Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,971 Members 44,694 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why do I need to factory reset after flashing stock?

Tip us?

rxnelson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default [Q] Why do I need to factory reset after flashing stock?

OK, so I have seen several threads on people getting stuck on the boot animation after flashing the device. It looks like sometimes wiping cache in recovery fixes it but for me I always have to factory reset. I am more interested in the why. I am using the flash-all.bat from Google in windows 7. I've probably flashed it 3 or 4 times and every time it gets stuck on the boot logo and I have to boot back to recovery and factory reset. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is this "normal"? It looks like there are commands for erasing the partitions in the script so I am just curious why it never just boots.

Thanks.

beekay201
Old
(Last edited by beekay201; 24th February 2013 at 04:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1119
Default Re: [Q] Why do I need to factory reset after flashing stock?

Are you flashing userdata.img ? If not, there's your problem. If you are, I don't know. I flashed this Nexus as I did the other one. Same story. No issues if userdata.img is flashed. I bumped into this with my maguro, one time I didn't flash userdata. Bootlooped, straight back into recovery, factory reset straightened it out.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
hammerhead/omni-KTU84M/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-2.0.50.1.13
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/stock-KRT16S/custom#3.4.39
tf201/cm10-NIGHTLY#20120820/stock#2.6.39.4
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)
The Following User Says Thank You to beekay201 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rxnelson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk201doesntexist View Post
Are you flashing userdata.img ? If not, there's your problem. If you are, I don't know. I flashed this Nexus as I did the other one. Same story. No issues if userdata.img is flashed. I bumped into this with my maguro, one time I didn't flash userdata. Bootlooped, straight back into recovery, factory reset straightened it out.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
Honestly not sure. I am using the bat they have packed in the file. It appears to flash a zip that contains userdata.img. I'll keep a better eye on the command prompt the next time I flash it.

rxnelson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
So that is what it ended up being. I installed the adb for 4.2 and it worked after that. I actually saw the userdata.img get pushed in the script. Funny though, when I pushed it manually on the old version of fastboot it still didn't work?

bigmatty
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I know you and I talked about it in the other thread, but just for reference - what I saw in that other-other thread talked about updating the fastboot.exe via the SDK update. I know I was storing files in the directory fastboot.exe resided in, then when I updated SDK that entire directory was refreshed. Other people have said they think the newer fastboot.exes have more options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1793113