5,605,187 Members 37,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 2 WiFi both 2.4 & 5.0 GHz

Tip us?

RDI
Old
(Last edited by RDI; 22nd February 2013 at 06:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43

DONATE TO ME
Default Note 2 WiFi both 2.4 & 5.0 GHz

I ran WiFi Analyzer and it shows all the traffic on both and which channels are empty. The 5GHz band is a N-150

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
RDI ... Computer Hardware Distributor ... www.RDI.us

y2whisper
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDI View Post
I ran WiFi Analyzer and it shows all the traffic on both and which channels are empty. The 5GHz band is a N-150

best way to test for sure would be to put the modem in 5ghz only mode. sucks that if its there you cant configure it in your settings. but then again i'm on a custom rom. So it may be there on stock.
Google Nexus 5 by LG 32GB
Stock Rom - Rooted
Faux Kernel

Google Nexus 10 by Samsung 32GB
Jumping between Stock 4.4.1 and CM 11

hyelton
Old
Thanks Meter 1666

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDI View Post

okay so what are you asking?
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.
Current Phone: White Nexus 5 16GB

Check out my Personal site and Photography www.hunterspad.com
Please Click Thanks If I helped you in any way!
If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored I have my Own Server StorageCow.eu and can host anything for you
The Following User Says Thank You to hyelton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RDI
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Note 2 WiFi both 2.4 & 5.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
okay so what are you asking?
Not asking, just didn't know that the Note 2 was dual standard. The best Link Speed @ 2.4 is 72 Mbps & @ 5.0 is 150 Mbps

MaestroSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 0

Problem worth of 5 ghz is the range is very small.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

hyelton
Old
Thanks Meter 1666

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroSeven View Post
Problem worth of 5 ghz is the range is very small.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium
5ghz range on the Note 2 is pretty good depends on your router. my 5ghz is the same in my 2 story house is as my 2.4ghz with my ASUS rt-56u

now my linksys 5ghz router sucks
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.

If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored I have my Own Server StorageCow.eu and can host anything for you

g2tegg
Old
Thanks Meter 111
The real advantage of 5Ghz higher throughput (less noise, depending on where you live) which makes its only advantage is streaming media, file sharing, etc.. 2.4Ghz covers a larger area, and doesn't have near the amount of "dead zones" as 5Gz.
I use both, but when I'm on the other side of my house, the 5Ghz signal is generally -10 to -15dB worse then my 2.4Ghz signal.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote:
5ghz range on the Note 2 is pretty good depends on your router. my 5ghz is the same in my 2 story house is as my 2.4ghz with my ASUS rt-56u

now my linksys 5ghz router sucks
It typically appears that way because of the amount of noise on 2.4Ghz. Where I live, in a subdivision, there is absolutely no clean channels. The airways are so clogged because routers can only operate between 11 (I think?) channels. To defend my theory I brought home a spectrum analyzer and was amazed. Every house in this survey is operating a router.
Dual band routers aren't as common, as well as less distance so the noise levels are typically great on 5Ghz. As I said earlier, the only advantage of 5Ghz is if you plan on streaming HD movies (lets say from a media centre to Boxee Box/Apple TV/Roku), or transferring files. 2.4Ghz will do just fine for everything else considering typical internet packages are less then 100Mb always.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - DD, Acer C710 W/16GB Ram/64GB SSD/Dual Boot Ubuntu/ChromeOS
Moto X # 2 - Sold, HTC One - Sold, Nexus 5 - Sold, Moto X - Sold, Galaxy Note 2 Titanium - Sold, Optimus G - Traded for a case of beer, Nexus 4 - Sold, Galaxy Note 2 White - Sold, Galaxy S3 - Sold, Galaxy Note N7000 - Sold, Galaxy Note I717 - Sold, Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE - Sold, Samsung, Galaxy S2 - Work, Motorola Razr - Sold, Motorola Atrix - IN PIECES

hyelton
Old
Thanks Meter 1666

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2tegg View Post
The real advantage of 5Ghz higher throughput (less noise, depending on where you live) which makes its only advantage is streaming media, file sharing, etc.. 2.4Ghz covers a larger area, and doesn't have near the amount of "dead zones" as 5Gz.
I use both, but when I'm on the other side of my house, the 5Ghz signal is generally -10 to -15dB worse then my 2.4Ghz signal.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

It typically appears that way because of the amount of noise on 2.4Ghz. Where I live, in a subdivision, there is absolutely no clean channels. The airways are so clogged because routers can only operate between 11 (I think?) channels. To defend my theory I brought home a spectrum analyzer and was amazed. Every house in this survey is operating a router.
Dual band routers aren't as common, as well as less distance so the noise levels are typically great on 5Ghz. As I said earlier, the only advantage of 5Ghz is if you plan on streaming HD movies (lets say from a media centre to Boxee Box/Apple TV/Roku), or transferring files. 2.4Ghz will do just fine for everything else considering typical internet packages are less then 100Mb always.
I`m the ONLY person around who has it haha so only networks are mine which are 3

g2tegg
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
I`m the ONLY person around who has it haha so only networks are mine which are 3
HA well there was so much 2.4Ghz noise in my area that I decided to install one of my outdoor radios in my house. They can be configured in such a way that WiFi devices can associate with it.
Needless to say, my wireless range is now 2 Km from my house lol. I'll probably die one day from cancer because of too much RF energy, but so far so good. Wife and I just had baby number 4 so it hasn't done a whole lot yet haha!!
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - DD, Acer C710 W/16GB Ram/64GB SSD/Dual Boot Ubuntu/ChromeOS
Moto X # 2 - Sold, HTC One - Sold, Nexus 5 - Sold, Moto X - Sold, Galaxy Note 2 Titanium - Sold, Optimus G - Traded for a case of beer, Nexus 4 - Sold, Galaxy Note 2 White - Sold, Galaxy S3 - Sold, Galaxy Note N7000 - Sold, Galaxy Note I717 - Sold, Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE - Sold, Samsung, Galaxy S2 - Work, Motorola Razr - Sold, Motorola Atrix - IN PIECES

RDI
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43

DONATE TO ME

Is there any way to get the Note 2 to connect on both 2.4 & 5.0 at the same time?