5,593,458 Members 36,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu is HERE!!!

Tip us?
 
SayWhat10
Old
#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 198
Posts: 2,382
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami
Default Re: Ubuntu is HERE!!!

Dual boot is mandatory for me to do this
 
fredphoesh
Old
#12  
fredphoesh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 758
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhat10 View Post
Dual boot is mandatory for me to do this
agreed. dual boot or no go!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nexus 5 stock < SGS4 9505 < Sony XperiaZ < SGS3-LTE < SGS3 < SGS2 <- SGS <- iPhone 4 (3 weeks) <- HTC Hero <- HTC Touch HD <- N95
& NEXUS 10 - 4.3 JWR66Y
Windows 8.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredphoesh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
horatiob
Old
#13  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 236
Join Date: Jul 2009
if there is ubuntu for android where you have access to your android apps. Why cant we do that with our nexus 10?

I dont care for dualbooting if I can have access to android apps from within ubuntu.
 
fredphoesh
Old
#14  
fredphoesh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 758
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Re: Ubuntu is HERE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiob View Post
if there is ubuntu for android where you have access to your android apps. Why cant we do that with our nexus 10?

I dont care for dualbooting if I can have access to android apps from within ubuntu.
As far as I know you do not have access to your android applications you simply have ubuntu.

Sent from a SGS3 GT-i9305
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nexus 5 stock < SGS4 9505 < Sony XperiaZ < SGS3-LTE < SGS3 < SGS2 <- SGS <- iPhone 4 (3 weeks) <- HTC Hero <- HTC Touch HD <- N95
& NEXUS 10 - 4.3 JWR66Y
Windows 8.1
 
Recon Freak
Old
#15  
Recon Freak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 262
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Evansville, IN
Default Re: Ubuntu is HERE!!!

Loving this. You know they're turning this loose for the imaginative dev/hacker community to get great ideas for a full release on their own devices. It will benefit all in the long run. Google better embrace this as the future, I hope.

Sent from my LT28at using XDA Premium HD app
 
SayWhat10
Old
#16  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 198
Posts: 2,382
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredphoesh View Post
As far as I know you do not have access to your android applications you simply have ubuntu.
well that sounds like............it sucks. smh

i mean all these people happy to that ubuntu is about here, that they would give up all their android apps? really????????????????
 
jonstrong
Old
#17  
jonstrong's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 654
Posts: 1,597
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon Freak View Post
Loving this. You know they're turning this loose for the imaginative dev/hacker community to get great ideas for a full release on their own devices. It will benefit all in the long run. Google better embrace this as the future, I hope.
It's great seeing this kind of development, but I'm not yet clear that it's something that would help Google or necessarily benefit the majority of the user community...at least not in the near term. Google's been working hard at gaining market acceptance for Android, and a significant component of this will likely be, increasingly, the availability of Android as an internally consistent ecosystem that spans phone and tablets. Ubuntu is pushing the same idea, i.e., a single ecosystem that encompasses phones, tablets and PC's -- and that's great. But unless there's interoperability between OS's, it may be a while before the consumer market is ready to embrace yet another mobile OS in a big way, as appealing as Ubuntu may be.

My Android phone (Galaxy Nexus) and tablets (N10 and N7) work so well together these days that I really wouldn't want to replace any of them with a device running an OS and aps that didn't "connect" with my other devices as well and seamlessly as they all work together now. I'm also not about to replace all 3 devices right away, and start fresh finding apps that mimic the functionality of the 100+ Android apps that I have installed.

Android and Ubuntu are both based on Linux at the lowest levels, so they can take advantage of common hardware drivers. But at the app level, they're based on different languages and runtime systems - so far. At the moment, Android apps can't run on Ubuntu in any kind of native mode and vice versa. While Google is working to gain broad acceptance of Android, what incentive would they have to throw another OS in the mix at this stage of the game?
LG G2 (VzW vs980)
Innovate
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonstrong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
omac_ranger
Old
#18  
omac_ranger's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 221
Posts: 438
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstrong View Post
Android and Ubuntu are both based on Linux at the lowest levels, so they can take advantage of common hardware drivers. But at the app level, they're based on different languages and runtime systems - so far. At the moment, Android apps can't run on Ubuntu in any kind of native mode and vice versa. While Google is working to gain broad acceptance of Android, what incentive would they have to throw another OS in the mix at this stage of the game?
Well I meant to quote and managed to thank you - While they are based on different levels I do recall hearing that there would be a dalvik vm built into ubuntu to allow for android applications to run inside the system as well - as long as you have the apk and such. Similar to BlueStacks for W8 and Windows desktop.
 
jonstrong
Old
#19  
jonstrong's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 654
Posts: 1,597
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by omac_ranger View Post
Well I meant to quote and managed to thank you - While they are based on different levels I do recall hearing that there would be a dalvik vm built into ubuntu to allow for android applications to run inside the system as well - as long as you have the apk and such. Similar to BlueStacks for W8 and Windows desktop.
Thanks for the thanks, however inadvertent

As far as I've read, Canonical doesn't plan on creating a Dalvik JVM for Ubuntu any time soon. The statement from them suggested that they recognize that native compiled apps (the dev ecosystem on Ubuntu is primarily HTML5, QML, C++) will run faster and more efficiently than code running within a JVM -- this was part of the comment when asked if they were planning to incorporate a Dalvik emulator in Ubuntu. There's nothing to prevent someone from developing one, but making this work properly will also require cooperation between the Dalvik implementation and the security framework in Ubuntu -- certainly possible, but I'm guessing it could be a year before anything comprehensive along those lines is likely to make it to market.

There's also another question nagging at me: how will Google evolve Android over the next couple of years? With an increasing number of apps rolling out for Android, it's conceivable that multiple windows (such as Samsung already offers) may become a regular feature, apps will become increasingly powerful -- and the distinction, at least for many people and many applications -- between PC and Android device -- will become vanishingly small for many purposes. If that happens, my guess is that this would further reduce any incentive for Google to somehow tie Ubuntu in with Android.

Of course I could be 100% wrong, and this just be the kind of thinking that happens after a 12 hour day without enough coffee... I personally love the evolution of hardware and software, and look forward to seeing how this all pans out. Fun to speculate in the meantime.
LG G2 (VzW vs980)
Innovate
The Following User Says Thank You to jonstrong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dalingrin
Old
#20  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2717
Posts: 1,398
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstrong View Post
Thanks for the thanks, however inadvertent

As far as I've read, Canonical doesn't plan on creating a Dalvik JVM for Ubuntu any time soon. The statement from them suggested that they recognize that native compiled apps (the dev ecosystem on Ubuntu is primarily HTML5, QML, C++) will run faster and more efficiently than code running within a JVM -- this was part of the comment when asked if they were planning to incorporate a Dalvik emulator in Ubuntu. There's nothing to prevent someone from developing one, but making this work properly will also require cooperation between the Dalvik implementation and the security framework in Ubuntu -- certainly possible, but I'm guessing it could be a year before anything comprehensive along those lines is likely to make it to market.

There's also another question nagging at me: how will Google evolve Android over the next couple of years? With an increasing number of apps rolling out for Android, it's conceivable that multiple windows (such as Samsung already offers) may become a regular feature, apps will become increasingly powerful -- and the distinction, at least for many people and many applications -- between PC and Android device -- will become vanishingly small for many purposes. If that happens, my guess is that this would further reduce any incentive for Google to somehow tie Ubuntu in with Android.

Of course I could be 100% wrong, and this just be the kind of thinking that happens after a 12 hour day without enough coffee... I personally love the evolution of hardware and software, and look forward to seeing how this all pans out. Fun to speculate in the meantime.
Why does Ubuntu have to do anything with Google?
The developer preview is being made for Nexus devices but that's only because they are readily available and open to hacking.

I don't think Canonical realistically thinks Ubuntu will be the lead platform for Phones and Tablets but that's okay. They're currently trying to fill a niche with their tablet OS which is the enterprise market. This is one place where Android hasn't made a ton of inroads and it happens to be where Canonical makes their money(albeit still not profitable).

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes