[Q] Why do I need to factory reset after flashing stock?

Search This thread

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
OK, so I have seen several threads on people getting stuck on the boot animation after flashing the device. It looks like sometimes wiping cache in recovery fixes it but for me I always have to factory reset. I am more interested in the why. I am using the flash-all.bat from Google in windows 7. I've probably flashed it 3 or 4 times and every time it gets stuck on the boot logo and I have to boot back to recovery and factory reset. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is this "normal"? It looks like there are commands for erasing the partitions in the script so I am just curious why it never just boots.

Thanks.

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Are you flashing userdata.img ? If not, there's your problem. If you are, I don't know. I flashed this Nexus as I did the other one. Same story. No issues if userdata.img is flashed. I bumped into this with my maguro, one time I didn't flash userdata. Bootlooped, straight back into recovery, factory reset straightened it out.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: rxnelson

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Are you flashing userdata.img ? If not, there's your problem. If you are, I don't know. I flashed this Nexus as I did the other one. Same story. No issues if userdata.img is flashed. I bumped into this with my maguro, one time I didn't flash userdata. Bootlooped, straight back into recovery, factory reset straightened it out.

Honestly not sure. I am using the bat they have packed in the file. It appears to flash a zip that contains userdata.img. I'll keep a better eye on the command prompt the next time I flash it.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
So that is what it ended up being. I installed the adb for 4.2 and it worked after that. I actually saw the userdata.img get pushed in the script. Funny though, when I pushed it manually on the old version of fastboot it still didn't work?

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
I know you and I talked about it in the other thread, but just for reference - what I saw in that other-other thread talked about updating the fastboot.exe via the SDK update. I know I was storing files in the directory fastboot.exe resided in, then when I updated SDK that entire directory was refreshed. Other people have said they think the newer fastboot.exes have more options.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 227

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.