Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,629 Members 54,469 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

testers needed- reset your lock status flag

Tip us?

CastleBravo
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Successfully tested the query, unlock, and lock zip files (didn't bother with the relocked one, its kinda pointless anyway). All worked with the newest CWM touch recovery without any errors. I also dumped mmcblk0p3 after testing, and the 01 remained untouched by the zip.

Here are the requested pics:

unlocked, before flashing zip

locked, after flashing zip

unlocked, after reverting from locked with zip
HTC Sensation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CastleBravo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scotty1223
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
Successfully tested the query, unlock, and lock zip files (didn't bother with the relocked one, its kinda pointless anyway). All worked with the newest CWM touch recovery without any errors. I also dumped mmcblk0p3 after testing, and the 01 remained untouched by the zip.

Here are the requested pics:

unlocked, before flashing zip

locked, after flashing zip

unlocked, after reverting from locked with zip
awsome! thnks for all your support and testing
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers(<-this means do not PM me questions)
donate to my device fund

Serinety
Old
(Last edited by Serinety; 28th February 2013 at 11:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 331

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: testers needed- reset your lock status flag

I think the work on this is great. Thanks for the time spent on this.

But... Has anyone had a problem getting replacement devices? I have easily had close to 100 or more replacement devices over the last 10 years as a vzw customer. I'm the guy you all hate, when I scratch my screen I call up customer service and male up some lame excuse about how something isn't working right and they send me a replacement. Point is, I send all my phones back, rooted, unlocked, and running roms. I've never been, ever, had an issue. So while I can appreciate the work being done, I question the necessity.

Can any one tell me why I would ever need to do this? Is the warranty issues I don't know about where being unlocked would cause a problem?

To be clear, I am not in anyway discrediting these guys, what they do is incredible, and I sincerely appreciate it. I just don't know I would use it, so I'd like someone to hook me up with info

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

CastleBravo
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serinety View Post
I think the work on this is great. Thanks for the time spent on this.

But... Has anyone had a problem getting replacement devices? I have easily had close to 100 or more replacement devices over the last 10 years as a vzw customer. I'm the guy you all hate, when I scratch my screen I call up customer service and male up some lame excuse about how something isn't working right and they send me a replacement. Point is, I send all my phones back, rooted, unlocked, and running roms. I've never been, ever, had an issue. So while I can appreciate the work being done, I question the necessity.

Can any one tell me why I would ever need to do this? Is the warranty issues I don't know about where being unlocked would cause a problem?

I just switched to vzw from t-mo in December and I haven't had to send back a device yet so I don't have any personal experience of how picky they are, but back on t-mobile they were crazy about this type of thing. Sometimes people got away with it, sometimes they didn't, but there were a significant number of people that got caught. To get a replacement you first had to take it to a store where they checked the bootloader and a few other things (they cared enough to train every employee to check the bootloader of every type of phone... fairly significant effort went into this) and they checked it again at the repair center. Even if it was a hardware problem completely unrelated to rooting, they'd say flat out no at the store if it was unlocked. If they found it at the repair center they'd sometimes want people to pay for the repairs or to replace the whole device. Back on the htc sensation forums, people would occasionally hard brick phones to stop them from finding out if for some reason they couldn't get it back to stock s-on.

So I'm still kinda paranoid about it from t-mobile... And the actual method is in another thread and is completed and noob-proof, so theres no harm in doing it anyway if you need it.
HTC Sensation

Serinety
Old
Thanks Meter 331

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
I just switched to vzw from t-mo in December and I haven't had to send back a device yet so I don't have any personal experience of how picky they are, but back on t-mobile they were crazy about this type of thing. Sometimes people got away with it, sometimes they didn't, but there were a significant number of people that got caught. To get a replacement you first had to take it to a store where they checked the bootloader and a few other things (they cared enough to train every employee to check the bootloader of every type of phone... fairly significant effort went into this) and they checked it again at the repair center. Even if it was a hardware problem completely unrelated to rooting, they'd say flat out no at the store if it was unlocked. If they found it at the repair center they'd sometimes want people to pay for the repairs or to replace the whole device. Back on the htc sensation forums, people would occasionally hard brick phones to stop them from finding out if for some reason they couldn't get it back to stock s-on.

So I'm still kinda paranoid about it from t-mobile... And the actual method is in another thread and is completed and noob-proof, so theres no harm in doing it anyway if you need it.
I could definitely understand the paranoia coming from t-mobile lol. Well on vzw, it's a 5 min process over the phone "hi, my phone doesn't <insert random unfixable, hardware problem here > I've done a master reset and bought a new charger but it's still doing it." "okay sir, a new one is on its way, anything else?"

I have never in 10 years gone into a store for any service. I only deal with 611

The Following User Says Thank You to Serinety For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CastleBravo
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
I could definitely understand the paranoia coming from t-mobile lol. Well on vzw, it's a 5 min process over the phone "hi, my phone doesn't <insert random unfixable, hardware problem here > I've done a master reset and bought a new charger but it's still doing it." "okay sir, a new one is on its way, anything else?"

I have never in 10 years gone into a store for any service. I only deal with 611

Every day I start liking Verizon even more lol.
HTC Sensation

scotty1223
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,309

Quote:
I'm the guy you all hate, when I scratch my screen I call up customer service and male up some lame excuse about how something isn't working right and they send me a replacement.
You're right with that statment. The fact that folks will use it for fraudulent claims makes me not even want to share info like this.

I'm of the opinion if you break your stuff you should man up to it,and pay for it. Your fraudulent warranty claims are making device and service prices higher for the rest of us. Thanks

How you've conned vzw out out a hundred devices is not something I would brag about.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers(<-this means do not PM me questions)
donate to my device fund
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Serinety
Old
Thanks Meter 331

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1223 View Post
You're right with that statment. The fact that folks will use it for fraudulent claims makes me not even want to share info like this.

I'm of the opinion if you break your stuff you should man up to it,and pay for it. Your fraudulent warranty claims are making device and service prices higher for the rest of us. Thanks

How you've conned vzw out out a hundred devices is not something I would brag about.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Well you're right, and my point was not to brag, it was to under stand the need to do this.

As far as me, personally being responsible for your extra costs, that's a stretch. I worked as a store manager for a major retail chain for many years, and I can assure, at least at my stores, frodulent returns were the least of my concerns. We had a budget specifically for RTMs, (return to manufacturer) that was there regardless of the legitimacy of the return. I suspect vzw has the same budget and credits in place.

Anyway, i dont want to venture anymore off topic than this, thanks for your work none the less

Bigandrewgold
Old
Thanks Meter 531

Quote:
Well you're right, and my point was not to brag, it was to under stand the need to do this.

As far as me, personally being responsible for your extra costs, that's a stretch. I worked as a store manager for a major retail chain for many years, and I can assure, at least at my stores, frodulent returns were the least of my concerns. We had a budget specifically for RTMs, (return to manufacturer) that was there regardless of the legitimacy of the return. I suspect vzw has the same budget and credits in place.

Anyway, i dont want to venture anymore off topic than this, thanks for your work none the less

And none of that makes it any less illegal or morally wrong to file tens of thousands of dollars worth of false claims.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigandrewgold For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beaups
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5,587

DONATE TO ME
Nice work scotty, but are we over complicating things?

if we want to lock:

adb shell
su
echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33780

if we want to unlock

adb shell
su
echo -ne "HTCU" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33780

Don't screw up these commands btw (copy paste them).

The Following User Says Thank You to beaups For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]