Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 41,621 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Swiftkey vs Swype

Tip us?

JaguarXT
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Default Re: Swiftkey vs Swype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double0EK View Post
I like the stock Samsung keyboard. It has the swype feature.. Why download another app that does essentially the same thing?
I agree to a point.
The only thing missing in the Samsung keyboard that I use is Arrow keys and when typing only numbers I like ten key. But otherwise I do like the Samsung's keyboard for GN2.
Mainly I use the arrow keys within SwiftKey keyboard that keeps me coming back to the SwiftKey keyboard. For me that is an important feature for a keyboard. I always miss the right spot with my big fingers.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)
Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Build: JZO54K.T889UVBMB4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

chavist
Old
Thanks Meter 19

Had anyone been able to install the latest version of swift key

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

mrbkkt1
Old
Thanks Meter 98

Best thing about swiftkey, is on my note 10, it's an awesome keyboard. No more typing 3's and 8's when I want e's and o's. They keep the number row hidden, and I can fly typing on the tablet.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
Current devices: Galaxy Note 2 Stock,Nexus 4-stock, galaxy tab 2-7, galaxy note 10.1
Previous devices:
Sensation 4G Bruce cm10 jellybean, Asus TF300, Blackberry Playbook, Nexus 1, SE Xperia x1a,HTC Kaiser,Nokia N80,Sony Ericsson W800, Nokia 9500, Motorolla MPX 300 (winmo3), and dozens more. also have an iphone 3g and ipad2 in the family.

dlo604
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double0EK View Post
I like the stock Samsung keyboard. It has the swype feature.. Why download another app that does essentially the same thing?
The same reason why a person would Root their phone? Because it's better and improves the overall usage of a person's phone?

pablo71
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Default Swype is a better slider

I bought swiftkey4 last week, and was impressed with flow, and loved how I could change the long press times to get numbers and punctuation faster than on Swype (it frustrates me that I can't do that on Swype)....

....but I went back to Swype within 40 minutes, because I have grown dependent on the swype gesture shortcuts for "select-all", "copy" and "paste." These are essential and, according to Google, SwiftKey doesn't have those, which to me means I just donated $2 to some awesome programmers who might add those shortcuts to SwiftKey one day.

....both are excellent pieces of technology, but I find Swype a better slider, but when/if swiftkey gets those shortcuts I'll test it again.
tmobileT889,stock-rooted-deodexed-rom,perseus kernel32.1,twrp recovery,64gb sandisk extfat sdcard,1.8ghz cpu,733mhz gpu

pcorlatan
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME

I've been using TouchPal for months and like it the most.

mrbkkt1
Old
Thanks Meter 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo71 View Post
I bought swiftkey4 last week, and was impressed with flow, and loved how I could change the long press times to get numbers and punctuation faster than on Swype (it frustrates me that I can't do that on Swype)....

....but I went back to Swype within 40 minutes, because I have grown dependent on the swype gesture shortcuts for "select-all", "copy" and "paste." These are essential and, according to Google, SwiftKey doesn't have those, which to me means I just donated $2 to some awesome programmers who might add those shortcuts to SwiftKey one day.

....both are excellent pieces of technology, but I find Swype a better slider, but when/if swiftkey gets those shortcuts I'll test it again.
Exact reason why I use Swype on the note 2 and swiftkey on the note 10. Typing and weird recognition is better in swift key, and stopping and gestures rule Swype.

Current devices: Galaxy Note 2 Stock,Nexus 4-stock, galaxy tab 2-7, galaxy note 10.1
Previous devices:
Sensation 4G Bruce cm10 jellybean, Asus TF300, Blackberry Playbook, Nexus 1, SE Xperia x1a,HTC Kaiser,Nokia N80,Sony Ericsson W800, Nokia 9500, Motorolla MPX 300 (winmo3), and dozens more. also have an iphone 3g and ipad2 in the family.

timmytucker718
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Swype vs. SwiftKey

SwiftKey:
-Predicts future words based on context and user language style it learns.
- can string multiple words without you entering spaces, or lets you swipe the space.
-Auto adds words to dictionary when selected.
-shows you what it's guessing as you swipe so you can lift early to improve typing speed.
-more accurate tapping

Swype:
-Gives you choices after you swype a word so you don't have to go back to the word to correct if it is wrong on its first pick
-more accurate swiping

All in all I like swift key better for its numerous advantages. Despite not getting choices after swyping in a word, it usually knows what I am saying so I rarely need to go back to correct a word anyway.

jinda628
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Can you swipe now with both thumbs at the same time with Swype or Swiftkey?
I am using Keymonk and it allows you to do that but I really dont like their keyboard layout compared to Swiftkey or Samsung's default kb.

JesseMT4G
Old
Thanks Meter 119
I sometimes miss the numbers option on stock keyboard, but the word prediction is amazing with SwiftKey and flow is just as good.

Paid 4 bucks and gladly so.

Fancy pants Note ||

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseMT4G For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]