Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,595 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Tip us?

Tomatoes8
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCk.JaY View Post
I don't think it will take more than a day to get used to it!
Says the HTC cheerleader.

CrazyTechnoBoy
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Default Re: HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Are we already starting drama in this thread.? ._.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
Android for Life <3

jhonsok
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Default Re: HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

I don't mind the new button layout but there better be a way to map a menu key somewhere.

I play lots of emulators and I need a menu key to access options. I hate that stupid black bar designated for menu, it really kills the experience for me. I hated my one x at first because of that.

With that said, I'm happy with what they've done for their next hero device. Can't wait.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

townay
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
To solve this losing work space complain, they could make made a phone with 5" screen like the butterfly and still get 4.8" real state .

OK some of you don't like on screen buttons but are you actually saying you prefer to not have a multitasking button ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Really dislike onscreen buttons. All they ever do is take up screen space.

Multitasking button only requires you to double tap Home button.
Are people really that lazy now?

hTc Sensation with ARHD 7.2 XE
hTc One on stock

epsix
Old
Thanks Meter 240

DONATE TO ME

Guys I heard double tap on back button to get into settings, just like double tap on home button to use multiple apps.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

jotha
Old
Recognized Themer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7725
Default Thread cleaned

...from some troll. He'll not be back for some time .
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude towards the problem! - Captain Jack Sparrow

Some things I made:
CirclesMod All-in-One Mod-Pack for One
APM for One X
- APM for One V - EQS for One X
Battery% Mods for One X - CirclesMod for One X
Themes for 4ext Recovery Touch -

NO support questions via PM, I will NOT answer.
PM is personal, support is for all to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to jotha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

techguyone
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTechnoBoy View Post
I would much rather have a three button layout (the third one being a dedicated menu button), but this two button layout isn't preventing me from buying it in anyway.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
What are you on about?

The whole point of Android going to a 3 button from 4 button layout was to REMOVE the menu button...

It went from: MENU BACK HOME SEARCH

to: BACK HOME MULTITASK

no one with a 3 button layout has MENU as a dedicated button anymore.

Admitedly HTC's going to a 2 button layout is a bit.. odd but I don't think it's going to be bothersome to adapt to it, far better that they stuck with capacitive buttons, the on screen ones have a number of drawbacks.
Voice of reason. Mind of a maniac.

Eggcake
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
What are you on about?

The whole point of Android going to a 3 button from 4 button layout was to REMOVE the menu button...

It went from: MENU BACK HOME SEARCH

to: BACK HOME MULTITASK

no one with a 3 button layout has MENU as a dedicated button anymore.

Admitedly HTC's going to a 2 button layout is a bit.. odd but I don't think it's going to be bothersome to adapt to it, far better that they stuck with capacitive buttons, the on screen ones have a number of drawbacks.
1. SGS3 still has the old button layout
2. Not everything Google does is for the best

In my opinion, the switch from Menu to Multitask was a very bad decision. I get the reasoning behind it (unhide UI elements), but it was one of the "features" of Android in my opinion that you could truly have full screen applications without the need of any UI elements (you always had the option to go back and for other options you had the menu button).
So yeah, menu button makes less sense nowadays as many apps have a dedicated on screen menu button anyways, so it gets kinda useless. But to be perfectly honest, I don't really need the MT button either. Yes, I use it from time to time but not as much a dedicated button would in any way make my life easier.
In fact, on my One X, I have mapped the MT key to be the menu key and long press MT key to multitask instead. I use the menu key WAY more often.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonsok View Post
I don't mind the new button layout but there better be a way to map a menu key somewhere.

I play lots of emulators and I need a menu key to access options. I hate that stupid black bar designated for menu, it really kills the experience for me. I hated my one x at first because of that.

With that said, I'm happy with what they've done for their next hero device. Can't wait.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
I'm not really sure if you're aware that you can disable the menu bar in the settings of the One X and map the Menu key to the multitasking key (either press for menu and longpress for multitask or the other way around).

vegetaleb
Old
Thanks Meter 828
I think I will always miss the N1 trackball,for both waking the phone and missed call lights.
I love the HTC One but if could find a single disadvantage,it's the 2 buttons instead of 3, I wonder if we will have S2W with empty space between 2 buttons,perhaps it will be 2tap2W (two taps the button to wake)

JOSE89178
Old
Thanks Meter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
On screen buttons would be an immediate deal breaker for me. The Nexus 4 will be the last phone I ever buy with on screen buttons. I hate it, with a passion.

Thank you HTC for NOT using on-screen buttons.
Lol. I have the Atrix HD. These on screen buttons are ridiculous!

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium