5,597,707 Members 34,650 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A warning for all rooters

Tip us?
 
danakers
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 44
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default A warning for all rooters

At the risk of showcasing myself as a total moron, I thought I'd share with you my experience of sheer, unadulterated stupidity before anyone else makes the same mistake.

I've been rooting my Android devices for a long, long time without any problem, until now.

I installed a ROM that didn't agree with my N7100 and needed to get my phone back into a working state. Having only Macs at work meant I had to use Heimdall rather than the Windows-friendly Odin. Heimdall isn't quite as easy to get to grips with and couldn't handle the factory images I was throwing at it, so in a desperate attempt to fix this, I inadvertently deleted all of my EFS data...

...and I hadn't taken a backup.

A local 'backstreet' phone shop couldn't fix it, and Vodafone charged me 100 (as I'd invalided the warranty) to replace the motherboard.

So it's not only a silly mistake to make, it's an expensive one, as this 'experienced' rooter discovered

Whatever you do, never, ever delete, re-partition or reformat the EFS partition on your Galaxy Note II!

You have been warned!
 
Bl!GhT
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 121
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakers View Post
At the risk of showcasing myself as a total moron, I thought I'd share with you my experience of sheer, unadulterated stupidity before anyone else makes the same mistake.

I've been rooting my Android devices for a long, long time without any problem, until now.

I installed a ROM that didn't agree with my N7100 and needed to get my phone back into a working state. Having only Macs at work meant I had to use Heimdall rather than the Windows-friendly Odin. Heimdall isn't quite as easy to get to grips with and couldn't handle the factory images I was throwing at it, so in a desperate attempt to fix this, I inadvertently deleted all of my EFS data...

...and I hadn't taken a backup.

A local 'backstreet' phone shop couldn't fix it, and Vodafone charged me 100 (as I'd invalided the warranty) to replace the motherboard.

So it's not only a silly mistake to make, it's an expensive one, as this 'experienced' rooter discovered

Whatever you do, never, ever delete, re-partition or reformat the EFS partition on your Galaxy Note II!

You have been warned!
Even though i wouldn't do this, i am sure that if NASA was able to send monkeys into space there ought to a couple left here who would do this

But Thank You.
"Jailbreaking iOS ? Oh You mean Stock Android !"
 
DaBountyHunter
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 361
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl!GhT View Post
Even though i wouldn't do this, i am sure that if NASA was able to send monkeys into space there ought to a couple left here who would do this

But Thank You.
If you had insurance you could have claimed on that instead?
 
danakers
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 44
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBountyHunter View Post
If you had insurance you could have claimed on that instead?
Mmm, not having insurance makes me even dumber!
 
rashid.fairus
Old
#5  
rashid.fairus's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 229
Posts: 1,057
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Klang
Default Re: A warning for all rooters

you should understand the word "use at your own risk", "always made a backup", "this is for advanced-user", and many things before doing something, just a warning wont help I think..
 
danakers
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 44
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid.fairus View Post
you should understand the word "use at your own risk", "always made a backup", "this is for advanced-user", and many things before doing something, just a warning wont help I think..
Yes, I'm just trying to be helpful by posting this.

I consider myself an advanced user, but even advanced users can make mistakes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danakers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jutley
Old
#7  
jutley's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 296
Posts: 1,958
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
you could have fixed it with this software http://www.softworld.com/windows/com...-samsung-home/
Device 1 Nokia lumina 1520 yellow 32gb stock
Device 2 Samsung galaxy note 2 4.3 stock N7100 16gb
Device 3 IPad air 16gb silver (jailbroken evasion)
Device 4 Samsung galaxy gear stock rom sideloaded apps & (sony z ultra GPE)
Device 5 Ipod nano 16gb silver
 
dr.ketan
Old
(Last edited by dr.ketan; 21st February 2013 at 08:09 PM.)
#8  
dr.ketan's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21070
Posts: 14,626
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gujarat

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley View Post
you could have fixed it with this software http://www.softworld.com/windows/com...-samsung-home/
I have tested this sw after reading this from your other post
though i have no IMEI issue but tried unlock screen as it is free feature, but it didn't work for me.
apart from this it has caused issue on my device and pc, my play store was unable to download any application untill i factory reset device.
on PC side even after uninstall sw it was giving me some dll error. and had to reset my PC too.
For N7100---For N7000
My Applications

No PM for tech support. All XDA members are my friends so ignoring all incoming friends requests.
 
adytum
Old
#9  
adytum's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 273
Posts: 1,012
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default Re: A warning for all rooters

I've seen a lot of efs repair apps, and I don't really see how any of them can possibly work at all. If the efs is deleted, you can't magically return it. That would be the same as having an app recalling a forgotten password without having anything to do with it beforehand.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
 
danakers
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 44
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by adytum View Post
I've seen a lot of efs repair apps, and I don't really see how any of them can possibly work at all. If the efs is deleted, you can't magically return it. That would be the same as having an app recalling a forgotten password without having anything to do with it beforehand.
Yes, it does seem as though screwing up your EFS is a bigger deal than I thought, on account of the fact that the only way they could repair my handset was by replacing the mobo. I tried so many supposed 'fixes' before dropping my handset into the Vodafone store and sadly none of them worked. On the plus side, even though I 'fessed up, the helpful people at Vodafone logged my fault as "device will not reboot" in the hope they didn't spot it was an invalidated warranty job... but they still found out

Anyway, hands up... I'm an idiot!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...