Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,347 Members 51,945 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Tip us?
 
DerTeufel1980
Old
#11  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22041
Posts: 7,434
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
Thanks DerTeufel,
I think many of us would like to see this capability on the Note 2.
I don't know if it would work but I am particularly hoping that I can have an unrooted "work" ROM as the "secondary" so I can use my enterprise Good email client. I am hoping it will be somewhat like dual-booting my kindle-fire where the "secondary" has to be packaged for "alternate" partitions and then have the other ROM be what I can flash various ROMs that come out. Even if the dual-boot does not work like that initially, I would want it regardless and I am guessing other DEVs could help expand on it.
Sorry, but I can't say anything about this now. It depends on the drivers needed for stock and aosp based roms.
For sure you can run two stock roms or two aosp roms.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
If you like my work, please donate to me



www.hellybean.com - Here you can find my rom and all my kernels

All my source (kernel, recovery, rom) can be found here:
https://github.com/DerTeufel
https://github.com/Hellybean
 
droidstyle
Old
#12  
droidstyle's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3323
Posts: 6,051
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne

 
DONATE TO ME
Vote ban all donation threads. However i can vouch that derteufel1980 is a solid dev. Honestly I see no need for a dual boot kernel....thats what nandroids are for.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
DerTeufel1980
Old
#13  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22041
Posts: 7,434
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
Vote ban all donation threads. However i can vouch that derteufel1980 is a solid dev. Honestly I see no need for a dual boot kernel....thats what nandroids are for.
Well, let me remember... You are/were having a vibrant? Do you still have it? I can upload the dualboot kernel for it later (already compiled it few weeks ago. Lol) then you can compare nandroid against dualboot.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
If you like my work, please donate to me



www.hellybean.com - Here you can find my rom and all my kernels

All my source (kernel, recovery, rom) can be found here:
https://github.com/DerTeufel
https://github.com/Hellybean
 
eraursls1984
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 827
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
Vote ban all donation threads. However i can vouch that derteufel1980 is a solid dev. Honestly I see no need for a dual boot kernel....thats what nandroids are for.
Dual boot is so much easier than backing up and restoring Nandroids. However unless we can dual boot Touchwiz and AOSP then it's pointless for me. I want to have AOSP, but I'm not willing to give up multi window, it's just way to useful. Dual boot is the next best thing to AOSP having multi window (which I don't see happening anytime soon)
 
DerTeufel1980
Old
#15  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22041
Posts: 7,434
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
Dual boot is so much easier than backing up and restoring Nandroids. However unless we can dual boot Touchwiz and AOSP then it's pointless for me. I want to have AOSP, but I'm not willing to give up multi window, it's just way to useful. Dual boot is the next best thing to AOSP having multi window (which I don't see happening anytime soon)
I totally agree. Having tw and aosp would be the perfect combination. As I don't own this device (yet), I am not very familiar with it. Does one need a different kernel for aosp and tw roms?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
If you like my work, please donate to me



www.hellybean.com - Here you can find my rom and all my kernels

All my source (kernel, recovery, rom) can be found here:
https://github.com/DerTeufel
https://github.com/Hellybean
 
RichMD
Old
#16  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 757
Posts: 1,518
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
Dual boot is so much easier than backing up and restoring Nandroids. However unless we can dual boot Touchwiz and AOSP then it's pointless for me. I want to have AOSP, but I'm not willing to give up multi window, it's just way to useful. Dual boot is the next best thing to AOSP having multi window (which I don't see happening anytime soon)
If we get dual-boot functionality then maybe it can be improved over time to support AOSP and TW ROMS. Maybe that will never happen but it certainly won't if we don't start with getting some of the items resolved like recovery, etc that DerTeufel1980 has worked through. Personally, I would like to have a TW ROM configured for work with the battery hogging Good client and corresponding password restrictions, etc and a personal TW ROM that I can setup however I want. I don't consider nandroid swaps a viable option personally.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate
 
droidstyle
Old
#17  
droidstyle's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3323
Posts: 6,051
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
If we get dual-boot functionality then maybe it can be improved over time to support AOSP and TW ROMS. Maybe that will never happen but it certainly won't if we don't start with getting some of the items resolved like recovery, etc that DerTeufel1980 has worked through. Personally, I would like to have a TW ROM configured for work with the battery hogging Good client and corresponding password restrictions, etc and a personal TW ROM that I can setup however I want. I don't consider nandroid swaps a viable option personally.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
i dont swap roms enough to warrant dual boot...and if we cant dual boot between touchwiz and aosp then it seems pointless.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980 View Post
Well, let me remember... You are/were having a vibrant? Do you still have it? I can upload the dualboot kernel for it later (already compiled it few weeks ago. Lol) then you can compare nandroid against dualboot.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
I had a fascinate...anyhow I appreciate your work on that device, however I no longer support donation threads. to many folks been burned...no offense to you personally!
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nosympathy
Old
#18  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1132
Posts: 2,381
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cincinnati

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980 View Post
I totally agree. Having tw and aosp would be the perfect combination. As I don't own this device (yet), I am not very familiar with it. Does one need a different kernel for aosp and tw roms?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
...this right here...I mean....come on now...

I've never had a phone that could use the same kernel for both AOSP and touchwhiz/sense/motoblur/whatever.

And I've had a lot of phones...



Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel
 
DerTeufel1980
Old
(Last edited by DerTeufel1980; 22nd February 2013 at 07:40 AM.)
#19  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22041
Posts: 7,434
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
i dont swap roms enough to warrant dual boot...and if we cant dual boot between touchwiz and aosp then it seems pointless.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------



I had a fascinate...anyhow I appreciate your work on that device, however I no longer support donation threads. to many folks been burned...no offense to you personally!
that's totally fine with me. no one is forced to donate, and i am not angry, if one tells me, he does not want to donate.
i never planned myself to get this device, and i never could pay for it (my girlfriend would kill me, if i spent my money for a phone instead of our kids ).

if this thread is going to get me the device at anytime, i would proudly develop my kernel for it. if not, i'll most probably buy a used nexus 4 in 2-3 months
If you like my work, please donate to me



www.hellybean.com - Here you can find my rom and all my kernels

All my source (kernel, recovery, rom) can be found here:
https://github.com/DerTeufel
https://github.com/Hellybean
 
eraursls1984
Old
#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 827
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
...this right here...I mean....come on now...

I've never had a phone that could use the same kernel for both AOSP and touchwhiz/sense/motoblur/whatever.

And I've had a lot of phones...
Three of my 5 Android phones had AOSP and OEM running off of the same kernel, all three had locked bootloaders though. Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR MAXX.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes