FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

HTC One and Jelly Bean

244 posts
Thanks Meter: 59
 
By kalo88, Senior Member on 20th February 2013, 04:30 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I wonder what HTC's plans will be for upgrading to 4.2+

Sony said the Xperia Z will be upgrading shortly after release.. I hope HTC keep pace with them and other manufacturers.
 
 
20th February 2013, 06:08 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 107
 
More
4.2 changes almost nothing really, nothing to fret about
21st February 2013, 06:20 AM |#3  
kirdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 330
 
More
Re: HTC One and Jelly Bean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointlol

4.2 changes almost nothing really, nothing to fret about

Will miss the dashclock widget... and any other cool apps that will be only 4.2+.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oman.dashclock

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
21st February 2013, 01:13 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Plus 4.2 gets Photosphere, Gesture Typing, Lock screen widgets etc etc...

It's not to much the 'nothing to fret' about.. it's knowing that HTC will keep up to date with .. updates lol

I think they want things to change in 2013 though so maybe they will
21st February 2013, 01:28 PM |#5  
ste1164's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Darlington
Thanks Meter: 312
 
More
HTC One and Jelly Bean
Htc has a smaller company than most so it's not as easy to direct resources to updates but I'm sure they will.
21st February 2013, 01:54 PM |#6  
biohaufen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
More
HTC should wait until Key Lime Pie
21st February 2013, 03:09 PM |#7  
iB4STiD's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag somewhere
Thanks Meter: 27,690
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biohaufen

HTC should wait until Key Lime Pie

I agree bypass 4.2 and 4.2.1
21st February 2013, 03:11 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Iloilo City
Thanks Meter: 1,739
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo88

Plus 4.2 gets Photosphere, Gesture Typing, Lock screen widgets etc etc...

It's not to much the 'nothing to fret' about.. it's knowing that HTC will keep up to date with .. updates lol

I think they want things to change in 2013 though so maybe they will

Photosphere is an AOSP feature on which even if HTC upgrades to 4.2 it still won't be available. Gesture typing is already existing on HTC keyboards since 2011 I think. Lockscreen widgets is an AOSP feature also and won't come to HTC since HTC uses a sense lockscreen.


So yeah 4.2 is pretty much useless unless you're using AOSP.
21st February 2013, 03:35 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal

Photosphere is an AOSP feature on which even if HTC upgrades to 4.2 it still won't be available. Gesture typing is already existing on HTC keyboards since 2011 I think. Lockscreen widgets is an AOSP feature also and won't come to HTC since HTC uses a sense lockscreen.


So yeah 4.2 is pretty much useless unless you're using AOSP.

That's fair enough then Don't google release the source code etc to HTC/Sony/Samsung etc... and they then just tweak the functions to work with their phones? I thought that's how it worked
21st February 2013, 05:45 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
been waiting 7 months since HTC stated that the One X would be getting JB, and still no light at the end of that tunnel. Pretty sure when they unveiled the One X last year they were going to update software more often, but two new "flagship" phones released since then and still no update. Do not buy HTC thinking they will update to new android versions. They do make great hardware, so root and have a great device.
21st February 2013, 05:49 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 107
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by optic driver

been waiting 7 months since HTC stated that the One X would be getting JB, and still no light at the end of that tunnel. Pretty sure when they unveiled the One X last year they were going to update software more often, but two new "flagship" phones released since then and still no update. Do not buy HTC thinking they will update to new android versions. They do make great hardware, so root and have a great device.

? We got 4.1.1 by now, which is JellyBean. If you don't have your update yet on your carrier, that's probably not HTCs fault.

Yet I agree it took them a bit long to release it. And yes, keep in mind that HTC is a rather small company, unlike Samsung. Let's just hope that they are a bit more conservative with phone releases this year - and I'm rather hopeful as the One was the only phone they introduced at the event (unlike 3 phones last time). More will follow for sure, nobody should doubt that and that's not a bad thing. Just please not 3 versions of the same phone etc., that'd be great.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes