FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

VivoTab Smart ME400

1,577 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

By wpbear, Senior Member on 20th February 2013, 08:30 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am an Android Fanboy....but the Vivotab Smart for $499 looks really nice and is full Windows 8. Is anybody else thinking about cheating on their Infinity Tabs?
Last edited by wpbear; 21st February 2013 at 02:21 PM.

20th February 2013, 09:23 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 366

More
It looks great, and I had the chance to try one a few weeks ago (in-store). It's a nice device, really, but the customer support on ASUS'part scares me off in buying one of their produtcs again.

(My main gripe with the 700 is the docking mechanism, and they seem to have used another type on the VivoTab. Still.. :P )
20th February 2013, 09:29 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 277

More
I like it too...
We had this discussion going before.
All the Windows tablet threads were shutdown however.
20th February 2013, 10:48 PM |#4  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 54

More
It looks nice, I initially had my hopes and dreams on it, but with ASUS reputation, I rather plonk the additional $300 and get the Surface Pro tablet.

Besides, what I read in reviews, the Intel Atom which I thought was going to be a much more improved generation made for this year, reports are that it struggles to playback Flash and other streaming video compared to the more powerful i5 core Surface Pro.
20th February 2013, 11:51 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 366

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_game_master

It looks nice, I initially had my hopes and dreams on it, but with ASUS reputation, I rather plonk the additional $300 and get the Surface Pro tablet.

Besides, what I read in reviews, the Intel Atom which I thought was going to be a much more improved generation made for this year, reports are that it struggles to playback Flash and other streaming video compared to the more powerful i5 core Surface Pro.

Indeed, the only technical reason I'd see for staying away as to specifications s the Atom processor used. The full Intel mobiles are so much faster! (Reportedly, most Atoms struggle at even the simplest of tasks.)
21st February 2013, 01:02 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 277

More
For the $$ to me the win8 tabs just aren't worth it with the ultrabooks sitting at lower prices now.
Been eyeballing the HP Envy x2 selling today for 749 usd.
21st February 2013, 03:52 AM |#7  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 61

More
I personally stay away from Intel Atom as far as possible. Furthermore, 1080p screen is the main reason I bought the tf700.
21st February 2013, 11:14 AM |#8  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,260

More
With that CPU? Hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyHulskemper

(Reportedly, most Atoms struggle at even the simplest of tasks.)

There's a science joke just waiting to be made in there somewhere...
21st February 2013, 01:12 PM |#9  
Flag Lexington, SC
Thanks Meter: 166

More
i played for a couple of days with the Vivo, and just bought the wife a Pro and have to say everything I hated about RT and the whole setup is gone. I am not getting rid of my Infinity any time soon, but that Surface Pro is a screaming cool piece of kit.
21st February 2013, 02:27 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus, GA
Thanks Meter: 23

More
I should have been more specific on the Thread Title. I am talking about the ME400 Smart which is full windows.

I think I might get one and test drive it. I am leaning 60-40% to get it. I am worried about the lack of apps and the speed. But the positive of the Atom processor is the battery life. I need to find somewhere with the White model locally in stock so I can return it easily if it is slow and laggy.
22nd February 2013, 02:26 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Putting things in perspective in terms of the the tablet you want to purchase.

If you need processing power, go with an ultrabook as several posters mention here. Prices are great, battery life is **pretty good**.
Remember, with ultrabooks, like any notebook, they require active cooling to go along with the power.

If you are looking for a alternative to an Android tablet, the Vivotab Smart is a great choice IMO.

I currently have a Galaxy Note that is running a custom ROM. It does pretty much anything I need an android device to do, even things in tablet mode through the benefit of the ROM I am using.

I was seriously considering the Note 10.1. Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 CPU is just outdated now compared to a quard core Tegra 3.

My main reasons for wanting (not needing ) a tablet: Do my web surfing, watch TV shows/Movies, listen to music, dabble a little in Word/Excel (nothing major), social networking and remote manage PC's on my network (Team Viewer/Real VNC).

I can do ALL of this on my Galaxy Note phone NO PROBLEM. However, I wanted a device with a bigger screen to do this, and use my phone as the tether device when necessary, and also save battery life to make that emergency call when I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere...instead of having a dead battery due to watching that extra episode of Battlestar Galactica.

I was thinking about an android tablet, but it was just too much of a direct extension of my phone. So I decided to look at Windows 8 tablets. My first choice was the Microsoft Surface RT. VERY VERY glad I did not go with this device. Fit and finish is spectacular. Hardware is debatable - personal opinions right? However, the functionality of Windows 8 RT is not much more than an Android OS, and the Google platform has MUCH more to offer than the RT platform right now. I have no patience in waiting for apps to be developed.

Surface Pro is a great option, since it is FULL Windows 8...however battery life is crap. 4-6hrs? Might as well go with an ultrabook.

With the usage that I was intending my tablet for, I needed something to last through the day. So I did not need to have a device that is eating away @ the battery life when it is doing nothing, just to power a high horsepower CPU.

That's where the ME400 comes in. Battery life? Spectacular! I listen to at least 2 hrs of music, do about 1hr of web surfing (cumulatively), watch about 1-2hrs of video, and still have AT LEAST 40% battery remaining after being on for 18hrs.

I've installed full Microsoft Office 2010, Real VNC, Team Viewer, Power ISO, some android OS related software to modify various Samsung Galaxy phones, a few gigs of music, 5-6Gbs of video and still have 11GB remaining. (waiting for my 64GB Micro SDXC!)

I can view full flash sites which most android tablets cannot, unless you stick with GB or ICS. (although flash is being phased out to HTML5).

And again, file management, network management is seamless as it is the familiar Microsoft OS interface.

The ME400 to me is a great compromise between processing power, battery life, and most of all price. @ $499 CDN, hard to get that much functionality for that price. I can do everything on my ME400 on my Android devices, and I can do almost everything on my Android devices, on my ME400. My only wish is to get Bluestacks working on the Clover Trail CPU so I can play some of my Android games on my ME400...but I don't think it will have the CPU/Graphics processing power to do it.

There's my 2 cents.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)