5,598,908 Members 30,719 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

Tip us?
 
guardm
Old
#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 129
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NorthEastern US
Did you try another cable? Another PC?
 
PhxDroid86
Old
(Last edited by PhxDroid86; 24th February 2013 at 01:52 AM.)
#12  
PhxDroid86's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 443
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix
Default Re: [Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

If your brothers phone plugs in and is read perfectly fine on your PC then it's something with your phone... probably fixable with a reflash of stock.

It seems to me that your device is having an issue with MTP connectiviry (as your phones USB still charges when plugged in) and like I said, if you download the proper Qualcomm drivers for the GNII onto your pc, and use your phones dialer to adjust qualcomm usb settings (for example let's say) to enable QPST connectivity, then you could confirm its just MTP that is malfunctioning... if it's just MTP then as a troubleshooting guide, you could start disabling/reset settings to default/reinstalling apps on your phone or programs on your pc that are directly related to your phone being connected to your PC through USB (Kies, Windows Media, any other 3rd party apps or programs you may use, etc)

Eventually when disabling one of these apps you should get MTP working again (and at least then you have found the culprit-rogue app/program)

If it's not the PC (ie you still can't get connection to work when plugging into a different PC, and have troubleshot all your phones apps) then might be time to file a warranty claim

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper420 View Post
i thought at first it was Kaspersky Internet Security, but if that had been the case, it would've blocked my phone from connecting from day one. could it have something to do with the ext storage card (going out on a limb here)? i ahve contacted tmobile directly, to see what they say, but i'm trying everything, even have disabled my KIS, restarted my PC and still nothing. i'll try the troubleshooting your talking about. hopefully that sets everything straight. the wierdest part is that now Kies Air is picking up my phone and all, it just isnt working over USB cable ...
And to answer your question, yes... As a "basic" troubleshooting option, one should always try to use different SD cards in their phone to see if there is any difference!! Considering your brother has a GNII, I'd say not only do you have all the resources needed to find any problem any your phone ever has, but the resources are there to fix them as well

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to PhxDroid86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Viper420
Old
(Last edited by Viper420; 24th February 2013 at 07:19 AM.)
#13  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDroid86 View Post
If your brothers phone plugs in and is read perfectly fine on your PC then it's something with your phone... probably fixable with a reflash of stock.

It seems to me that your device is having an issue with MTP connectiviry (as your phones USB still charges when plugged in) and like I said, if you download the proper Qualcomm drivers for the GNII onto your pc, and use your phones dialer to adjust qualcomm usb settings (for example let's say) to enable QPST connectivity, then you could confirm its just MTP that is malfunctioning... if it's just MTP then as a troubleshooting guide, you could start disabling/reset settings to default/reinstalling apps on your phone or programs on your pc that are directly related to your phone being connected to your PC through USB (Kies, Windows Media, any other 3rd party apps or programs you may use, etc)

Eventually when disabling one of these apps you should get MTP working again (and at least then you have found the culprit-rogue app/program)

If it's not the PC (ie you still can't get connection to work when plugging into a different PC, and have troubleshot all your phones apps) then might be time to file a warranty claim

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------



And to answer your question, yes... As a "basic" troubleshooting option, one should always try to use different SD cards in their phone to see if there is any difference!! Considering your brother has a GNII, I'd say not only do you have all the resources needed to find any problem any your phone ever has, but the resources are there to fix them as well

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
i will definitely take this advice and try it out in the morning. hopefully this helps. otherwise its off to the T-Mobile store.

on a side note, i read recently somewhere that the issue i'm having may be presented while using a USB 3.0 port. Even though i do not have a USB 3.0 port, i recently purchased an external HDD which runs on USB 3.0/2.0 (compatible). could it be possible that such a configuration might have caused the issue (again going out on a far reaching limb)...??
 
PhxDroid86
Old
#14  
PhxDroid86's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 443
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix
Default Re: [Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper420 View Post
i will definitely take this advice and try it out in the morning. hopefully this helps. otherwise its off to the T-Mobile store.

on a side note, i read recently somewhere that the issue i'm having may be presented while using a USB 3.0 port. Even though i do not have a USB 3.0 port, i recently purchased an external HDD which runs on USB 3.0/2.0 (compatible). could it be possible that such a configuration might have caused the issue (again going out on a far reaching limb)...??
Maybe if your hdd tried to auto load something onto your phone upon plug in... considering your stock, I don't see how this issue is even happening... outside of some app/program settings or some type of "hung" connection, the basic steps you have already covered with drivers/ports etc, should have nixed the problem

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
 
Viper420
Old
#15  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
okay, so weirdest thing ever. I took my phone into T-Mobile store, where they connected it to their PC and boom, it picked up without a hitch. So they gave me a new wire, and when i got home the problem was solved. the GN2 is now back in order, responding as it should. thank you everyone for your input.
 
Viper420
Old
#16  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 34
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirobo_Colombino View Post
I am having the same problem..
any luck?
i took it in to the T-Mobile store. turned out to be my USB wire. that fixed the problem for me. i'd say that's your best bet. hopefully your problem resolves as easily as mine did.
 
PhxDroid86
Old
#17  
PhxDroid86's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 443
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix
Default Re: [Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

Lol, stupid cables

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
 
superg05
Old
#18  
superg05's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 248
Join Date: Aug 2008
its being read as a media player under my computer you will see it and after you install the drivers you will get the pop up folder drag in drop in a limited do you want to convert this first or no media player options

you have a free idea u wanna share with google to improve android or a google apps do it here on there site for ideas http://productideas.appspot.com/
 
Pirobo_Colombino
Old
#19  
Pirobo_Colombino's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 25
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper420 View Post
i took it in to the T-Mobile store. turned out to be my USB wire. that fixed the problem for me. i'd say that's your best bet. hopefully your problem resolves as easily as mine did.
Thanks a lot. In my case it is not the cable and I'm still lost here. Not really sure what could be. I plugged in another GN2 using the same cable and the pc sees it.
Hopefully someone out there could advise me.

Thanks again.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Samsung EFS Tool Updated to V5, Brings Universal Device Support

You may recall that we’ve talked about XDA Recognized Contributor … more

Say Goodbye to Holo Blue Once and for All

When Google released Android 4.4 KitKat back in October of last year, they changed quite a bit … more

Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition Receives Bluetooth Certification for Android 4.4.3

You may recall that a few days ago, Sprint jumped the gun … more

Easily Configure Xposed Module Projects in Eclipse

XDA Recognized Developer rovo89‘s innovative and versatile Xposed Framework allows … more