Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 22,731

7,791 posts
Donate to Me
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD

Thanks DerTeufel,
I think many of us would like to see this capability on the Note 2.
I don't know if it would work but I am particularly hoping that I can have an unrooted "work" ROM as the "secondary" so I can use my enterprise Good email client. I am hoping it will be somewhat like dual-booting my kindle-fire where the "secondary" has to be packaged for "alternate" partitions and then have the other ROM be what I can flash various ROMs that come out. Even if the dual-boot does not work like that initially, I would want it regardless and I am guessing other DEVs could help expand on it.

Sorry, but I can't say anything about this now. It depends on the drivers needed for stock and aosp based roms.
For sure you can run two stock roms or two aosp roms.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
21st February 2013, 02:06 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,415

6,173 posts
Donate to Me
More
Vote ban all donation threads. However i can vouch that derteufel1980 is a solid dev. Honestly I see no need for a dual boot kernel....thats what nandroids are for.
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2013, 02:31 PM   |  #13  
Recognized Developer

7,791 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle

Vote ban all donation threads. However i can vouch that derteufel1980 is a solid dev. Honestly I see no need for a dual boot kernel....thats what nandroids are for.

Well, let me remember... You are/were having a vibrant? Do you still have it? I can upload the dualboot kernel for it later (already compiled it few weeks ago. Lol) then you can compare nandroid against dualboot.

21st February 2013, 03:57 PM   |  #14  
Flag Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks Meter: 122

857 posts
Quote:

Dual boot is so much easier than backing up and restoring Nandroids. However unless we can dual boot Touchwiz and AOSP then it's pointless for me. I want to have AOSP, but I'm not willing to give up multi window, it's just way to useful. Dual boot is the next best thing to AOSP having multi window (which I don't see happening anytime soon)
21st February 2013, 04:22 PM   |  #15  
Recognized Developer

7,791 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraursls1984

Dual boot is so much easier than backing up and restoring Nandroids. However unless we can dual boot Touchwiz and AOSP then it's pointless for me. I want to have AOSP, but I'm not willing to give up multi window, it's just way to useful. Dual boot is the next best thing to AOSP having multi window (which I don't see happening anytime soon)

I totally agree. Having tw and aosp would be the perfect combination. As I don't own this device (yet), I am not very familiar with it. Does one need a different kernel for aosp and tw roms?

21st February 2013, 04:27 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 777

1,549 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraursls1984

If we get dual-boot functionality then maybe it can be improved over time to support AOSP and TW ROMS. Maybe that will never happen but it certainly won't if we don't start with getting some of the items resolved like recovery, etc that DerTeufel1980 has worked through. Personally, I would like to have a TW ROM configured for work with the battery hogging Good client and corresponding password restrictions, etc and a personal TW ROM that I can setup however I want. I don't consider nandroid swaps a viable option personally.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
22nd February 2013, 01:00 AM   |  #17  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,415

6,173 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD

If we get dual-boot functionality then maybe it can be improved over time to support AOSP and TW ROMS. Maybe that will never happen but it certainly won't if we don't start with getting some of the items resolved like recovery, etc that DerTeufel1980 has worked through. Personally, I would like to have a TW ROM configured for work with the battery hogging Good client and corresponding password restrictions, etc and a personal TW ROM that I can setup however I want. I don't consider nandroid swaps a viable option personally.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

i dont swap roms enough to warrant dual boot...and if we cant dual boot between touchwiz and aosp then it seems pointless.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980

Well, let me remember... You are/were having a vibrant? Do you still have it? I can upload the dualboot kernel for it later (already compiled it few weeks ago. Lol) then you can compare nandroid against dualboot.

I had a fascinate...anyhow I appreciate your work on that device, however I no longer support donation threads. to many folks been burned...no offense to you personally!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 07:44 AM   |  #18  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134

2,390 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980

I totally agree. Having tw and aosp would be the perfect combination. As I don't own this device (yet), I am not very familiar with it. Does one need a different kernel for aosp and tw roms?

...this right here...I mean....come on now...

I've never had a phone that could use the same kernel for both AOSP and touchwhiz/sense/motoblur/whatever.

And I've had a lot of phones...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
22nd February 2013, 07:44 AM   |  #19  
Recognized Developer

7,791 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

i dont swap roms enough to warrant dual boot...and if we cant dual boot between touchwiz and aosp then it seems pointless.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

I had a fascinate...anyhow I appreciate your work on that device, however I no longer support donation threads. to many folks been burned...no offense to you personally!

that's totally fine with me. no one is forced to donate, and i am not angry, if one tells me, he does not want to donate.
i never planned myself to get this device, and i never could pay for it (my girlfriend would kill me, if i spent my money for a phone instead of our kids ).

if this thread is going to get me the device at anytime, i would proudly develop my kernel for it. if not, i'll most probably buy a used nexus 4 in 2-3 months
Last edited by DerTeufel1980; 22nd February 2013 at 08:40 AM.
22nd February 2013, 01:14 PM   |  #20  
Flag Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks Meter: 122

857 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

...this right here...I mean....come on now...

I've never had a phone that could use the same kernel for both AOSP and touchwhiz/sense/motoblur/whatever.

And I've had a lot of phones...

Three of my 5 Android phones had AOSP and OEM running off of the same kernel, all three had locked bootloaders though. Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR MAXX.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread