XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Back with Samsung after 2 years with HTC

Tip us?

CDKJudoka
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Thumbs up Back with Samsung after 2 years with HTC

After two years with my EVO 4G (OG) it was starting to have some hiccups here and there. Mostly because of the power surges that came into my house and fried out 11 250 joule surge protectors, an LED TV, 2 FiOS STB's, the FiOS D-Mark, and a microwave. Charging my phone during the last strike from my local electric company had caused it to start running strangely. Or at least that is my theory.

Well, I decided I needed a new phone. I was lucky enough that I was due for an upgrade, so off to Best Buy I went. I was seriously toying with the idea of getting an SG3. My brother in law has one, as well as my wife's cousins. I thought it was a great phone and light years ahead of the EVO. Don't get me wrong, my EVO has served me phenomenally, but I wanted something nicer. I have 2 Epic 4Gs in my house, wife and son, plus I have had the Fascinate, the Moment and the Transform, so I know Samsung makes some great devices.

I walk into the Mobile center in Best Buy and gravitate towards the Sprint table and started looking at the SG3. There was nothing that really jumped out at me and there were no more HTC phones in the lineup. Sad, but never a deal breaker. Then I see it, the Galaxy Note II. I pick it up and it feels very comfortable in my hand. I am a big guy so I feel like an iPhone get's lost in my hand and this was the Goldilocks phone. Now for the moment of truth. Do they have the Titanium in stock? My EVO is white and so is my iPhone. The Note in white was just too much white. And not the cool Stormtrooper white with black accents like my EVO has, but pure stark white. That wouldn't do. The sales person approached and asked me if I needed help. I told him I wanted the GN2 in Titanium and he gave me an ashen look. He mentioned that they were on national back order, but he would look anyway. Lo and behold, he pulls out, according to him, the last Titanium GN2 in the country.

Everything goes swimmingly. They have the phone advertised for $299 for an upgrade, but I had seen it in Radio Shack for $199. I never thought to take a picture of the ad before I went to BB, but oh well. I told the new salesperson that was helping I would come back to get the $100 credit. She said she had a lot of luck beating Amazon Wireless' prices. She pulled up the site and I was able to get the Note for $199. Score! She got me up and activated in about 10 mins and I was out the door with my new toy.

Now, I swore to myself that I would test drive it for a week or two before rooting at and throwing a custom ROM. Too bad that lasted about 5 mins. I was able to root it even after doing the MA7 update. I am currently a lab rat because I actually like the stock TouchWiz. That may change but for the moment I like the Team Nocturnal ROM (great job guys!!) Battery life on this is insane!!! I charged it to full last night and took it off at about 10PM. I use it as a white noise generator and forgot to set the sleep timer, so it was going from midnight until I woke up at 7AM and I still had 90% battery. Awesome!!

I will probably spend most of my work day playing and tweaking it.
His-Google Nexus 5 16GB - White-Stock Rooted
Her's-Samsung Galaxy S3-Stock Non-Rooted.
Lil One's-Samsung Galaxy S3-Stock Non-Rooted.

Skripka
Old
Thanks Meter 600
Hi there, another ex-HTC-Alphabet-Soup-User. And welcome

Lots of ex-EVO4G users in here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skripka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cherylbaker
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Default Re: Back with Samsung after 2 years with HTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka View Post

It is scary how many of us there are here . HTC hasc really taking a dive Thanks to this phone.. I know myself I am very happy with the Jump.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to cherylbaker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CDKJudoka
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka View Post

That may change if HTC comes out with something better, but the Note is a great device. Now to start really playing with it.

fryingpan0613
Old
Thanks Meter 3510

DONATE TO ME

Glad you found your way to lab rats! Feel free to post in our thread

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to fryingpan0613 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Talos4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default What method did you use for ROOT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDKJudoka View Post
...Don't get me wrong, my EVO has served me phenomenally, but I wanted something nicer...
Same boat here, DIE HARD EVO OG supporter. Phone still rocks, although requires some tweaking. I'm on my way to Sprint store this afternoon. What method did you use for root?

austin420
Old
Thanks Meter 416
thats one hell of a post just to say you got a note 2. i think that everyone should do that. it would make the forums a super great place to get info about who has the note 2. i think we should just give up on developing and just announce ourselves. to me it just seems like a better use of bandwidth. i dont know. i wish i could just read welcome posts all day. :veryfun: :sarcasm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilw
Stupid and angry is no way to go through life, son.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austin420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mexiking713
Old
Thanks Meter 186

Welcome to the team :thumbup: I come from all three generations of the evo. Its so nice to be able to root your phone without all the hastle. I wouldn't go back to htc even after seeing the htc one. Also, Samsung and Sprint have been doing an awesome job of upgrading their phones. I'll be waiting on the Note 3.

Sent from a galaxy note 2 far far away...
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Black)
Rom: Clean Rom
Recovery: SafeStrap
Memory: 32GB internal + 64GB Sandisk MicroSDXC
Case: UAG Navigator & Trident Aegis (Black)
Screen protector: Tempered Glass

CDKJudoka
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos4 View Post
Same boat here, DIE HARD EVO OG supporter. Phone still rocks, although requires some tweaking. I'm on my way to Sprint store this afternoon. What method did you use for root?

I used MSKip's Galaxy Note II Toolkit Ver. 3.0. It was super-easy. It will still root even if you updated to 4.1.2 (MA7) I was rooted in under 5 minutes. (Excellent job MSKip!! )

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1957155
The Following User Says Thank You to CDKJudoka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donatom3
Old
Thanks Meter 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiking713 View Post
Welcome to the team :thumbup: I come from all three generations of the evo. Its so nice to be able to root your phone without all the hastle. I wouldn't go back to htc even after seeing the htc one. Also, Samsung and Sprint have been doing an awesome job of upgrading their phones. I'll be waiting on the Note 3.

Sent from a galaxy note 2 far far away...
I got all 3 generations of Evos sitting on my desk right now too. I am not going back to HTC after buying the Note 2. Samsung just does the software so much better. Like why on my evo with 16gb of internal storage do I have to move my apps between a 2gb app partition and a 8gb internal partition

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2