Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Loose USB connection: Can I fix it myself?

Tip us?

mooooooa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default [Q] Loose USB connection: Can I fix it myself?

Hello. The other day, I discovered that my HD2 had a loose connection on the micro USB entrance. When the cable was plugged in, the connection was only made when the cable was pushed upside.

So I got it for repair, but yesterday the workshop called and said it was my own fault, so they will only fix it for a prize of 540$. As a prove for saying it's my own fault, they send me this picture: http://app1.appserver.dk:8080/Repair...etPic?id=51371.

They says that the pins from usb entrance is detached from the chip(motherboard), and that could only happen if I'd misused my HD2.

I declined the price offer for the repair, and they will ship my HD2 back.

My question is; Can I fix it myself? Maybe solder the pins to the chip? Is that possible? And how can I disassemble the HD2? Which tools do I need?

Please help!

Samsung Galaxy S3:
Rom: Stock!

InfX
Old
Thanks Meter 195
The picture isn't very clear, it's hard to say if it's possible and how easy/hard is it. It should be possible, though, but is probably going to be a tedious task. What you need to do is disassemble the phone to the point you can access the USB connector, just like they did on this pic. Take a look where are those detached traces supposed to connect to. Mind the possibility of it also going under the connector, take a look if there are any damaged via points etc. After you did this, you know what you have to restore, from this point on you should also know if you are up to the task.

mooooooa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfX View Post
The picture isn't very clear, it's hard to say if it's possible and how easy/hard is it. It should be possible, though, but is probably going to be a tedious task. What you need to do is disassemble the phone to the point you can access the USB connector, just like they did on this pic. Take a look where are those detached traces supposed to connect to. Mind the possibility of it also going under the connector, take a look if there are any damaged via points etc. After you did this, you know what you have to restore, from this point on you should also know if you are up to the task.
Let's put it up this way: If it was you, would you try fixing it yourself?
Samsung Galaxy S3:
Rom: Stock!

InfX
Old
(Last edited by InfX; 20th October 2010 at 06:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 195
Yes. But i do have some hardware related experience

Note that the price of $540 is TOTALLY not worth it, you can probably get a new HD2 for this price.

britoso
Old
Thanks Meter 281

DONATE TO ME
Have you tried another/new cable ?
Software Developer (Java/J2EE)
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB -> PA 4.4.2 + XPosed
Phone: Galaxy Nexus-> OmniMetal CM11
Phone: Nexus One (killed while replacing the digitizer)-> CM10.1 AOKP Unofficial Nightlies
Tablet
: Nook Color -> CM10.1 Nightlies
Tablet
: HP Touchpad -> CM10.1 -SCHIZOID
Stick: CX-919 RK3188/2GB (4.2.2 Finless 1.6b. FHD no-OC. Antutu 16753 Quadrant 4723)

Links:
»My Apps (ancient now) [CPUStatusLED] [MoreRecent]
»My Threads
»My Posts
»Transparent widgets

InfX
Old
Thanks Meter 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by britoso View Post
Have you tried another/new cable ?
Sorry, but you can clearly see some broken traces on the pic. If that's really is how it looks like, trying a new cable, or doing anything that applies any mechanical force to that connector, can only do more damage.

wergor
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i had a very similar problem with my htc universal back in the days, and had a console chipper repair it for me but if you're experienced using a soldering iron, maybe you can fix it yourself.
galaxy s3
my second htc hd2! (friend got my first one )
nandroid

Austrian xda-developers group

InfX
Old
Thanks Meter 195
a "console chipper" should have a lot of experience patching this kind of electronic stuff, indeed

Fergus278
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have just had this happen to me with an O2UK HD2.
Anovo have charged me £280 for the repair, claiming it needs a new pcb.

This isn't missuse, this is poor quality. I have never had this happen before and i am inclined to believe its a fault with poorly secured micro usb connectors.

It looks like i'll have to dig out my soldering iron too, lets hope i don't overheat the pads!!

Throatchopper
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have an HD2 with a non working usb problem...I have yet to open it up to verify whether its a mechanical or software related issue...I'm betting looks like your pic on the inside

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

Tags
usb mico connection loose