Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,396

6,139 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraursls1984

Three of my 5 Android phones had AOSP and OEM running off of the same kernel, all three had locked bootloaders though. Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR MAXX.

you were not running tru aosp.
22nd February 2013, 01:42 PM   |  #22  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 22,452

7,602 posts
Donate to Me
anyway, doesn't really matter, if you are running really one kernel for aosp and tw, as you could easily switch the kernel together with the rom, as kernel flashing only takes few seconds and does not require anything else.
of course this only works, as long as both are running the same type of partition.

i am gonna try this on my i9000, to boot ics and jellybean at once
The Following User Says Thank You to DerTeufel1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 02:20 PM   |  #23  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne

6,139 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel1980

anyway, doesn't really matter, if you are running really one kernel for aosp and tw, as you could easily switch the kernel together with the rom, as kernel flashing only takes few seconds and does not require anything else.
of course this only works, as long as both are running the same type of partition.

i am gonna try this on my i9000, to boot ics and jellybean at once

agreed! my last post was in regards to moto devices...they have locked and encrypted bootloaders, that does not allow changing kernels. so its not true aosp if your running a stock kernel. yes i agree you can load the kernel and rom together on a unlocked device. i would give dual boot a shot if you got it working. again I appreciate work!! thx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 04:11 PM   |  #24  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne

6,139 posts
Donate to Me
More
Richmd, my apologies for the thread hijack...if you look back when this device first dropped there was a big stink about donation threads. Actually the admin of this forum stepped in and said donation threads are actually against the rules. Some mods allow it others don't. I guess its a grey area topic. I wish they would address this situation and come up with a solution so folks don't get screwed over. I can 100% vouch for DerTeufel that he wouldn't do this...however if you allow one then ethically all donation threads should be allowed. That is all, again I mean no disrespect, just wanted to clear the air a bit. Thx guys!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 04:30 AM   |  #25  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,132

2,381 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle

Richmd, my apologies for the thread hijack...if you look back when this device first dropped there was a big stink about donation threads. Actually the admin of this forum stepped in and said donation threads are actually against the rules. Some mods allow it others don't. I guess its a grey area topic. I wish they would address this situation and come up with a solution so folks don't get screwed over. I can 100% vouch for DerTeufel that he wouldn't do this...however if you allow one then ethically all donation threads should be allowed. That is all, again I mean no disrespect, just wanted to clear the air a bit. Thx guys!!!

People vouched for joelz too...and everyone knows how that turned out...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 01:39 PM   |  #26  
****holeville, OH
Thanks Meter: 76

436 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

People vouched for joelz too...and everyone knows how that turned out...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

As much as I agree with you, in my opinion, joelz still has the best rom out for the rezound. Though, I'm not at all a fan of these donation threads, I pay for work thats done. If you think about it, its a touchy subject all the way around. Whos to say how much work a developer has to do to repay the people thats donated? One person might be happy with a stable rom, while the other person thinks that since they donated, their entitled to new roms/updates for the life of their device. Personally if I was a developer, I wouldnt accept any donations until my work was finished for that exact reason.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD
23rd February 2013, 03:47 PM   |  #27  
OP Senior Member
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 776

1,545 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle

Thanks droidstyle,
I realize you had a concern and voiced it in a respectful way without being extremely negative. That's a skill not everyone has. I've seen comments about people expecting the DEV to continue developing for the life of the device, etc. I didn't start the thread just to add another great DEV to the list working on our device. Although that is something I want, the main purpose was a specific capability (dual booting ROMS) that DerTeufel can provide and has already done it on another device. He is a kernel developer rather than just a ROM developer. Therefore, his work can benefit many different ROMs.
What if I changed the OP to state the purpose a little differently. I really consider the donations as just so DerTeufel can deliver this one significant new capability. Any development after the fact (which obviously would occur) is a bonus. He already said that if he couldn't do it then he would give back to the community. I don't want to try to figure out how that would happen and I don't think he would even have to since I have confidence that he will be able to replicate what he has already successfully done for the Samsung Captivate.
People have also asked about dual-booting AOSP/AOKP and TW ROMs. If he can quickly swap out kernels and boot the alternate ROM then this would be ideal in many people's mind. I'm open to suggestions on how to move this forward since I truly believe a lot of people would take advantage of this capability which does not currently exist for our device.
Sorry for the very long post...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichMD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 07:06 PM   |  #28  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,764

2,366 posts
More
We might as well quit beating around the bush and say the real reason why donation threads got jacked:

Joelz

This kid ruined it for all. We need donation thread reform, with Joelz' case as an example of what not to do. That kid's the best bait & switch artist I've seen yet - and I've been in sales for 13 years. One bad apple (maybe more) ruined it for all. I'm just like droidstyle now. I see a donate thread and I think of Joelz burning everyone.

/hijack

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1ManWolfePack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 07:32 PM   |  #29  
****holeville, OH
Thanks Meter: 76

436 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack

We might as well quit beating around the bush and say the real reason why donation threads got jacked:

Joelz

This kid ruined it for all. We need donation thread reform, with Joelz' case as an example of what not to do. That kid's the best bait & switch artist I've seen yet - and I've been in sales for 13 years. One bad apple (maybe more) ruined it for all. I'm just like droidstyle now. I see a donate thread and I think of Joelz burning everyone.

/hijack

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't call joelz the reason for all the skepticism, as Ive seen many other devs veer away from a device, for reasons that they were tired of the bs in the threads or just didnt have time for it. I've also came from the rezound and I know of 3 devs thats done it just off the top of my head. The problem is, as I said before, unless the dev specifies what work and how much is going to be done when he gets the device, there's really no set standard.

23rd February 2013, 07:49 PM   |  #30  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 22,452

7,602 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradh024

I wouldn't call joelz the reason for all the skepticism, as Ive seen many other devs veer away from a device, for reasons that they were tired of the bs in the threads or just didnt have time for it. I've also came from the rezound and I know of 3 devs thats done it just off the top of my head. The problem is, as I said before, unless the dev specifies what work and how much is going to be done when he gets the device, there's really no set standard.

Of course I can't guarantee, that I'll still have the time in two years.
I can tell you, that I have it right now, and making a dual boot kernel should be done in about 2 weeks.
As it would be my main device (although my GT-I9000 is still running great and got Ubuntu today), i would try to get the most out of the kernel, and I would implement more device specific fixes into my rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to DerTeufel1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread