Galaxy SIII 16gb White (sold)
HTC Incredible (AMOLED)
HTC Eris

HTC Rezound (sold)
HTC Evo View 4G

The Following User Says Thank You to jayochs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
imessages, key, lime, messages, text