Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 54,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0+][ROOT][1.0.13] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in music players apps

Tip us?

bubbleguuum
Old
(Last edited by bubbleguuum; 6th April 2014 at 08:09 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,388
Default [APP][4.0+][ROOT][1.0.13] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in music players apps

GMusicFS exposes cloud Google Music as a FUSE filesystem on rooted devices

EDIT 03/03/2014: v1.0.12+ has no restrictions anymore (100% free). It is not available anymore on Google Play and you can download the APK below instead.

This app is provided "as is" and may not be working properly with some ROMs and/or kernels. It is unsupported.

This app doesn't work with all kernels which explains reboots on some devices.
This app does tricky and hacky things that may not work well on all devices or unreliably.
It's even a miracle that it sort of works on current Android.

You can use it if it works on your device and find it useful, but most people should use the official Google Music app instead.

There will be no bug fixes as I stopped entirely developping it.
Maybe there will be an update if the next Android version breaks it again and there's an easy fix, but that's all you can expect at this point.

Download APK v1.0.13
Documentation
Short youtube video

The goal is to bring Google Music streaming support to most third party music players like Poweramp, PlayerPro, n7player and many more.
From the point of view of these apps, Google Music tracks will look like regular files that can be played.
I you ever wanted to play Google Music with something else than the Google Music app, that should fit the bill.

Make sure to read the Help section within the app as it contains very important usage info (especially on Android 4.2+) and music player specific initial setup.

Requirements
  • a rooted device running Android 4.0+ on ARM CPU. Root is necessary for mounting the filesystem
  • A kernel supporting FUSE filesystems (should be the case of all 4.0+ kernel)
  • SuperSU or Superuser
  • Some music uploaded to the Google Music service
  • A compatible third party music player. Tested working with Poweramp, Winamp, PlayerPro, n7player. Should work with most players using the Android MediaPlayer API or ffmpeg. Doesn't work with Deadbeef and XenoAmp.

Recording a log file

Here's how to setup logging, to troubleshoot issues.
Do not post log files on the forum or on the web as they contain your Google account name.
  • start GMusicFS
  • in the Settings tab, enable Logging (select "App" as the logging mode, unless being instructed otherwise), then click the "Exit" button to exit the app
  • restart the app and operate the app until the error appear
  • exit the app
  • send me (bubbleguuum at free.fr) the log file located on your SD Card as file Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.gmusicfs/logs/log.txt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control.jpg
Views:	24942
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1767645   Click image for larger version

Name:	pin.jpg
Views:	11262
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1970140   Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.jpg
Views:	10295
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1970141  
The Following 196 Users Say Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

h0l
Old
(Last edited by h0l; 28th February 2013 at 08:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [APP][4.0+][ROOT][BETA] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in most music players a

It looks very promising, but does not seem to work on my sensation running CM 10.1 (see screenshot)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Edit: fixed some ugly formating caused by Tapatalk
Don't have Dropbox? Click here to see why you should get it. If you like it, use this link to sign up (you get 500mb extra storage, I get 500mb extra storage. Win-Win!)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to h0l For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bubbleguuum
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,388
@hobbypunk:

Thanks for the report. I'll install CM 10.1 on one of my device to see how it goes. I'm not actually that surprised that mounting is not working on some ROMs. For now, I only tested on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 running stock rooted ROM as well as my old SGS with CM10 (4.1.2).
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Quistnix
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Default Re: [APP][4.0+][ROOT][BETA] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in most music players a

Great app, I love finally having my Google music in player pro. It's a bit of a drain on battery and ram and needs a bit more buffering, but it's great for a beta!

TheMorpheus
Old
Thanks Meter 415

DONATE TO ME
Default R: [APP][4.0+][ROOT][BETA] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in most music players ap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbypunk View Post
It looks very promising, but does not seem to work on my sensation running CM 10.1 (see screenshot)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
Same here on Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 running Cm10.1

Sent from my N8000 using Tapatalk HD
OmniRom N8000: XDA link - AFH link
OmniRom D802: AFH link
CarbonRom D802 AFH link
G+: +FrancescoTonelli
Twitter: @TheMorpheus81

cdkane
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Failed to create folder

The app gets to about the 10th album and says it is unable to create the folder on the SD card. Have tried multiple times but it always stops. Have created the named folder myself but still get the same error. On CM10.1 on Xperia ARC.

Keep up the good work though this is exactly what I am after. Get it all working and name your price

bubbleguuum
Old
(Last edited by bubbleguuum; 28th February 2013 at 01:59 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,388
@TheMorpheus, @hobbypunk:

I could somewhat reproduce this "permission denied" error. It seems to happen if the SuperSU popup asking for root is not clicked before the countdown reach 0. It is not related to a specific ROM.

There are 2 such popups displayed the very first time the app is started:

- the first one is displayed immediately on app start and ask permission for GMusicFS
- the second popup is displayed the first time the filesystem is mounted (which can happen way later, after initial sync) and ask permission for "ADB shell"

To force these 2 popups to reappear can you do this and report if it fixes the problem:

- exit GMusicFS if it is started (cross button on top)
- launch the SuperSU app and remove both GMusicFS and "ADB shell" from the apps list (long-click on app and "Forget").
- Restart GMusicFS. It will show the first popup (on app start) and the second permission popup (during mounting). Answer "Grant" to both before the countdown reach 0.

bubbleguuum
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkane View Post
The app gets to about the 10th album and says it is unable to create the folder on the SD card. Have tried multiple times but it always stops. Have created the named folder myself but still get the same error. On CM10.1 on Xperia ARC.

Keep up the good work though this is exactly what I am after. Get it all working and name your price
Thank you for the report. Can you record and send me a log file (bubbleguuum at free.fr):

- start GMusicFS
- in the Settings tab, enable Logging (select "App" as the loggin mode), then click the "Exit" button to exit the app
- restart the app and operate the app until the error appear
- exit the app
- send me the log file located on your SD Card as file Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.gmusicfs/logs/log.txt

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nitroz
Old
Thanks Meter 1,866

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleguuum View Post
@TheMorpheus, @hobbypunk:

I could somewhat reproduce this "permission denied" error. It seems to happen if the SuperSU popup asking for root is not clicked before the countdown reach 0. It is not related to a specific ROM.

There are 2 such popups displayed the very first time the app is started:

- the first one is displayed immediately on app start and ask permission for GMusicFS
- the second popup is displayed the first time the filesystem is mounted (which can happen way later, after initial sync) and ask permission for "ADB shell"

To force these 2 popups to reappear can you do this and report if it fixes the problem:

- exit GMusicFS if it is started (cross button on top)
- launch the SuperSU app and remove both GMusicFS and "ADB shell" from the apps list (long-click on app and "Forget").
- Restart GMusicFS. It will show the first popup (on app start) and the second permission popup (during mounting). Answer "Grant" to both before the countdown reach 0.
I still can't see a second popup asking for access to ADB shell, synced well over 10 minutes ago. Exited app, got SuperSU to forget app, did it again, first popup appeared straight away, granted it, but still no second popup.
-Phone-HTC One/Galaxy S4 - i9505
-ROM-TrickDroid/Stock Deodexed
-Theme-Stock/Stock...for now

My Work
-Black Exodus (Theme Chooser)
-Ash (Theme Chooser)
-Graze (Work in Progress)
-Gingerbread Theme (Port)

bubbleguuum
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
I still can't see a second popup asking for access to ADB shell, synced well over 10 minutes ago. Exited app, got SuperSU to forget app, did it again, first popup appeared straight away, granted it, but still no second popup.
In the SuperSU apps list, is there an entry titled "ADB shell" ?
Btw make sure to update to the latest version of SuperSU, just in case.