Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,290 Members 53,180 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire HD losing root access - retry

Tip us?

miztah1999z
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuggel View Post
Yes the adb drivers are installed and I have the latest java. I'm not sure if it was unlocked or not. I did not press restore, when that came up I was too busy going oh sh!t, what do I do now and then it did something on it's own. I don't think it restored it since it is not running slow. I will hopefully have time tomorrow to mess with it a little more.
Be sure to click the restore next time. And it WILL be slow and sluggish. Then just remember to use QemuRoot method! THIS IS A MUST! YOU CAN"T DO SH*T ON YOUR KINDLE IF YOU DON'T DO THE QEMUROOT.
The Following User Says Thank You to miztah1999z For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zuggel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miztah1999z View Post
Be sure to click the restore next time. And it WILL be slow and sluggish. Then just remember to use QemuRoot method! THIS IS A MUST! YOU CAN"T DO SH*T ON YOUR KINDLE IF YOU DON'T DO THE QEMUROOT.
Seems to have worked, just got done with RootQemu and it said it was done. After the restore, I didn't have an pictures (icons, screen saver) which had me a little worried, they came back after step 3 though. Superuser is back on. Now to re-remember what I need to do now (adding turn off OTA updates to the list).

Thanks a lot for your help miztah!!

Krsmqn, i ordered one of those cables just in case I need it in the future. I figure for a few $ i would rather have it than not.

miztah1999z
Old
(Last edited by miztah1999z; 21st February 2013 at 07:26 PM.) Reason: forgot to add a link
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Seems to have worked, just got done with RootQemu and it said it was done. After the restore, I didn't have an pictures (icons, screen saver) which had me a little worried, they came back after step 3 though. Superuser is back on. Now to re-remember what I need to do now (adding turn off OTA updates to the list).

Thanks a lot for your help miztah!!

Krsmqn, i ordered one of those cables just in case I need it in the future. I figure for a few $ i would rather have it than not.
No problem, I was in the same predicament as you a couple of weeks ago. Have fun with your rooted kindle! And be sure to disable Amazon OTA updates. Here is a link: (I would use method number 1 because you can use that utility for a while, and use it to fix a bricked Kindle, now that the bootloader has been cracked.) You don't really need that cable unless you are messing around with the bootloader.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2086450

Zuggel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the link. The cable is already on it's way via a slow boat from china. Figure I will have it in a month

I am now having a problem with the apex launcher. I had the regular version before and was going to try the pro this time. I installed it and when I go to run it it says "Apex launcher has stopped". When I go to the app description page, it give me the option to force stop but not to uninstall. I tried reinstalling it same thing. I moved the apk file to /system/app and gave it user R/W, group & other read only. then installed. Do i perhaps need to manually delete something?

Krsmqn
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Default Re: Kindle Fire HD losing root access - retry

Try completely removing it from both system /application & data/ application (if applicable), save one to your sdcard. Then instead of clicking on the application to install, long press (on the one you saved to sdcard ) and choose move (to). Move the application to system /app. Do not install. Instead, long press and choose properties (at the bottom of the long press menu ). Change permissions to rw-r-r. Save. Do not Install. Reboot. You should see "kindle is upgrading" upon rebooting. When it's ready, you should have it as a launcher option.

Good luck.
Do you own a ZTE Source? If so, visit the ZTE Source thread!

Is your Kindle bricked? Visit the Kindle Fire First Aide thread. Get a SkOrPn Factory Cable.

miztah1999z
Old
(Last edited by miztah1999z; 22nd February 2013 at 05:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 16
Default Re: Kindle Fire HD losing root access - retry

Or you could just delete the apex launcher from system. /Application and the data/app . Then reboot, install apex from play store and move from data application to system application, and change properties to rwxrxr and reboot without installing. Kinda the same thing just a little change in beginning.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
If I helped you in any way, hit the thanks button!

Zuggel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I tried it that way you suggested Krsmqn, same thing, the error message saying apex launcher has stopped. I did not see a file to delete in the data/app folder unless it has an odd name.

Zuggel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Or you could just delete the apex launcher from system. /Application and the data/app . Then reboot, install apex from play store and move from data application to system application, and change properties to rwxrxr and reboot without installing. Kinda the same thing just a little change in beginning.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
Seems to be working so far....I wonder if it was an issue because I was trying to use the pro version?

2 reboots and no issues!!

miztah1999z
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Seems to be working so far....I wonder if it was an issue because I was trying to use the pro version?

2 reboots and no issues!!
So did you fix it my way or qrsmn way?

Zuggel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
So did you fix it my way or qrsmn way?
I followed what you had said, d/l from the app store and moving it. When I was in settings it had a message in red about going to recently used apps and removing other loaders listed. I will check when I get home and see if it is still there.