Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Newb With Rooting Questions

Tip us?

Better n' Reverse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well I followed the video exactly and I cant get ADP to run when I type in ADP the command still and have double checked everything...

TJMac44
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better n' Reverse View Post
Well I followed the video exactly and I cant get ADP to run when I type in ADP the command still and have double checked everything...
depending on what you named your directories are you going to the platform-tools directory? you need to type adb not adp, lower case not caps, and then there needs to be a command after adb. Try adb devices.

Bigandrewgold
Old
Thanks Meter 531
Default Re: [Q] Newb With Rooting Questions

Quote:
You set up your system variables crooectly?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

.torrented
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1473

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Newb With Rooting Questions

Quote:
It's adb not adp

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Better n' Reverse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMac44 View Post
depending on what you named your directories are you going to the platform-tools directory? you need to type adb not adp, lower case not caps, and then there needs to be a command after adb. Try adb devices.
I believe so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigandrewgold View Post
You set up your system variables crooectly?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
Like I said I followed that vid exactly so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .torrented View Post
It's adb not adp

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app
Ya thats what I meant just wasnt paying attention last night

Better n' Reverse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well I got it unlocked finally but now when I go to flash the Recovery I just get an error... Sometimes the "emulator" one, "waiting on the device" , Or just cant the find file... Just doing it straight from the comand I open in the file or using Hansoon2000's tool...

ASAPscotty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Quick question

Hey, going to do a little thread jacking here. It seems like this would be the best place to ask my question. I'm a long-time iOS user that just switched and silly me accepted the OTA 2.04.605 update. Now, if I performed a hard reset wouldn't that put my software back to its factory settings and would allow me to unlock my bootloader? Sorry if this annoying just trying to make sure it'll work before I go through the hassle of restoring. Thanks for any help!

drumz0rz
Old
(Last edited by drumz0rz; 22nd February 2013 at 05:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Well I got it unlocked finally but now when I go to flash the Recovery I just get an error... Sometimes the "emulator" one, "waiting on the device" , Or just cant the find file... Just doing it straight from the comand I open in the file or using Hansoon2000's tool...
Your phone needs to be in fastboot for you to find it. Connect the phone, boot into the bootloader, enter fastboot, open a new command prompt, and try "fastboot devices". you should see the phone.

If you can't find the file then you're not in the right directory. Make sure you navigate to the folder that contains the file then run the command. (or you can just give it the full path to the file)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAPscotty View Post
Hey, going to do a little thread jacking here. It seems like this would be the best place to ask my question. I'm a long-time iOS user that just switched and silly me accepted the OTA 2.04.605 update. Now, if I performed a hard reset wouldn't that put my software back to its factory settings and would allow me to unlock my bootloader? Sorry if this annoying just trying to make sure it'll work before I go through the hassle of restoring. Thanks for any help!
No, I don't think that'll help. The factory reset basically wipes memory and restores the original ROM. The OTA updates the radios / kernel. But don't quote me on that. I'll let a dev who knows better comment.
HTC One M8
HTC Droid DNA - Retired
HTC Thunderbolt - Retired

ASAPscotty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
No, I don't think that'll help. The factory reset basically wipes memory and restores the original ROM. The OTA updates the radios / kernel. But don't quote me on that. I'll let a dev who knows better comment.
I think you are right because I have not heard of anyone suggesting this, and it was just my noob idea! Thanks for the help.

jasoraso
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAPscotty View Post
This question has been answered, but I thought I'd provide a little more detail to their answers:

On android, the memory is divided into several partitions (you might think of it like different disk drives), including a /boot, /system, and /data partition. The /boot partition is where the kernel (the heart of the android o/s) resides; the /system (where the bulk of the android o/s resides); the /data is where your apps and personal data reside. The /boot and /system partitions require system administrator level rights in order to change the information stored there (the system administrator account on android/linux is known as "root" or "superuser").

The update that came from VZW changed elements in the /system and /boot directories, using a superuser key to grant the update permission to change the files on those partitions.

Unfortunately, a factory reset only essentially re-formats the /data partition, wiping out all the user information stored there, but doesn't change the /system or /boot partitions.

The root process essentially hacks the device to gain system administrator rights to the android phone, using exploits in the android o/s. This is essentially a cat and mouse game. The update sent by VZW/HTC patches the exploits that were used to gain root access (that is why it is always dangerous to accept updates from VZW/HTC).

Hopefully the developers on this website will be able to find another exploit/weakness, and provide a way for those who have phones that have the update to obtain root, unlock the bootloader (another partition), and gain s-off (another level of turning a security flag to "off" so that even more partitions can be accessed/changed (ie.the /radio partition).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jasoraso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]