FORUMS

How a HTC Droid Eris Changed a Members Life

Rarely can a member say that Android development or XDA had a profound effect on … more

XDA Office Space: Frankenstein’s Perfect IM Client?

The portal’s decentralized XDA office lies in a Hangouts chatroom, where … more

Which IM Client on Android is best?

With so many different messengers to choose from, it can be tough to find the best one for you and … more

Android Factory Reset Security Flaw and More – XDA TV

Nvidia is releasing a 500Gb SHIELD TV Pro! That and much more news is … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Fresh from the NYC HTC Event, My Opinions

20th February 2013, 10:38 AM |#21  
nitsuj17's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 17,102
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndaoud360

is the carousel swiping of home screens still there because I saw a vid and it didn't look like it the carousel effect was still there but I could be wrong.

There is no carousel or cube homescreen transition, its just flat screen to screen like lite sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by irockthebear

Is the DNA getting Sense 5? b/c that would be awesome and sense 5 prototype was spotted running on DNA? But prally not because VZW is a POS and needs a year+ to put on bloatware.

I really doubt the DNA see official sense 5....based on my limited time with it, I prefer sense4+
 
 
20th February 2013, 10:53 AM |#22  
Member
Flag Pittsfield, MA.
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Can't go back from a 5" size screen. Too late.

Plus I prefer the "rubberized" backing of the DNA.
20th February 2013, 01:54 PM |#23  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
I've seen a number of posts that indicate "I srsly doubt Sense 5 will see life on the DNA".

Posters range from highly credentialed developer types to usernames I don't recognize.

Are these baseless guesses or educated and informed opinions? Because I would be a little cheezed off if a phone that was basically brand new (the DNA) and was considered HTCs tentpole device on a major carrier wasn't being considered for their latest firmware. Yes, I know VZW is a stakeholder in this too, and they don't exactly have a sterling record when it comes to prompt releases of an OEMs latest and greatest anything.

I'm more interested in the reiteration of "Sense 5 probably isn't coming". Is this the XDA echo chamber at work, or does someone know something/has something from HTC to go on?
20th February 2013, 02:53 PM |#24  
nitsuj17's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 17,102
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlivin

I've seen a number of posts that indicate "I srsly doubt Sense 5 will see life on the DNA".

Posters range from highly credentialed developer types to usernames I don't recognize.

Are these baseless guesses or educated and informed opinions? Because I would be a little cheezed off if a phone that was basically brand new (the DNA) and was considered HTCs tentpole device on a major carrier wasn't being considered for their latest firmware. Yes, I know VZW is a stakeholder in this too, and they don't exactly have a sterling record when it comes to prompt releases of an OEMs latest and greatest anything.

I'm more interested in the reiteration of "Sense 5 probably isn't coming". Is this the XDA echo chamber at work, or does someone know something/has something from HTC to go on?

its based on track record, and just guesswork.....honestly? even if htc made an accouncement that "the dna will receive sense5" thats not a guarantee

htc officially announced last spring that incredible 2 would have ics "by the end of august 2012"....its february 2013 and theyre preparing another gingerbread ota

some will probably love sense5, other not so much....frankly i think given the rather large changes in sense5, htc and carriers are asking for a support headache if they ota an update with it to the dna/x+ gen of phones...with people being confused by blinkfeed, and *missing* features like the removed htc lockscreens (weather included) and no longer having htc skins

now htc could always add things like that back in for certain phones, but who knows

the only definitive answer will ever get on the dna getting sense5 is if an ota for it happens
20th February 2013, 03:33 PM |#25  
.torrented's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Suffolk, VA
Thanks Meter: 1,482
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: Fresh from the NYC HTC Event, My Opinions
The phone actually sounds nice I like what I heard... How did the performance feel compared to the dna

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
20th February 2013, 03:47 PM |#26  
zone23's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,290
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by irockthebear

Is the DNA getting Sense 5? b/c that would be awesome and sense 5 prototype was spotted running on DNA? But prally not because VZW is a POS and needs a year+ to put on bloatware.

I too seriously doubt the DNA will get Official Sense 5. I have never seen HTC upgrade from say 4+ to a 5+ . They always come up with some crap like the processor can't handle it and then in the same sentence say how the new Sense is more efficient. They are in the business of selling phones they want you to pay for the latest. That is certainly one area iOS beats HTC/Android.
20th February 2013, 04:05 PM |#27  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17

its based on track record, and just guesswork.....honestly? even if htc made an accouncement that "the dna will receive sense5" thats not a guarantee

htc officially announced last spring that incredible 2 would have ics "by the end of august 2012"....its february 2013 and theyre preparing another gingerbread ota

some will probably love sense5, other not so much....frankly i think given the rather large changes in sense5, htc and carriers are asking for a support headache if they ota an update with it to the dna/x+ gen of phones...with people being confused by blinkfeed, and *missing* features like the removed htc lockscreens (weather included) and no longer having htc skins

now htc could always add things like that back in for certain phones, but who knows

the only definitive answer will ever get on the dna getting sense5 is if an ota for it happens

Hey, you're preaching to the choir: I'm an ex-Thunderbolt owner. ICS by 2012 Q3!

However, based on what must have been concurrent development of the DNA/J Butterfly and the HTC One, I would have to believe SOMEONE at HTC would have had an eye towards standardization across their portfolio of current-right-now devices, right? Maybe I'm expecting too much.

As someone whose knowledge of what's going on within an RUU/ROM can fill a thimble, I have no idea how significant the changes are between current Sense and v5. I just wanted to know if the grapevine was chatting, of if this was an extrapolation from HTC's less than pristine track record.

Funny, people used to bitch about how infrequently Samsungs were updated. The worm appears to have decidedly turned in that capacity.
20th February 2013, 04:08 PM |#28  
nitsuj17's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 17,102
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by .torrented

The phone actually sounds nice I like what I heard... How did the performance feel compared to the dna

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

everything felt "smoother" i guess (not saying the dna is laggy by any means), but i think that sense5 is more like *lite* sense on the one v, where as there are no assets/m10 and the roms are slimmer

there was flat transitions on the homescreen which contributed to that feel as well

app load time seemed about the same however
The Following User Says Thank You to nitsuj17 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2013, 05:32 PM |#29  
trebb's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag DC
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Seeing as how it only has two hardware buttons and the home button doubles as Google Now and recent apps, is the software menu button present at the bottom of certain apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)? I'm not sure if they had any apps on the testing phones to check this, but I figured I'd ask.

If this is still present, I'm thinking someone at HTC is on crack.
20th February 2013, 06:13 PM |#30  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 120
 
More
I can't wait to see a comparison of the camera. Down the road all i will really have left from the device are the pictures.

Also, i'd like a smaller screen size like the inc 4g (i know i'm a minority here, but at least i'm not asking for zoolanders phone
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes