Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,754 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Tip us?
 
RichMD
Old
(Last edited by RichMD; 25th May 2013 at 04:38 PM.)
#1  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 757
Posts: 1,515
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Talking Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Update 5/13/13 - This is DerTeufel1980's thread for the kernel which works for both AOSP and TW. Dual-boot is not yet working yet though. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2239453

FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
PAID - $10 - rayandreas
PAID - $50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
PAID - $29 - btpd21
PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
PAID - $5 - muqali
PAID - $10 - rlee008
$5 - kingP1n
$5 - deviusdragger
$5 - lovekeiiy
PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
PAID - $5 ristiisa
PAID - $10 Grant Barker
** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2239453
He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :P
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RichMD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nosympathy
Old
#2  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1132
Posts: 2,380
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cincinnati

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $306.00

Recognized developer and thanks don't really stand for much anymore.

There is a dev on another phone considered recognized and with way more thanks than that, and he so far has had two phones I know of handed too him and he possibly stole work on the first and released nothing but completely stock AOSP that took him months to make on the second phone while we had RIL and CM10 long before he got to the phone.

The above is why I don't donate until after work has been created anymore. If it is a dev I've seen produce I'd consider it.

I for one hate these.

Said my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RichMD
Old
#3  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 757
Posts: 1,515
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $306.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Recognized developer and thanks don't really stand for much anymore.

There is a dev on another phone considered recognized and with way more thanks than that, and he so far has had two phones I know of handed too him and he possibly stole work on the first and released nothing but completely stock AOSP that took him months to make on the second phone while we had RIL and CM10 long before he got to the phone.

The above is why I don't donate until after work has been created anymore. If it is a dev I've seen produce I'd consider it.

I for one hate these.

Said my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
I included the post where he produced a dual-boot kernel. I understand you must have been burned in the past. However, please do a bit of research before stating something so negative that does not apply in this particular instance. Nobody else (that I have seen) has produced a dual-boot kernel for a phone. He could easily decide to get a completely different phone so we would lose the benefit of his work on a phone we have. He can't provide the benefit without the phone to work on. I'm not trying to start a flame-war. I just think a lot of people would like this capability.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate
The Following User Says Thank You to RichMD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RichMD
Old
#4  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 757
Posts: 1,515
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Up to 310 now

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate
 
nosympathy
Old
#5  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1132
Posts: 2,380
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cincinnati

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
I included the post where he produced a dual-boot kernel. I understand you must have been burned in the past. However, please do a bit of research before stating something so negative that does not apply in this particular instance. Nobody else (that I have seen) has produced a dual-boot kernel for a phone. He could easily decide to get a completely different phone so we would lose the benefit of his work on a phone we have. He can't provide the benefit without the phone to work on. I'm not trying to start a flame-war. I just think a lot of people would like this capability.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
I am just not a fan of these period. I've never been burned. I refuse to donate for work undone.

This other dev had work done in the past. Proof of work.

Not to say this dev isn't worth having, I just refuse to donate to work not done.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
adrynalyne
Old
#6  
adrynalyne's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
Posts: 9,619
Join Date: Dec 2008
There are also rules about this, specifically not doing it. I get you want it done, but I don't see the developer even coming in here and showing interest. That is a cause for concern.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!
The Following User Says Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RichMD
Old
#7  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 757
Posts: 1,515
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
There are also rules about this, specifically not doing it. I get you want it done, but I don't see the developer even coming in here and showing interest. That is a cause for concern.
What rules are you talking about? No moderator has sent any PM and I'm sure the threads have been seen at this point.

I will ask DerTeufel1980 to post in the thread if that makes a difference. He posted in the AT&T thread that I started with.
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate
 
adrynalyne
Old
#8  
adrynalyne's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5669
Posts: 9,619
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
What rules are you talking about? No moderator has sent any PM and I'm sure the threads have been seen at this point.

I will ask DerTeufel1980 to post in the thread if that makes a difference. He posted in the AT&T thread that I started with.
I am not going to pull up the precise verbiage, as you can do that. However there are explicit rules for no donations on work unseen. There have been many a fiery thread in this forum on that very detail and each one was closed. I don't care either way but if you want to alleviate people's concerns, get the dev to come in here and show interest and then get moderator approval for the thread. Don't be surprised if it gets shut down though.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
DerTeufel1980
Old
#9  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22031
Posts: 7,425
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
I am not going to pull up the precise verbiage, as you can do that. However there are explicit rules for no donations on work unseen. There have been many a fiery thread in this forum on that very detail and each one was closed. I don't care either way but if you want to alleviate people's concerns, get the dev to come in here and show interest and then get moderator approval for the thread. Don't be surprised if it gets shut down though.
Hi, What do you want me to ask?
Of course I am interested in this project. Otherwise RichMD would not have opened the thread.
As I wrote in the other thread, i was going to get me a nexus 4 within the coming months. If RichMD would not have asked, I would not have thought about the note 2.

Regarding dual boot, it took me nearly 2 month, to figure out how all the things need to be modified (especially the recovery) for a user friendly implementation of dualboot. Now that I know all this, it shouldn't be very hard to implement it to another phone.
Obviously, to make changes to the recovery /initramfs and kernel itself, I need a device to test with.


Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
If you like my work, please donate to me



www.hellybean.com - Here you can find my rom and all my kernels

All my source (kernel, recovery, rom) can be found here:
https://github.com/DerTeufel
https://github.com/Hellybean
The Following User Says Thank You to DerTeufel1980 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RichMD
Old
#10  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 757
Posts: 1,515
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980 View Post
Hi, What do you want me to ask?
Of course I am interested in this project. Otherwise RichMD would not have opened the thread.
As I wrote in the other thread, i was going to get me a nexus 4 within the coming months. If RichMD would not have asked, I would not have thought about the note 2.

Regarding dual boot, it took me nearly 2 month, to figure out how all the things need to be modified (especially the recovery) for a user friendly implementation of dualboot. Now that I know all this, it shouldn't be very hard to implement it to another phone.
Obviously, to make changes to the recovery /initramfs and kernel itself, I need a device to test with.


Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks DerTeufel,
I think many of us would like to see this capability on the Note 2.
I don't know if it would work but I am particularly hoping that I can have an unrooted "work" ROM as the "secondary" so I can use my enterprise Good email client. I am hoping it will be somewhat like dual-booting my kindle-fire where the "secondary" has to be packaged for "alternate" partitions and then have the other ROM be what I can flash various ROMs that come out. Even if the dual-boot does not work like that initially, I would want it regardless and I am guessing other DEVs could help expand on it.
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes