Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

OP RichMD

23rd February 2013, 05:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 777

1,549 posts
More
FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
PAID - $10 - rayandreas
PAID - $50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
PAID - $29 - btpd21
PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
PAID - $5 - muqali
PAID - $10 - rlee008
$5 - kingP1n
$5 - deviusdragger
$5 - lovekeiiy
PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
PAID - $5 ristiisa
PAID - $10 Grant Barker
** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2239453
He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :P
Last edited by RichMD; 25th May 2013 at 05:53 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RichMD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 09:04 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 206

720 posts
This is great! Booting aokp and tw rom. Win win!
23rd February 2013, 10:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag CT

1,549 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprophotography

This is great! Booting aokp and tw rom. Win win!

I want to stress that is a possibility (although probable I believe). DerTeufel1980 has already said that certainly you could boot 2 TW or 2 AOSP ROMs. That would be using the same kernel. He would have to swap kernels during the dual-boot process to switch between ROM types I believe but that probably could be done. If anyone is willing to donate to get him a device to work on, please just post here and I will update the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichMD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 11:07 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag CT

1,549 posts
More
Changed the OP title to ask if anyone is even willing to risk $5.00 for the capability.
23rd February 2013, 11:19 PM   |  #5  
Flag Nevşehir
Thanks Meter: 3

80 posts
More
are you ready ?
23rd February 2013, 11:22 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag CT

1,549 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hepterci

are you ready ?

??? Are you asking if we are ready to accept donations to buy a device yet? The answer to that is not yet. DerTeufel1980 can't afford to spend the additional several hundred dollars needed to buy a Note 2. If I can't gather enough donation promises then it will be pointless to ask anyone to donate yet. If you are willing to donate, just reply and I will add your name to the list. I'll even bump my promise to $75.00 if this thread will generate some more donations.
23rd February 2013, 11:22 PM   |  #7  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 828

3,229 posts
More
Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?
I buy apps all the time. But not before they are developed. Seen too many projects dropped right after I pay.

Sent By An Idiot With A Phablet!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RonnieRuff For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 11:35 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag CT

1,549 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieRuff

I buy apps all the time. But not before they are developed. Seen too many projects dropped right after I pay.

Thanks, but don't you think there is a difference in this case? Anyone can develop and app without the specific device. Nobody could successfully develop a dual-boot capability for a device they don't have to test with. People don't want to donate until after he completes the work. That will not happen if he can't get the device to start the work...
I'm really surprised people aren't willing to "risk" even $5.00 for someone who has already proven he could create a dual-boot kernel.
23rd February 2013, 11:45 PM   |  #9  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 828

3,229 posts
More
Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD

Thanks, but don't you think there is a difference in this case? Anyone can develop and app without the specific device. Nobody could successfully develop a dual-boot capability for a device they don't have to test with. People don't want to donate until after he completes the work. That will not happen if he can't get the device to start the work...
I'm really surprised people aren't willing to "risk" even $5.00 for someone who has already proven he could create a dual-boot kernel.

Sorry... Seen to many people walk away after I donated.

The Following User Says Thank You to RonnieRuff For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2013, 12:23 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 137

736 posts
close thread

The Following User Says Thank You to ionic7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dual boot
Previous Thread Next Thread