[Q] Backup locked bootloader

Search This thread

maframan

Jun 19, 2006
Hi, is it possible to backup original locked bootloader for any restore?
For example via dd command.

BR
maframan

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
I do not know for sure, but given the wizards we have in here -- like sbdags, _that, dasunsrule32, and many others that I look up to -- I would wager a finger that if it could be done they would've found a way by now and published it. I would definitely not hold my breath, mate. :)

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Actually, unlocking the bootloader does not even change the bootloader. It just writes a small data block into the hidden "CER" partition.

mbamberg

Actually, unlocking the bootloader does not even change the bootloader. It just writes a small data block into the hidden "CER" partition.

OK, I'm interested, if we know (not me personally) where the memory position is, and we know what it is before and after the unlock, what is the barrier to just resetting value to the pre-unlock value? Is it encrypted, obviously we can change the value so it's writable?

I'm not trying to be contrary, and I been reading on these forums for over two years, I know the "unlocker" comes from ASUS, but NONE of the wizards have figured it out? I'm just a half step above a noob, not a developer, just asking for basic information.:)

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
OK, I'm interested, if we know (not me personally) where the memory position is, and we know what it is before and after the unlock, what is the barrier to just resetting value to the pre-unlock value? Is it encrypted, obviously we can change the value so it's writable?

I'm not trying to be contrary, and I been reading on these forums for over two years, I know the "unlocker" comes from ASUS, but NONE of the wizards have figured it out? I'm just a half step above a noob, not a developer, just asking for basic information.:)

Mind you: it would serve no effective purpose at all, because ASUS registers the serial number of the unlocked device before probably even writing the block. The only reason you would want to be able to relock is for warranty purposes, but you'd be scr**ed anyway. ;)

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
OK, I'm interested, if we know (not me personally) where the memory position is, and we know what it is before and after the unlock, what is the barrier to just resetting value to the pre-unlock value?

As Marty said: It may be possible, but it's pointless.