Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,760 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Seriously at a loss for what has been happening with my phone.

Tip us?

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default Seriously at a loss for what has been happening with my phone.

Ive been having some issues pop up with my phone in the last few weeks. Sorry but be prepared for a lengthy post haha.

It all started in Dec with the OTA of JB. After than my Maps/Nav constantly force close. I am not the only one with this issue because looking at recent reviews of Maps in the Play store, a lot of GS3 users are experiencing it too.
I made this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2115108 to try and see if there was a fix. Never solved the problem.

My friend was running the latest AOKP Milestone ROM and said his Maps/Nav worked fine. So I rooted, bootloader, recovery and flashed AOKP Milestone. Well Maps/Nav still didnt work. Found out my friend never installed the official OTA to JB and went from ICS to AOKP. So it only lead me further to believe that it was something with the update.

Figured I would wait it out till there was a fix, until I started having another issue. I use Handcent as my primary SMS app. All of the sudden one day my notification ringtone stops working. Was working fine then poof doesnt work. Tried redoing all the settings and got nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled nothing. Cleared cache, uninstall/reinstall nothing.

So now with this problem persisting for a few days I got sick of it. Thought I should be able to flash an MD5 thru Odin back to ICS, get Maps/Nav working (along with txt tones) and then flash to AOKP. First I flashed I535VRALF2 and Maps/Nav worked fine, flashed AOKP and didnt work. So today I flashed I535VRALG1 and again Maps/Nav/Txt worked fine. Flashed back to AOKP and Maps/Nav didnt work, BUT txt tones did (for a while). Driving from home to work (15mins) somehow my txt tones stopped working again!

Between each flash I would factory reset/wipe cache/dav data ect. Not sure why these problems are being so persistent. Even on the last time back to ICS, I wiped everything in CWM and booted the phone AND did a factory reset from within the phone settings.

Anyone have any ideas? Did accepting the JB OTA just perma F me on Maps/Nav?
Feature phone -- LG V -- LG enV -- LG Voyager -- Blackberry Tour -- Droid Pro -- Droid Razr -- Galaxy S III -- Note 3

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
No ideas?
Feature phone -- LG V -- LG enV -- LG Voyager -- Blackberry Tour -- Droid Pro -- Droid Razr -- Galaxy S III -- Note 3

bobAbooE
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Default Re: Seriously at a loss for what has been happening with my phone.

I don't run aokp but found this in the faq on rootz: "Fix permissions in CWMR.Uninstall maps updates/clear cache and data."

No idea if it will help but it won't hurt to try.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Ya I tried that already and it didnt work

And Ive also tried running older versions of Maps as well with no results

NZitney
Old
Thanks Meter 14

Try doing a superwipe. Completely erases internal memory. I know some roms have the option, specifically synergy to my knowledge. It is also available as a zip. Just make sure everything on internal you want to save it backed up to external or a computer. A fresh wipe can do wonders.

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZitney View Post
Try doing a superwipe. Completely erases internal memory. I know some roms have the option, specifically synergy to my knowledge. It is also available as a zip. Just make sure everything on internal you want to save it backed up to external or a computer. A fresh wipe can do wonders.

I did (I think haha). I installed a fresh MD5 thru Odin, then once my phone booted, I used the internal factory reset option to completely wipe the internal storage. Or is that not the same thing?

NZitney
Old
Thanks Meter 14

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2121347

Try running the mega wipe zip with the Rom on external sd. If you are restoring
Apps, do so without data first to see if everything works.

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZitney View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2121347

Try running the mega wipe zip with the Rom on external sd. If you are restoring
Apps, do so without data first to see if everything works.
Will it work on the GS3? That thread is for the Note2

And im running the latest touch CWM and that thread is a bit confusing, it says:
Quote:
Requirements: You need to have
1. TWRP Recovery installed
Quote:
How to use:
Just copy the required zip to your External SDcard and reboot into CWM recovery. Install the zip and you are good to go!
It says you have to have TWRP recovery but then says boot into CWM, so not sure what to think.

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
any more ideas?

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Anyone else?