5,814,863 Members 48,818 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Install the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview on the Nexus 10

Tip us?

qbking77
Old
(Last edited by qbking77; 22nd February 2013 at 05:27 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 5,128

DONATE TO ME
Video [HOW TO] Install the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview on the Nexus 10

I've made a video showing how to install the dev preview for Ubuntu on the Nexus 10. This is not a daily driver, but is cool to check out.
I will get a review video up later tonight!

How to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5C66BOPbs

Full Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjzLri2sfaY
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/qbking77

http://www.qbking77.com
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qbking77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

geekd_up
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This looks great. Can't wait to see how the finished product looks like!

5imp7y
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Beat city

Still upset that it isnt available for cdma........ Why ubuntu i had hoped to have a rason to not hate you. Well im still waiting.....

random1204
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5imp7y View Post
Still upset that it isnt available for cdma........ Why ubuntu i had hoped to have a rason to not hate you. Well im still waiting.....
Well that's your problem right there. CDMA. That has so many stipulations and all that stuff around it. THATS why. I don't blame them for not supporting it.
Nokia 3220, Motorola V360, Motorola Razr v3i, LG Trax, Nokia E71x, Samsung Captivate, Palm Pixi, HTC Evo 3D, iPhone 4S, Captivate #2, HTC One X, HTC Titan II, Samsung Galaxy S3, Palm Pixi Plus, iPhone 5, Nexus 4 16GB, Moto X GSM Developer Edition, Nexus 5 32GB, HTC One m8

Galaxy Tab 10.1, Transformer TF101, iPad 3, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 32GB, iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB

abdel12345
Old
Thanks Meter 1,155
http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet Sorry to bring up an old thread but i didnt want to make a new one. Anyways i was interested in ubuntu because it looked so smooth and awesome. I was just wondering is there going to be an official build for the nexus 10? Is there even another version released since the preview? That link i posted at the beginning of this post shows the nexus 10 is the tablet they have pictures of on. The website wasnt very clear if there was anything out yet or not. Also would android apps work with ubuntu? Just a couple questions sorry for hijacking the thread but thought it would fit here. Anybody else interested in it and have more info? if there is then ill make a new thread in general for discussion.
Devices: Nexus 10 and Verizon LG G2
The Following User Says Thank You to abdel12345 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XxLordxX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,038

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdel12345 View Post
http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet Sorry to bring up an old thread but i didnt want to make a new one. Anyways i was interested in ubuntu because it looked so smooth and awesome. I was just wondering is there going to be an official build for the nexus 10? Is there even another version released since the preview? That link i posted at the beginning of this post shows the nexus 10 is the tablet they have pictures of on. The website wasnt very clear if there was anything out yet or not. Also would android apps work with ubuntu? Just a couple questions sorry for hijacking the thread but thought it would fit here. Anybody else interested in it and have more info? if there is then ill make a new thread in general for discussion.
Okay I'll answer for you then

Let's start:
Quote:
I was just wondering is there going to be an official build for the nexus 10?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install - You can find images for Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Galaxy Nexus there! Nexus 10 is already one of the devices that will receive official support ! Just remembering that it's not usable yet! I installed some days ago and it was still laggy and sluggish, at least for me :s

Quote:
Also would android apps work with ubuntu?
As answered already many times on Ubuntu Q&A: No! Ubuntu bases on Android kernel (which is also based on Linux kernel), but has many different things, including Dalvik (correct me if I'm wrong please), so it won't run the android apps.

Quote:
Anybody else interested in it and have more info? if there is then ill make a new thread in general for discussion.
That is a nice idea IMO . Just be sure there's no other thread like that already .

Hope this covers up things for you

abdel12345
Old
Thanks Meter 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLordxX View Post
Okay I'll answer for you then

Let's start:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install - You can find images for Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Galaxy Nexus there! Nexus 10 is already one of the devices that will receive official support ! Just remembering that it's not usable yet! I installed some days ago and it was still laggy and sluggish, at least for me :s

As answered already many times on Ubuntu Q&A: No! Ubuntu bases on Android kernel (which is also based on Linux kernel), but has many different things, including Dalvik (correct me if I'm wrong please), so it won't run the android apps.

That is a nice idea IMO . Just be sure there's no other thread like that already .

Hope this covers up things for you
OK thanks that was really helpful. I figured android apps wouldn't work after reading more about it. Anyways the interface looks amazing in the video and they said it is really easy for developers to get their apps working on Ubuntu as well so once the final build is released im going to install it for sure. It would be awesome if we could dual boot it once its ready. My xperia play phone has a kernel for it that can multiboot GB,ICS, and jellybean thanks to cosmicdan. It'd be awesome if we could get that working on the nexus 10. I think I'll make a discussion thread so I don't hijack this thread and spam it, but first I'll search to make sure there already isn't one

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
Devices: Nexus 10 and Verizon LG G2

RatJumper
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Its sad that they've dropped support for our device