Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,426 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T vs Sprint for Note 2

Tip us?

noitall77
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default AT&T vs Sprint for Note 2

I am looking to purchase the Note 2 and I have the option of Sprint or AT&T, is there any real benefit of one carrier vs the other for this particular phone?

scottypeterson
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Default Re: AT&T vs Sprint for Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noitall77 View Post
I am looking to purchase the Note 2 and I have the option of Sprint or AT&T, is there any real benefit of one carrier vs the other for this particular phone?
Im pretty sure the phones are the exact same but with at&t your service may be better depending on your location. Sprint is behind on 4g and 4g lte coverage. Sprint has unlimited data and I don't think at&t offers that. So if I were you I would ask friends that live in your area to get their opinions or even google search and see if you can find any forums that tell about at&t coverage in your area. Hope I helped some!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
Device: Rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2
]
Hit that thanks button if I helped
The Following User Says Thank You to scottypeterson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

budde2
Old
Thanks Meter 328

Quote:
They are the same I woukd go with sprint they are way cheaper and with a phone of this caliber you need unlimited. They are launching LTE pretty fast I got a great lte connection in Tampa Florida pretty much everywhere i go it suoer fast and consistent.

TirithXiato
Old
Thanks Meter 22

Sprint also supposedly claims they want lte running anywhere 3g is eventually.... getting it everywhere I go anymore

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network

DarkManX4lf
Old
Thanks Meter 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypeterson View Post
Im pretty sure the phones are the exact same but with at&t your service may be better depending on your location. Sprint is behind on 4g and 4g lte coverage. Sprint has unlimited data and I don't think at&t offers that. So if I were you I would ask friends that live in your area to get their opinions or even google search and see if you can find any forums that tell about at&t coverage in your area. Hope I helped some!

Pretty much this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkManX4lf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

noitall77
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkManX4lf View Post
Pretty much this.
I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T that I have had for years so it looks like I will stick with AT&T due to coverage
The Following User Says Thank You to noitall77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

00mred00
Old
Thanks Meter 406

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T that I have had for years so it looks like I will stick with AT&T due to coverage
Coverage is exactly what you should look at.

We have an att note 2 and a sprint note 2....equally fantastic. Coverage in my area is pretty much the same here, the wife just wants to stick with att since she has had them so long.

If one didnt have unlimited on att ...I would def look towards sprint

Is att still throttling after 5gb of use? Thats a huge factor on why I gave up my line

swalter718
Old
Thanks Meter 73

Since AT&T throttles all unlimited data plans (except those that were grandfathered in) past 5gb/mo. But Sprint doesn't yet have the extensive LTE coverage that AT&T does. If you live in an area where Sprint has rolled out its 4G LTE network, or predominantly use Wifi, I'd suggest Sprint. On the other hand, if Sprint only has 3G in your home zone and you can't rely on wifi consistently when you need the higher speeds, AT&T may be the way to go. I've been with Sprint for nearly 15 years and don't mind waiting for their LTE network. (tho I certainly hope for sooner rather than later) For me, the bandwidth throttling on downloads over the 5GB/mo is a deal breaker. I typically use 25+GB/mo on my phone and Sprint never throttles by bandwidth.

* I'm Rick James, bitch! *
The Following User Says Thank You to swalter718 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lovekeiiy
Old
Thanks Meter 159
I can confirm no throttling by Sprint. Since getting the GN2, I''m using over 50GB of data per month. It's up from the 25GB or more when I had the Evo 4G and used 3G almost exclusive; I had access to WiMax if I went to certain towns. I live in area LTE, but it's not everywhere, so I bounce between both all the time.

The other big difference, Sprint is CDMA and has the simcard built in. ATT is GMA, which is used world wide. ATT may not have the simcard build in, and thus world travel friendly. Something to consider if you plan on traveling.

Beyond that, I would just look at your data usages, carrier coverage, and reliability.

Lastly, you do realize we're going to be bias to Sprint.

thegregbradley
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post
I can confirm no throttling by Sprint. Since getting the GN2, I''m using over 50GB of data per month. It's up from the 25GB or more when I had the Evo 4G and used 3G almost exclusive; I had access to WiMax if I went to certain towns. I live in area LTE, but it's not everywhere, so I bounce between both all the time.

The other big difference, Sprint is CDMA and has the simcard built in. ATT is GMA, which is used world wide. ATT may not have the simcard build in, and thus world travel friendly. Something to consider if you plan on traveling.

Beyond that, I would just look at your data usages, carrier coverage, and reliability.

Lastly, you do realize we're going to be bias to Sprint.
A slight correction here, the Sprint GN2 can be used "worldwide," but only in certain areas I believe. And you'll be paying out the ass for the service, as you cannot put a cheapy sim in there, you have to pay for Sprint's world service. Sucks

So yes if travel is something that you need to do with your GN2, ATT may be the better carrier. But you'll probably save a good $30 a month with Sprint, which is more than enough to cover a cheap burner phone purchase for when you're traveling. Keep the note on ya for wifi connectivity, use the burner for phone calls, save money
I have a Note 2. Stock unrooted.