5,606,530 Members 33,473 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.2+] Gainos Fresh Wallpapers / DayDream - Auto-changing images from Flickr

Tip us?

alinium_
Old
(Last edited by the_scotsman; 9th March 2013 at 01:49 AM.) Reason: Attaching screenshots
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Default [APP][2.2+] Gainos Fresh Wallpapers / DayDream - Auto-changing images from Flickr

OVERVIEW

When I got my Nexus 4 phone, I wanted to take full advantage of the high quality screen and set a gorgeous wallpaper on it. But I realized that no matter what wallpaper I set, I always get tired of looking at it quite quickly. What I really wanted was a new beautiful wallpaper every time I would pick up my phone. And that's why I created the app Gainos Fresh Wallpapers. It selects a random photo from Flickr's Explore stream and sets that as your wallpaper at regular intervals. I have mine set to change every hour.

APP HIGHLIGHTS
  • Images are selected at random from the 'Explore' stream at Flickr. This app is not affiliated with Flickr in any way.
  • Remembers last 10 wallpapers so you can go back and choose one you previously liked.
  • Choose to change the wallpaper as frequently as 10 minute to as slow as once every week.
  • Enable Daydream mode on JellyBean+ devices to start screensaver when device is docked.
  • Share images with your social networks.
  • Works well with tablets and phones. For high resolution displays a higher quality image is downloaded.
  • Choose to download new wallpapers only over wifi to save cellular bandwidth.
  • Minimal interface that stays out of your way. Just start the service once and forgot about the app.

HOW TO GET

OTHER

I'll really appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large_banner.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1759486   Click image for larger version

Name:	01-app_screen.jpg
Views:	1313
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1759487   Click image for larger version

Name:	02-apples.jpg
Views:	2561
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1759488   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-settings_screen.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1759489   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-interval_dialog.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1759491  

Name:	05-daydream_screen.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1759492   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-lock_screen.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1759493   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-long_press_menu.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1759494   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-share_dialog.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1759495   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-home_screen.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1759496  

Name:	xdadevelopers.png
Views:	932
Size:	783 Bytes
ID:	1759508  
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to alinium_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alinium_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Hi guys, any issues to report?

the_scotsman
Old
Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee / Haggis Muncher
Thanks Meter 8538
Location: NSW, Australia Likes: Anything alcoholic or caffeinated

DONATE TO ME
Just installed it. Interface is clean and simple, very nice!

I don't know much about Flickr, but would it be possible to choose different "genres"? Such as scenery shots, cities, beaches etc..? That would be be a fantastic addition.

Apart from that, it seems to work exactly as described! I'll see how battery life is affected over the coming days but I don't think it'll be an issue

Great work!

P.S. Check the XDA Portal in a few days
The Following User Says Thank You to the_scotsman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alinium_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
I don't know much about Flickr, but would it be possible to choose different "genres"? Such as scenery shots, cities, beaches etc..? That would be be a fantastic addition.
I'm planning on adding some functionality like this in the next update or so. It will select photos by keywords or tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
P.S. Check the XDA Portal in a few days
I'll keep an eye out
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alinium_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

the_scotsman
Old
Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee / Haggis Muncher
Thanks Meter 8538
Location: NSW, Australia Likes: Anything alcoholic or caffeinated

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinium_ View Post
Glad you liked it!

I'm planning on adding some functionality like this in the next update or so. It will select photos by keywords or tags.
Ahh excellent! I'm still using the app, looking forward to the update!

Chaoticaa
Old
(Last edited by Chaoticaa; 11th March 2013 at 07:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
First of all, thanks a lot for the app! It's a great idea. I just have a couple of requests:

Let's say I have the app refresh every 10 minutes and I leave my phone idle for an hour. It downloads all 6 wallpapers and wastes bandwidth for no reason rather than waiting for me to see the wallpaper before going to the next one. Could you change the app to prevent these useless downloads?

If I don't like a wallpaper, is there a way in the app to skip this wallpaper? Could you make a widget to skip the current wallpaper?
HTC One (stock 4.1.2 JB)
HTC One X (stock 4.1.1 JB, rooted)
Samsung Omnia 7 (7.5 Mango, interop-unlocked)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaoticaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

myhayserano
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Hello great app, a save option for saving wallpapers to phone will be great!
Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos
English is not my primary language. Sorry for all my miss tipings.

kenkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 371
The auto download on wifi only toggle is missing on the Nexus 7 with 3G (tilapia).

And it seems to get pretty low res pictures for the Nexus 7 as well, not sure if it's better on the N4 because the screen is so much smaller, and my eyes ain't perfect.

vineetjoseph
Old
Thanks Meter 1300
Default Awesome

hi alinium, awesome app bro. just downloaded. works great on my S2. Thanks and good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to vineetjoseph For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BlowingNose
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default for oficze

well this is nice

The Following User Says Thank You to BlowingNose For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]