Sony Extends AOSP Project to the Xperia Z3

While most OEMs simply don’t care about the custom ROM community, others are doing an … more

How Open Source Can Help Your Project w/ Ethan Yonker – BABBQ2014

People have finally recovered from this years Big Android BBQ … more

Add Frequency Bands to Your Qualcomm Device

Those of you who travel quite a bit undoubtedly own more than one device due to frequency band … more

More Android 5.0 Details Revealed, Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker – XDA TV

Google talks more about Android 5.0 Lollipop! That and much … more

Wifi problem with Viper Rom

OP cincincy

25th February 2013, 06:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I have reinstalled the rom several times using default settings. Wifi will not turn on. Wifi works fine with Stock DNA debloat Rom. 3g/4g works fine on Viper Rom..
I am sure this is something unique with my particular phone' Any suggestions?

I am prob considered a noob. But can read and follow direction.

Thanks for any help
25th February 2013, 06:51 PM   |  #2  
Flag Perchtoldsdorf/Vienna
Thanks Meter: 554

668 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincincy

I have reinstalled the rom several times using default settings. Wifi will not turn on. Wifi works fine with Stock DNA debloat Rom. 3g/4g works fine on Viper Rom..
I am sure this is something unique with my particular phone' Any suggestions?

I am prob considered a noob. But can read and follow direction.

Thanks for any help

have you flashed a different kernel (Boot.img), then you should use the flash is included in the rom
25th February 2013, 08:10 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 20

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by letschky

have you flashed a different kernel (Boot.img), then you should use the flash is included in the rom

Had the same problem, even with s-off need to flash it's boot image in fastboot with adb-it will then work fine..
25th February 2013, 08:17 PM   |  #4  
Flag Fountain Hills, AZ.
Thanks Meter: 262

384 posts
More
and you have to flash the kernel "modules" to get wifi to work
25th February 2013, 08:22 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Grovetown, Ga
Thanks Meter: 1,243

1,812 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamark

and you have to flash the kernel "modules" to get wifi to work

Right. The boot.img is not the important part. If you want a different kernel, then flash the boot.img for that kernel. You only need to do this once. BUT! When you flash new roms, you need to reflash the wifi modules for "EACH" kernel, everytime you flash a new rom. So, save the wifi modules on your phone somewhere, and when you flash a new rom, just flash the modules again after the rom finishes before rebooting system.
25th February 2013, 11:00 PM   |  #6  

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonstalker

Right. The boot.img is not the important part. If you want a different kernel, then flash the boot.img for that kernel. You only need to do this once. BUT! When you flash new roms, you need to reflash the wifi modules for "EACH" kernel, everytime you flash a new rom. So, save the wifi modules on your phone somewhere, and when you flash a new rom, just flash the modules again after the rom finishes before rebooting system.

Perhaps true but flashing the boot image if you have not done so worked...at least it did for me.
26th February 2013, 05:30 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Grovetown, Ga
Thanks Meter: 1,243

1,812 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootntootn

Perhaps true but flashing the boot image if you have not done so worked...at least it did for me.

So root, you are saying that the ops need to make it clear to flash the selected kernel (boot.img) before flashing the rom? I'm under the impression that most have already selected a kernel and flashed that before flashing the rom. Sorry if I assumed wrong.
26th February 2013, 05:35 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 531

2,373 posts
Re: Wifi problem with Viper Rom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonstalker

So root, you are saying that the ops need to make it clear to flash the selected kernel (boot.img) before flashing the rom? I'm under the impression that most have already selected a kernel and flashed that before flashing the rom. Sorry if I assumed wrong.

Most roms have a kernel included in it. And if it hasn't been updated since s off came out then you will need to flash the boot.img in the thread to get everything working.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
26th February 2013, 10:46 AM   |  #9  

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigandrewgold

Most roms have a kernel included in it. And if it hasn't been updated since s off came out then you will need to flash the boot.img in the thread to get everything working.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

This is what I understand to be correct and what has worked a few times for me. S-off was supposed to eliminate this but not if the rom was written before that process was available or not specifically updated after-which is most of them at this point.
26th February 2013, 07:53 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
thanks
thanks for your help. all i needed wast the correct kernel. thanks again

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread