Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,463 Members 50,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

Tip us?

Viper420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

I have a tmo samsung galaxy note 2, that i purchased in December. I have not rooted the phone, thus stock ROM and all. The phone is up to date with the latest updates from tmobile. just two days ago, i tried to pass some photos from my phone to the PC via USB Cable. i connect the phone to my pc and it only goes to charge the phone, no connection notifications on neither the phone side nor the PC (Windows 7 home premium 64-bit). so i went to samsung for support, and got the run around of re-install the USB drivers, re-install Kies software, etc. after the un-installs i reset the PC, and after the re-installs, i reset the PC but nothing changed. also i soft reset the phone (turn it off, take out battery for 30 seconds, then turn it on), and still nothing. i have tried all different USB ports on my PC, have used different USB cables (my brother also has the GN2 so i tried with his USB cable). tried again on my mom's laptop, brother's PC, and i get no response at all from the PC's nor my GN2. could something inside have become damaged, i mean i take care of it like it was a baby, but maybe...???

on a side note, i used windows media player to transfer music the last time i was able to transfer, but the playlists showed up in both ext and int storage, so i deleted the int storage playlist files. could there be a problem stemming from WMPInfo.xml in the both the int/ext storage card?

if i'm missing any info to help with the problem, just ask. i'd like to get this resolved asap, since transferring over Kies Air is a hassle and sometimes doesn't respond properly, since i use my phone as my main camera and like to back up all my pics/vids on to an ext HDD.

Double0EK
Old
Thanks Meter 833
Default Re: [Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

After you plug the usb in to the phone and pc are you putting the phone in storage card mode? The phone will ask you.

Viper420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
it doesn't ask anything. the phone isnt recognizing that its been connected to a PC. it only goes to charge the phone, nothing else happens... :/

PhxDroid86
Old
(Last edited by PhxDroid86; 23rd February 2013 at 07:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 104

Bad usb port, try a different one, also another basic USB fix (with other devices) is to actually unplug the CPU/laptop from its power source for like 5 minutes... have you factory reset your phone? Not really sure but this problem sounds familiar with another I heard a while ago, not exactly sure what the end result was

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added 23rd February 2013 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 22nd February 2013 at 11:55 PM ----------

After re reading, if it's not ports, drivers, or bad flashing, and assuming you have made sure all your files are in order (mention of removing double files?), then Id say it's some sort of internal configuration with the settings of your cpu to your particular phone. Either some program is taking over how your cpu reads the device when plugged in, therefore causing your phone to behave the way it is, or usb ports need some inspecting. I wonder if its just MTP that is "under control" (maybe qualcomm usb "troubleshooting" could confirm this, of course Odin could too, perhaps)

The Following User Says Thank You to PhxDroid86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prepaidguy9081
Old
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME

on windows 8, sometimes i haft to reboot, sometimes i jaft to reinstall drivers to get phone to connect

Sent from my SGH-T889

Viper420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDroid86 View Post
Bad usb port, try a different one, also another basic USB fix (with other devices) is to actually unplug the CPU/laptop from its power source for like 5 minutes... have you factory reset your phone? Not really sure but this problem sounds familiar with another I heard a while ago, not exactly sure what the end result was

---------- Post added 23rd February 2013 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 22nd February 2013 at 11:55 PM ----------

After re reading, if it's not ports, drivers, or bad flashing, and assuming you have made sure all your files are in order (mention of removing double files?), then Id say it's some sort of internal configuration with the settings of your cpu to your particular phone. Either some program is taking over how your cpu reads the device when plugged in, therefore causing your phone to behave the way it is, or usb ports need some inspecting. I wonder if its just MTP that is "under control" (maybe qualcomm usb "troubleshooting" could confirm this, of course Odin could too, perhaps)

i thought at first it was Kaspersky Internet Security, but if that had been the case, it would've blocked my phone from connecting from day one. could it have something to do with the ext storage card (going out on a limb here)? i ahve contacted tmobile directly, to see what they say, but i'm trying everything, even have disabled my KIS, restarted my PC and still nothing. i'll try the troubleshooting your talking about. hopefully that sets everything straight. the wierdest part is that now Kies Air is picking up my phone and all, it just isnt working over USB cable ...

Viper420
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
also, i haven't factory reset my phone. saving that as a last resort option if all else fails. quick note, this problem seems to have presented itself after the latest Kies update. but wouldn't explain why its not responding after re-install.

Pirobo_Colombino
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper420 View Post
also, i haven't factory reset my phone. saving that as a last resort option if all else fails. quick note, this problem seems to have presented itself after the latest Kies update. but wouldn't explain why its not responding after re-install.
I am having the same problem..
any luck?

maniep
Old
(Last edited by maniep; 23rd February 2013 at 10:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 57
Guys, I hope the following helps you.

When you plug the Note to the PC USB cable-computer, you will see the USB icon on notification bar as charging.

Pull down the notification bar with your finger and tap on the charging USB notification.

Change the setting to the Camera and then unplug the phone from USB and plug it back again.

That should work. Look in the computer for devises and you will see the camera icon on your PC and also your C drive
and other devices.

Click it and the card/phone storage part will show up.

If it does not, re start PC and plug un plug the cable.

Work for me every time.

I too run Windows 8 Pro and that is how I do it.

DEV: HTC SENSATION 4G
Elegancia Sense 4.1 v3.0.0 CPU 1783 Mhz

DEV II: SAMSUNG Galaxy Note III
|ROM| Stock. Root de la Vega [KNOX 0x0 Root | SM-N900T]

Viper420
Old
(Last edited by Viper420; 24th February 2013 at 12:20 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniep View Post
Guys, I hope the following helps you.

When you plug the Note to the PC USB cable-computer, you will see the USB icon on notification bar as charging.

Pull down the notification bar with your finger and tap on the charging USB notification.

Change the setting to the Camera and then unplug the phone from USB and plug it back again.

That should work. Look in the computer for devises and you will see the camera icon on your PC and also your C drive
and other devices.

Click it and the card/phone storage part will show up.

If it does not, re start PC and plug un plug the cable.

Work for me every time.

I too run Windows 8 Pro and that is how I do it.

the problem is that the USB icon never appears on the notification bar, nor is it anywhere to be found when i pull down the notification bar. something is interfering with the phone recognizing connection to a PC's USB port...I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64
still haven't figured out what the problem might be. definitely going to T-Mobile store tomorrow...