5,599,190 Members 35,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Tip us?

Chad_Petree
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 158
Default HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Who do i have to bl*w in HTC in order to get on screen buttons? Why do HTC refuses to implement onscreen buttons on their phones? they're so practical, they (and we) can remap them to their/our liking , and now they made the horrible decision to cut the multitasking button for good? because supposedly people dont use it? really HTC? you're stripping android of one of its best features? easy and almost instant switching between apps ? whatever people say, having to wait 2 more seconds to hold the back button to get multitask really makes an annoying difference
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chad_Petree For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NiCk.JaY
Old
Thanks Meter 357
Default Re: HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Multitasking is just a double tap away man!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

Shasarak
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Why not go with on-screen buttons? So you can have a 1920x1080 screen instead of losing 200 pixels or so on one side.

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1285

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak View Post
Why not go with on-screen buttons? So you can have a 1920x1080 screen instead of losing 200 pixels or so on one side.
It's all in the flavor of the designer. I myself prefer this layout over android's on screen button.

And I must say if the HTC One had the on screen but I would have gone with Xperia ZL and never leaped to HTC One.

Eggcake
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post
It's all in the flavor of the designer. I myself prefer this layout over android's on screen button.

And I must say if the HTC One had the on screen but I would have gone with Xperia ZL and never leaped to HTC One.
TBH I prefer physical capacitive buttons over pure software buttons. There are pro and contra for both of them - in the end it's a matter of taste - you get used to both of them.
What I really don't like are physical buttons like the home button on the Galaxy Line. They need to be implemented perfectly, like on the iPhone or they are a major nuisance.

AayushDhuria
Old
Thanks Meter 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post

+1. I get to use gestures from bottom edge of the screen using apps if I have no software keys.

onlinejobwork
Old
(Last edited by onlinejobwork; 22nd February 2013 at 12:25 PM.) Reason: error
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak View Post
Hi for example Xperia Z got on screen button and 5" screen but 3-4 mm, onscreen button taking space unnecessary so practically 4.7" in HTC one screen screen got same usable screen area as 5" of Xperia Z, I got S3 atm and when I install custom rom which enable on screen button and than I realise that on screen button is waste of precious screen size, for better information see using compare tools side-by side and you will see almost there is not much advantage of 5" screen because of onscreen button wasting space and look like .3" screen look like black strip at bottom, I would also like to see if anyone can compare actual usable screen area of Z vs ONE and post here please

U

kalo88
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I don't like the on screen software buttons, in many apps they remain visible ie: games... bit irritating.

robinwu007
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
I don't like the on screen software buttons, in many apps they remain visible ie: games... bit irritating.
Yepp That's very annoying. Especially during games.

crawlgsx
Old
Thanks Meter 267

DONATE TO ME
On screen buttons would be an immediate deal breaker for me. The Nexus 4 will be the last phone I ever buy with on screen buttons. I hate it, with a passion.

Thank you HTC for NOT using on-screen buttons.
Chris D.
AT&T | HTC One M8
Previously - LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.