Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,848 Members 36,881 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HACK] The Simpsons: Tapped Out - Removal of notification sound

Tip us?
 
S-I-M-O-N
Old
(Last edited by S-I-M-O-N; 15th March 2013 at 11:57 PM.)
#1  
S-I-M-O-N's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 15
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default [HACK] The Simpsons: Tapped Out - Removal of notification sound

After getting disturbed in my sleep for two nights I started to search for a solution to get rid of that annoying notification sounds.

JB seem to have an option to suppress notifications for each app, but for ICS that does not seem to be possible.

I was forced to make up a solution myself, so I started to locate the notification sound and was able to find them in /mnt/asec/com.ea.game.simpsons4_row-1/pkg.apk

All which has to be done now to sleep easy, is to remove the .mp3 files from the apk. To do that you need root access:

Code:
# mount |grep simpson
This will output something like:
Code:
/dev/block/dm-22 /mnt/asec/com.ea.game.simpsons4_row-1 vfat ro.dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
The relevant part is "/dev/block/dm-22 /mnt/asec/com.ea.game.simpsons4_row-1" take note of that or keep it in the shell history for reference.
Now do (while using the path and device information you obtained above):
Code:
umount /mnt/asec/com.ea.game.simpsons4_row-1
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/dm-22 /mnt/asec/com.ea.game.simpsons4_row-1
Now you have read/write mounted the folder of the game for further tinkering with the apk.

If you cannot unmount and get a message like:
Code:
failed: Device or resource busy
Head to Settings / Apps and force the game to stop. Now repeat the unmounting and it should work.


The next step is to copy the file pkg.apk to a destination of you choice (e.g. /mnt/sdcard/).
Open the file as zip with Total Commander or any other program able to zip/unzip apks.
Now navigate inside the archive to the folder "res/raw" (Total Commander will show in the location bar "/mnt/sdcard/pkg.apk/res/raw")
You should now see a lot of mp3 files.

If you are as much a Homer fan than I am you should extract those files and hear them before you delete them all. My favorite: "Are you cheating on me with another game"

Ok back to the subject:
Select all mp3 files in this folder (pkg.apk/res/raw) and delete them.

Now you can copy the file pkg.apk back to the game folder, overwriting the original one.

You will still get the game notifications, but they are silent.

I expect that this procedure has to be repeated after an update of the game.

Enjoy!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S-I-M-O-N For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
IceXcube84
Old
(Last edited by IceXcube84; 21st February 2013 at 10:34 PM.)
#2  
IceXcube84's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 128
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Malmö

 
DONATE TO ME
Nevermind...I did it my self. I found them in a TitaniumBackup i had on my phone
☢ Samsung Galaxy Note III LTE SM-N9005 - Omega v5.0 XXUDMK2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ☢
☠ Samsung Galaxy S III Marble White GT-i9300 - CM11 Android 4.4.2 Kitkat ☠
☣ 2x Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G 16GB White - Omni ROM Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean ☣
★ Sorry if iam asking weird or stupid questions. It is not so easy to live with Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) & Autism Disorder Spectrum (ADS). Iam only trying to be nice and my self.
 
Scooby00
Old
(Last edited by Scooby00; 22nd February 2013 at 08:37 AM.) Reason: Found solution
#3  
Scooby00's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 16
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Samstagern
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-I-M-O-N View Post
JB seem to have an option to suppress notifications for each app, but for ICS that does not seem to be possible.
Where can I edit this in JB?

[EDIT]
Lol, I found it. In App-Info you can uncheck Show Notification.[/EDIT]
 
GaidinBDJ
Old
#4  
GaidinBDJ's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 28
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas

 
DONATE TO ME
For what it's worth, I managed to do this in JB just by copying the .apk from the /data/app/) directory to the SD card, editing it with Total Commander, and re-installing it.

Here's my instructions (thanks to S-I-M-O-N above for the idea!). I put them on the EA site (and mirrored it here) in case it doesn't stick on EAs site.

NOTE: This is not for the types that don't mind risking losing their game/messing up your phone. It worked for me, but try it at your own risk. This also requires some technical knowledge, if you don't understand any of this, DON'T TRY IT!

This works in Android 4.1.2 (JellyBean) and version 4.1.3 of the Tapped Out app. This may break in future versions *if* the .apk is updated (although most updates are done within the app, so it doesn't affect the .apk). And I suppose the developers could go out of their way to make sure this actually breaks the game, but I would think their time would be better spent putting in the option to turn the noise off.

This will require root access, there is no way to do this without it. Period.

First, find your Tapped Out .apk flie (it should be in your /data/app folder, called something like com.ea.gam.simpsons*), and copy it out to your SD card (DON'T uninstall it, just copy/paste). Grab your favorite .apk extraction/editor app (I use Total Commander), and go into your copy on the sd card. You need to delete all the files in the res/raw directory (these are the notification sounds). Once your done, install the modified .apk file. It will overwrite the copy there, but save all your settings (including your name).

I would turn off automatic updates (from the My Apps section of the Market/Play Store) so a new version doesn't sneak sounds back in. You'll know when you have to re-do this for a new version.
 
davidinho.ng
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Aug 2013
I'm tried to change the notification sound using the GaidinBDJ's method, but instead of delete the mp3, I replaced it with different MP3 files, unfortunately the result is that the notification are silent... Is possible to change the notification sound?

P.S.: Sorry for my poor english...
 
project.in.process
Old
#6  
project.in.process's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 118
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinho.ng View Post
I'm tried to change the notification sound using the GaidinBDJ's method, but instead of delete the mp3, I replaced it with different MP3 files, unfortunately the result is that the notification are silent... Is possible to change the notification sound?

P.S.: Sorry for my poor english...
i might be mistaken and have misread, but you know you can change the notification sound volume of the game to Zero from inside the app itself? no need for modding/tweaking or whatever. i did this when i first got the game & just verified that it still works.

open the game > tap the saw/hammer icon in the bottom right of the screen > in the new dialogue box, tap the small "i" to the right of the video camera icon > check "push notifications OFF".

if this isn't what this thread addresses, i apologize.
 
davidinho.ng
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.in.process View Post
i might be mistaken and have misread, but you know you can change the notification sound volume of the game to Zero from inside the app itself? no need for modding/tweaking or whatever. i did this when i first got the game & just verified that it still works.

open the game > tap the saw/hammer icon in the bottom right of the screen > in the new dialogue box, tap the small "i" to the right of the video camera icon > check "push notifications OFF".

if this isn't what this thread addresses, i apologize.
I know this, but I'm looking for a way to replace the notification sound with another sound
 
Dooooon
Old
(Last edited by Dooooon; 26th November 2013 at 09:10 AM.)
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-I-M-O-N View Post
If you are as much a Homer fan than I am you should extract those files and hear them before you delete them all. My favorite: "Are you cheating on me with another game"

Ok back to the subject:
Select all mp3 files in this folder (pkg.apk/res/raw) and delete them.

Now you can copy the file pkg.apk back to the game folder, overwriting the original one.

You will still get the game notifications, but they are silent.

I expect that this procedure has to be repeated after an update of the game.

Enjoy!
Can I get those .mp3 files please? and where can I found the other characters sound .mp3?
 
foxmad
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default I would like those sounds to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooooon View Post
Can I get those .mp3 files please? and where can I found the other characters sound .mp3?
Hey there!

Did anyone send you those .mp3 files?

I would also like to have them!

My phone is running androind 4.3 but it's not rooted. (to noob to do it) Can i reach the files without rooting my phone?
 
S-I-M-O-N
Old
#10  
S-I-M-O-N's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 15
Join Date: Feb 2010
You can achieve this without root.

1. Get Apk Extractor and Total Commander from the Play Store.
2. Extract the apk file of the Simpsons game to your sdcard.
3. Open as zip the apk file with Total Commander.
4. Navigate to res/raw
5. Enjoy

Gesendet von meinem MK16i mit Tapatalk

Tags
[hack]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


YAATA isn’t Just Another Android Texting App

Although our mobile devices today are capable of executingnearly every task we normally … more

MacroDroid Update Brings Android Wear Automation

A few months ago, we talked about MacroDroid. For those who don’t remember, MacroDroid … more

Droid X Receives KitKat Port, Upcoming Google Glass Firmware Improvements – XDA Developer TV

Android 4.4.3 lands on the European HTC … more

Calc+ is a Smart and Beautiful Android Calculator

As we’ve said inthe past, there are quite a few calculators available on Android. … more