OP Better n' Reverse

23rd February 2013, 02:09 AM   |  #21  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Re: [Q] Newb With Rooting Questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz

Your phone needs to be in fastboot for you to find it. Connect the phone, boot into the bootloader, enter fastboot, open a new command prompt, and try "fastboot devices". you should see the phone.

If you can't find the file then you're not in the right directory. Make sure you navigate to the folder that contains the file then run the command. (or you can just give it the full path to the file)

I have it in fast boot mode everytime and have tried it from every folder I can think of...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
23rd February 2013, 05:46 AM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 7

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better n' Reverse

I have it in fast boot mode everytime and have tried it from every folder I can think of...

are you sure your computer recognizes your device? (if you type in: adb devices, do you see something under List of devices attached.. FA####?)
if not, you probably need to install the drivers.
I used PDAnet and it worked for me. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1983470
23rd February 2013, 06:15 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 7

235 posts
Re: [Q] Newb With Rooting Questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso

This question has been answered, but I thought I'd provide a little more detail to their answers:

On android, the memory is divided into several partitions (you might think of it like different disk drives), including a /boot, /system, and /data partition. The /boot partition is where the kernel (the heart of the android o/s) resides; the /system (where the bulk of the android o/s resides); the /data is where your apps and personal data reside. The /boot and /system partitions require system administrator level rights in order to change the information stored there (the system administrator account on android/linux is known as "root" or "superuser").

The update that came from VZW changed elements in the /system and /boot directories, using a superuser key to grant the update permission to change the files on those partitions.

Unfortunately, a factory reset only essentially re-formats the /data partition, wiping out all the user information stored there, but doesn't change the /system or /boot partitions.

The root process essentially hacks the device to gain system administrator rights to the android phone, using exploits in the android o/s. This is essentially a cat and mouse game. The update sent by VZW/HTC patches the exploits that were used to gain root access (that is why it is always dangerous to accept updates from VZW/HTC).

Hopefully the developers on this website will be able to find another exploit/weakness, and provide a way for those who have phones that have the update to obtain root, unlock the bootloader (another partition), and gain s-off (another level of turning a security flag to "off" so that even more partitions can be accessed/changed (ie.the /radio partition).

Something as nicely detailed as this should be posted in a LOT of threads for everyone to read, not kidding. Best written explanation I've ever seen.

23rd February 2013, 06:34 AM   |  #24  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Suffolk, VA
Thanks Meter: 1,477

2,789 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better n' Reverse

here i will post some output of what it should look like maybe to help you out...

Im gonna navigate to a random file to demonstrate what you should do, so what I did was navigate to the platform-tools folder, you are probably going to want to put your file you are flashing in there or anywhere you can navigate too, in this example I used an imaginary recovery.img file and this is how it should look when you do it.

Code:
C:\Users\Ryan>cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>fastboot devices
015d2d42263c1c0f        fastboot

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
error: cannot load 'recovery.img'
The red is my changing the directory to where the file "would be" located
The green is the reboot command to get into fastboot
The purple is me checking to see if my device is recognized by fastboot (you have to be booted into bootloader where it shows "fastboot usb"
The orange is the flash command to write the recovery.img to the recovery (and where I have it bold underlined and italicized is the name of the file yours might be different but its important to know the exact file name and the file extension in this case its a " .img " file)

***I didnt have a recovery.img file in my platform-tools folder but you will and yours would have flashed it or w/e file you put in there
Last edited by .torrented; 23rd February 2013 at 06:42 AM.
23rd February 2013, 10:01 AM   |  #25  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wils01

are you sure your computer recognizes your device? (if you type in: adb devices, do you see something under List of devices attached.. FA####?)
if not, you probably need to install the drivers.
I used PDAnet and it worked for me. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1983470

Ill try that just to be sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .torrented

here i will post some output of what it should look like maybe to help you out...

Im gonna navigate to a random file to demonstrate what you should do, so what I did was navigate to the platform-tools folder, you are probably going to want to put your file you are flashing in there or anywhere you can navigate too, in this example I used an imaginary recovery.img file and this is how it should look when you do it.

Code:
C:\Users\Ryan>cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>fastboot devices
015d2d42263c1c0f        fastboot

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
error: cannot load 'recovery.img'
The red is my changing the directory to where the file "would be" located
The green is the reboot command to get into fastboot
The purple is me checking to see if my device is recognized by fastboot (you have to be booted into bootloader where it shows "fastboot usb"
The orange is the flash command to write the recovery.img to the recovery (and where I have it bold underlined and italicized is the name of the file yours might be different but its important to know the exact file name and the file extension in this case its a " .img " file)

***I didnt have a recovery.img file in my platform-tools folder but you will and yours would have flashed it or w/e file you put in there

Thanks for doing that for me man Im gunna try it again now... Im frustrated just cuz I cant seem to do even the simplest things
23rd February 2013, 10:13 AM   |  #26  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,222

2,661 posts
More
If you're still stuck, please read my guide which is found in my signature below. Just skip the steps you have already taken elsewhere. Everything you need to know is in it. Unlike the other guide somebody linked you to, mine is very in depth and simple to follow with explained procedures.

Good luck friend
23rd February 2013, 10:55 AM   |  #27  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
Well I tried installing the Pda... Got all the way through the process and it wont connect to the internet so once again something that should be easy and it wont work!
23rd February 2013, 11:09 AM   |  #28  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2

If you're still stuck, please read my guide which is found in my signature below. Just skip the steps you have already taken elsewhere. Everything you need to know is in it. Unlike the other guide somebody linked you to, mine is very in depth and simple to follow with explained procedures.

Good luck friend

Ill try it thanks man
23rd February 2013, 11:21 AM   |  #29  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
I just get this no matter what I type... 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
23rd February 2013, 01:07 PM   |  #30  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,222

2,661 posts
More
Disable and re-enable USB Debugging mode in the developer settings of your phone, also verify that you are running command from the location where you installed SDK. In my guide I explained you need to be in that folder and then right click on a blank space while holding down the shift key, then click on open command window here.

Make sure phone is in fastboot not bootloader by simply clicking on the power button once while in your bootloader (if you haven't scrolled up or down)

If you have followed all of my instructions now and from the guide then I am not sure what is wrong.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread