Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,534 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Switching from S3 to DNA - any regrets?

Tip us?

boe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Default [Q] Switching from S3 to DNA - any regrets?

Hello,

I'm thinking about switching phones this weekend and am just curious if there is anything you miss about the s3? I'm fine with whiz or sense - I've had both HTC and Samsung's before.

The two most important things to me are Battery life and reception. I push the battery life on my S3 every day as BT is always on and I need it on at all times as I always use my BT headset.

My reception my my S3 sucks so that is the main reason I need to switch. I don't expect battery life to be better on the DNA but I can't afford for it to be worse.

yevgenydev
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default juice dmendri

Working AOSP roms. I should have looked back at the thunderbolt, and remembered the terribly hard time it was for the community to create a working AOSP experience. I should have applied that for all HTC phones.

The bells and whistles on the HTC is nice, but all that nice processing power is just to be able to run Sense decently.

mmmboba
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Hello,

I'm thinking about switching phones this weekend and am just curious if there is anything you miss about the s3? I'm fine with whiz or sense - I've had both HTC and Samsung's before.

The two most important things to me are Battery life and reception. I push the battery life on my S3 every day as BT is always on and I need it on at all times as I always use my BT headset.

My reception my my S3 sucks so that is the main reason I need to switch. I don't expect battery life to be better on the DNA but I can't afford for it to be worse.
No regrets.

Battery life for me has been better then my S3. Reception and GPS is much better for me as well

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgenydev View Post
Working AOSP roms. I should have looked back at the thunderbolt, and remembered the terribly hard time it was for the community to create a working AOSP experience. I should have applied that for all HTC phones.

The bells and whistles on the HTC is nice, but all that nice processing power is just to be able to run Sense decently.
It runs Sense perfectly with power to spare. The battery life is much better than I expected and my expectations were low coming from the Rezound.
Phone:

LG G3 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Retired Phones: HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014, Shield Portable

Trooper Thorn
Old
Thanks Meter 64
No regrets here. The only thing I sort of miss from my S3 is the shape of it. I really liked how it felt in my hand, though it was a tad too slippery.

The battery life is very comparable, though I found that the S3 outlasts the DNA a little bit in the Screen On Time department, but otherwise they both typically give me the same amount of battery life.

The reception is WAY better on the DNA than the S3. No comparison whatsoever.

vdChild
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Default Re: [Q] Switching from S3 to DNA - any regrets?

I had an s3 at launch for about 4 months and after severe reception issues Verizon actually sent me a DNA as a replacement. After having the DNA I don't know how I lived with the reception... Battery wise about the same. Very happy coming from the s3. Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

dbdynsty25
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Agree with everyone else here. The reception and battery life are superior on the DNA. However, I'm also in the camp that likes the form factor (power button on the right side, volume on the left) quite a bit more. Oh, and the notification light being more configurable is a huge plus for the S3 as well. Other than that...the DNA is pretty impressive and I only occasionally wish I hadn't switched.

iOSh8er
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Default Re: [Q] Switching from S3 to DNA - any regrets?

Google wallet working...

Please don't touch my "Thanks" button, it doesn't like you...
Support your Devs
OnePlusOne
The Following User Says Thank You to iOSh8er For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dri94
Old
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Hello,

if your not on verizon id recommend waiting to see what the htc one is about. if you are the dna is a great device. battery life lasts, it has plenty of features and viper rom is amazing. CM looks like its a possibitlity of coming but dont ever buy a phone based on what you think can come out later, you might be disappointed. screen is great, new radios fixed all connection problems people were having. id recommend it highly if your on verizon

jlamb76049
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I own both devices and the DNA is definitely the better device.

Tags
s3 dna battery reception