Page 2: Changelog and Downloads
Page 3: Additional info and FAQ
Make sure you are on the latest bootloader version before flashing this or any other custom kernel. Search for a flashable zip or use fastboot and the google factory images. Fastboot method highly recommended as the safer method.
Download Kernel to internal SD card. Flash in recovery. Reboot. Congratulate yourself for wisely installing the best nexus 7 kernel.
Basic feature list:
Milestone Release 2 (mr2)
- For now just go to the Github. Honestly... I think I'm done with feature lists. PIA. I shouldn't have to justify my work. The kernel has everything you could ever need. Tada.
- A lot has changed since mr1 below...
Milestone Release 1 (mr1)
- Based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr2 for android 4.3
- compatible with all 4.3.x based ROMS
- Based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr1.1 for android 4.2.2
- compatible with all 4.2.x based ROMS
- CPU over clock up to 1.7GHz
- GPU over clock up to 700MHz
- LP core overclock to 666MHz
- Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
- CIFS, NFS, NTFS, HFS, ZRAM, and more built in.
- Switch to higher quality dithering mode for better gradient quality (error diffusion)
- Disabled KSM and compactions for performance.
- Useless debugging removed.
- FSync control (Ezekeel)
- User configurable Wifi power management mode (PMFAST/PMMAX)
- Included ramdisk with optimized mount options such as discard and noauto_da_alloc (no need for init.d scripts to enable anymore)
- Included ramdisk with optimized VM settings
- optimized compiler flags
- Latest linaro 2013 gcc toolchain
- Dynamic EDP - enable edp cpu maximum frequency limits only above a certain temperature (motley)
- Disable 100MHz max frequency decrease when more than one CPU core active
- Default CPU voltages set to ID 3 levels
- Runnable threads hot plugging
- Glibc memcpy and memmove
- Deadline improvements for solid state drives
- Force high current charging over pc USB (imoseyon)
- Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
- Fixed current_now property for current viewing apps
- Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
- Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
- Faster LP -> G transitioning
- Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
- Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
- Tweaked CFS parameters
- Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
- Block: recursive merge requests
- timer: optimize aplpy_slack()
- Disabled GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS to improve performance
- Balanced EDP frequency limits to be same across all cores
- LowMemoryKiller asynchronous compaction and compaction when killing processes
- allow use of a controller native max block size
- optimized crypto algorythms
- Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
- Better hotplugging delays
- Increase boost_up_threshold for AVP clock
- kexec-hardboot support for multirom
- minimum cpu performance loch for audio playback (faux123) with additional fixes
- decreased minimum backlight level for better low light viewing
- switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
- Added latest BFQ I/O scheduler
- Fix crash when unplugging OTG devices (intersectRaven)
- Added Tegra high performance AHB memory driver with additional fixes and improvements
- Input: Send one packet at a time
- support for ROM built-in OTG support
- Added latest ROW scheduler with additional patches and improvements
- Set Core voltage to 0.95V in Low Power mode 1 for significant semi-idle battery savings
- TCP congestion control with Westwood+ set as default
- Disabled speaker dynamic range compression for improved speaker audio quality
- Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
- LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
- Many scheduler improvements and optimizations
- A million other patches, fixes, and improvements that I don't have the time or space to list
A complete list of changes is available at my Github.
The only app supported for changing any kernel parameters and settings is TricksterMod - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...0.trickstermod
CPU governor - TouchDemand with default parameters (default)
I/O Scheduler -
- Deadline (default) for pure I/O speed. Fastest read and write speeds. May cause occasional lag during background downloading/installing
- ROW for pure read speed. Fast reads which are often the most important on mobile. Similar concerns like deadline.
- BFQ for overall smoothness. Slower than Deadline and ROW, but prevents stutters while downloading in background
Max Frequency - 1.2Ghz (Stock max for 2+ cores)
- Note: Tegra sets the max frequency to 1.5Ghz at boot, make sure to change it manually or have an app set it at boot to avoid battery loss.
- Note 2: DO NOT USE SYSTEM TUNER TO SET FREQUENCIES. CONFLICTS WITH AUDIO PERFLOCK IN KERNEL. Do NOT use system tuner to set frequencies as it conflicts with audio performance lock in this kernel. Will prevent you from lowering your maximum frequency. Use Trickstermod.
GPU Max Freq - 446Mhz (maintains good battery life while smoothing out some THD games)
- Possible frequencies -
Fsync - On
Dynamic Fsync - On (be aware of data loss concerns, even if they actually are minimal)
SmartDimmer/PRISM - Off (On for a63+)
zRAM - off/none (default) (absolutely worthless on android 4.0+ with >1GB RAM)
Data remounting - already included in ramdisk. Additional scripts not needed.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND, nor will I support, any kind of optimization/superdupercharge/placebo script. All settings are already optimized in kernel and ramdisk. Using these scripts or tweaks will only lead to problems and performance degradation.
If you'd like to buy me some caffeine so I can continue to fit studying and kernel-ing in my busy schedule, feel free to donate below. Thanks so much for all of your support! Clicking the thanks button is always appreciated too