Cracked screen? A warning about replacement LCDs.

Search This thread

ThisWasATriumph

Aug 14, 2010
Detroit
Xiaomi Mi 9
As you may know, there are quite a few differences between the North-American/Australian and international One X models. The LCD is, unfortunately, no exception. Veterans of this forum may remember this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1639924&highlight=lcd+manufacturer which pointed out that the ATT and Rogers (still not sure about Teltra) versions have LCDs manufactured by Sony, wheres the Tegra One X has a lottery of either Acer (AUO) or Sharp displays.

Now the issue here is when attempting to find a replacement screen for our model. My One X screen met a sad end in a very unfortunate set of circumstances involving butter and concrete. I found out the hard, expensive way that an AU Optronics screen will not look right installed on our devices. My screen is all washed out with the gamma calibration very wrong and sometimes loosing all red in the RGB spectrum. While this could likely be fixed with a custom kernel, sadly I doubt flar2 wants to code one for a handful of people. (possibly just me, but I have read in a few thread about other people complaining about washed out replacement screens)

Telling the difference so you don't make the same mistake I did:
Now ebay and many many other sites I have scoured in my quest to source the correct screen are a complete mess when it come to this. Most sellers do not specify what model LCD they are selling. It may not matter for the international version which they use. However, at least for me, using an AUO screen did not work out well. I have read in a few places that the Sharp display will work on all models but personally I do not want to risk it. Anyway here's how to tell the difference:
UQ766-6.jpg

I found this handy picture on a seller's page. The correct Sony display has a yellow flex ribbon with a green portion on the inside bottom of the straight flex ribbon. This makes it very difficult to tell the difference between the AUO and Sony versions as pictures usually do not show the portion of the flex cable in question. I have found a few ebay sellers that specify that theirs is indeed the Sony green+yellow flex LCD (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Full-LC...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48503ac38c), but none new for a reasonable price. I have yet to find a U.S. dealer that specifies the manufacturer of the LCD they are selling. I would hope that LCDs sold in the US would be the correct model but I am hesitant to possibly make the same mistake again... Exhibit A: http://www.repairsuniverse.com/htc-one-x-lcd-touch-screen-replacement.html Although based in Nevada, God know which model they're selling. I may call them and see if they can find out for me as they seem to be a decent local seller. If anyone can find a source of Sony panels, please post it.

Now you maybe be thinking "Why not just buy the digitizer only?" Well the LCD and glass digitizer are optically bonded (read:glued together) and I ripped my LCD in half trying to separate them on my old shattered display. Maybe if you have a heat gun and steady hands you could manage it but personally I'd rather just buy the already glued together thing and call it a day.

So basically this is just a PSA in the hopes that no one else makes the same mistake I did. :highfive:

Edit: Figured I should probably update the OP with the correct screen since we found a good source of them: http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-htc...t-housing-and-light-guide-with-at-t-logo.html -tested and confirmed working by me and many others.

Last edited:

sinco54

May 15, 2012
portland oregon
You're a gentleman and a scholar sir. I hope I never need this but may many barrels of the finest aged scotch whiskey find its way to you..

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

Wubbz

Feb 19, 2013
Wasilla, AK
this very good info thanks, i think i saw on youtube someone using a blow dryer to heat up the glue on the LCD and glass digitizer to peel it off easyer

Koizuma

Account currently disabled
Jun 6, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 9
I guess this is a crappy year for phones for me, my original grey One X gets stolen and my white One X I bought to replace it has a cracked screen now, this is very good info I will have to use this when i replace the screen on mine.

Question for anyone who has bought from that ebay seller, does the new digitizer actually say HTC on the top or ATT? hoping its HTC like the pics shows, I hate carrier branding.

ThisWasATriumph

Aug 14, 2010
Detroit
Xiaomi Mi 9
I'm in Canada and I just ordered from here.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...0683311645&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=54632670708

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Be warned, that is "Seller Refurbished" not new. I would have bought one from them if it was new...

I guess this is a crappy year for phones for me, my original grey One X gets stolen and my white One X I bought to replace it has a cracked screen now, this is very good info I will have to use this when i replace the screen on mine.

Question for anyone who has bought from that ebay seller, does the new digitizer actually say HTC on the top or ATT? hoping its HTC like the pics shows, I hate carrier branding.
Most have HTC. The ATT ones are VERY rare.

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm definitely interested. My replacement AT&T labelled screen is now getting dust in the corners...its pissing me off. Might be looking into this soon (Sony screen).

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
I emailed them to ask and they said "mint like new condition." This was the only OEM screen that I found under $90.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I paid 70 for mine and it says AT&T. The seller sold both kinds of screens. I made sure my replacement one said at&t. I'll check and see if they still have any left in stock. I will say my replacement was not the Sony one if that makes a difference

boogie12

Nov 18, 2010
I found this thread and ordered a Sony screen from the ebay seller the op mentioned. Received it yesterday and verified it was a Sony panel. After installing it the color and brightness/contrast is way off. The colors are washed out and it looks like everything is too bright. So maybe not all the Sony panels are the same, or I just got a bad screen. I'm emailing the seller to see what they can do.

Last edited:

ZeRo2o9

Feb 14, 2011
Central Cali
I asked a seller and he told me that his HTC branded one he had would work on both models. Not sure if he knows or just saying that. I don't really need one but my screen has a white dot kinda like burn in from something under the LCD that has been annoying me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ThisWasATriumph

Aug 14, 2010
Detroit
Xiaomi Mi 9
I found this thread and ordered a Sony screen from the ebay seller the op mentioned. Received it yesterday and verified it was a Sony panel. After installing it the color and brightness/contrast is way off. The colors are washed out and it looks like everything is too bright. So maybe not all the Sony panels are the same, or I just got a bad screen. I'm emailing the seller to see what they can do.

That's really strange because it sounds like the exact same issue I have with my AU screen. Are you sure that the screen you removed was also a Sony?

boogie12

Nov 18, 2010
That's really strange because it sounds like the exact same issue I have with my AU screen. Are you sure that the screen you removed was also a Sony?

Yeah I double checked and my cracked screen has the yellow ribbon with the green base. I also noticed the screen doesn't fit in the lcd frame like the old one did. There's about 1mm or 2 of space at the top of the frame.

nightanole

Mar 4, 2012
Yeah I double checked and my cracked screen has the yellow ribbon with the green base. I also noticed the screen doesn't fit in the lcd frame like the old one did. There's about 1mm or 2 of space at the top of the frame.

You got an AU remarked as a sony. The clue is the ATT/XL version is 1-2mm longer than the international version. Guess we cant go by green tabs any more. I wonder if the att logo ones are knock offs. In other news ive read some people have opened their att/XL phones to find sharp green cable versions. I wonder if they rev'd the lte boarsd later to accept all panels.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may know, there are quite a few differences between the North-American/Australian and international One X models. The LCD is, unfortunately, no exception. Veterans of this forum may remember this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1639924&highlight=lcd+manufacturer which pointed out that the ATT and Rogers (still not sure about Teltra) versions have LCDs manufactured by Sony, wheres the Tegra One X has a lottery of either Acer (AUO) or Sharp displays.

Now the issue here is when attempting to find a replacement screen for our model. My One X screen met a sad end in a very unfortunate set of circumstances involving butter and concrete. I found out the hard, expensive way that an AU Optronics screen will not look right installed on our devices. My screen is all washed out with the gamma calibration very wrong and sometimes loosing all red in the RGB spectrum. While this could likely be fixed with a custom kernel, sadly I doubt flar2 wants to code one for a handful of people. (possibly just me, but I have read in a few thread about other people complaining about washed out replacement screens)

Telling the difference so you don't make the same mistake I did:
    Now ebay and many many other sites I have scoured in my quest to source the correct screen are a complete mess when it come to this. Most sellers do not specify what model LCD they are selling. It may not matter for the international version which they use. However, at least for me, using an AUO screen did not work out well. I have read in a few places that the Sharp display will work on all models but personally I do not want to risk it. Anyway here's how to tell the difference:
    UQ766-6.jpg

I found this handy picture on a seller's page. The correct Sony display has a yellow flex ribbon with a green portion on the inside bottom of the straight flex ribbon. This makes it very difficult to tell the difference between the AUO and Sony versions as pictures usually do not show the portion of the flex cable in question. I have found a few ebay sellers that specify that theirs is indeed the Sony green+yellow flex LCD (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Full-LC...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48503ac38c), but none new for a reasonable price. I have yet to find a U.S. dealer that specifies the manufacturer of the LCD they are selling. I would hope that LCDs sold in the US would be the correct model but I am hesitant to possibly make the same mistake again... Exhibit A: http://www.repairsuniverse.com/htc-one-x-lcd-touch-screen-replacement.html Although based in Nevada, God know which model they're selling. I may call them and see if they can find out for me as they seem to be a decent local seller. If anyone can find a source of Sony panels, please post it.

Now you maybe be thinking "Why not just buy the digitizer only?" Well the LCD and glass digitizer are optically bonded (read:glued together) and I ripped my LCD in half trying to separate them on my old shattered display. Maybe if you have a heat gun and steady hands you could manage it but personally I'd rather just buy the already glued together thing and call it a day.

So basically this is just a PSA in the hopes that no one else makes the same mistake I did. :highfive:

Edit: Figured I should probably update the OP with the correct screen since we found a good source of them: http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-htc...t-housing-and-light-guide-with-at-t-logo.html -tested and confirmed working by me and many others.
    I recently dropped my ATT HTC OneX 1 foot onto a rubberized floor and shattered the screen. The touch still works but the glass is broken. Is it still safe to purchase the sony screens off ebay or are those all confirmed fake? Debating whether or not to try and fix this or sell it as is :/

You dont know whats in side yours yet. It could be a sony or au or sharp. Mine was a sony, and a sharp (all green on one side) worked fine. The main trick is to:

yank battery
    install new screen
    boot unit with old screen (even if its cracked and all white)
    wait for the unit to sleep
    attach new screen
    hit the power button to activate screen (yes touch pad wont work)
    power down the unit without disconnecting the battery or screen.

This should make the phone work with just about any screen.
    There is no one panel that's installed on any One XL, you need to open the device and identity the screen by the colour of the flex cable.

Sent from my Evita
    Hello.
    Tell me where you can buy original Touch screen with a LCD for the AT & T version?
    Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Full-LC...low-Green-Flex-For-HTC-One-X-XL-/360612529957
    This "fit" in mine and didnt have the 2mm gap.

You need to buy a screen for the ATT OR HTC one XL. They both are the same case/screen.
    Yeah, worst case scenario if your phone ends up being toast (unlikely) you could resell the panel on ebay. But you should try booting the phone in Safe Mode by holding Vol-Up just after the phone vibrates after power on. If it doesn't boot loop, you can blame an app. Secondly try entering recovery mode by holding Vol-down during boot. If you have USB connected to your computer you can tell what the phone is doing via fastboot, adb, device manager etc. If the phone doesn't reboot in recovery, the hardware is probably OK.