[INFO] Motorola MotoACTV Root/Rom/Info Thread

1st March 2013, 12:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis
Thanks Meter: 1,229

3,006 posts
Donate to Me
More
I figured since there is finally a place to post this, I will do so here. There is currently ongoing development for the Motorola MotoACTV smart watch. It began simply as a fitness watch, but has evolved with root, recovery, and roms into the best android watch available.

AND IT CAME OUT IN NOVEMBER OF 2011.

Interesting, yes? Let me get you some details from our current wiki (http://motoactv.wikispaces.com/home, started from the members right here on xda):

Code:
Hardware Specs:

Processor: 600MHz OMAP3 (3630) ARMv7 CPU supporting ARM architecture:
     - thumb, vfp, vfpv3, edsp & neon. (overclockable to 1Ghz currently)
    256MB of RAM and 8GB of NAND Flash Memory (Or 16 GB)
    Wifi 802.11B/G/N
    Bluetooth 4.0 (low-power mode)
    ANT+ for connectivity to fitness sensors (heart rate, etc.)
    FM Tuner (with Radio Data System for station & song identification)
    PowerVR GPU
    1.6" 220x176 capacitive multitouch LCD display
    5 hardware buttons on the side:
     - (Start, Music, Volume +, Volume -, Standby/Power)
    1 additional capacitive button on the front for 'back button'.
    Ambient light sensor
    White charging and notification LEDs
    Accelerometer
    GPS
So now that you're intrigued, let me give you some resources to get you started!

Main XDA Thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399692

Root Tool and Image Flasher:
MAKE SURE YOU CHARGE TO 100% BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS!!!
http://www.cleardroidroms.com/motoactv.php
I MEAN IT!!! CHARGE TO 100% BEFORE DOING ANY FLASHING!!!

Overclocking:
Dproldan's Overclock - Easy windows installer in this post

Roms:
ClearDroid MotoACTV
DPRom for MotoACTV
ReACTV Rom
RunKeeperACTV for MotoACTV
FreeFly ROM
CEnnis91's stock roms/AnyRoot

Custom Watch Faces:
Custom Watch Faces Thread

Bluetooth PAN Tethering Instructions (Internet via Bluetooth from Phone to Watch)
Saeviomage's Tutorial

MotoACTV TCX Exporter:
SuperDave's MotoACTV TCX data exporter thread

Known working apps
Known working apps thread

IF YOU DIDN'T LISTEN AND ARE NOW "LOW BATTERY" AND CANNOT FLASH:
First thing's first. It will probably still charge on the wall charger or a car charger. Try that first. But, if it won't...
(or if you're just an avid flasher,) I'd also recommend you get one of these to help you out of jams: Motorola Factory Cable. The one at that link from Team Black Hat is typically out of stock, but a search of the words "Motorola Factory Fastboot Cable" on eBay can get you one for between $5-8. This cable does not charge your unit and does not come with the MotoACTV.

Any questions? Please post below. And GET YOUR ACTV ON!
Last edited by ClearD; 10th July 2013 at 10:12 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ClearD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2013, 04:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag mumbai
Thanks Meter: 79

293 posts
More
Re: Motorola MotoACTV
What's the cost?

Sent from my MT11i using xda app-developers app
1st March 2013, 05:26 AM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis

3,006 posts
Donate to Me
More
Mine brand new when they first came out was $249 for the 8g, but substantially lower now, I'm sure.

Sent using XDA-funded carrier pigeons
The Following User Says Thank You to ClearD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2013, 07:13 PM   |  #4  
Flag Rhode Island
Thanks Meter: 7

35 posts
More
I just bought one as well but it still cost me $240 on amazon.
1st March 2013, 07:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis

3,006 posts
Donate to Me
More
eBay is always good.

Sent using XDA-funded carrier pigeons

Update: just checked, they're going for $50-200 on ebay, lots are on there for sale.

Also, I will be updating the first post of this thread with any info/links that you guys need. We would love for more development of this device, since we've been doing it for months/years now.
Last edited by ClearD; 1st March 2013 at 11:29 PM.
3rd March 2013, 10:15 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

36 posts
Wow this seems great! Youtube and a browser. I recently bought myself the Sony Smart Watch, and I was not too impressed with the battery life time, how is this ones?
I also managed to ruin my SmartWatch, but I'm gonna get it refunded from the store I'll probably get this from eBay! Is there any bugs/problems I should know about from the Motorola watch?
4th March 2013, 03:19 PM   |  #7  
Flag Rhode Island
Thanks Meter: 7

35 posts
More
I get mine tomorrow, and my only concern/question is how well this handles Bluetooth tethering. I use FoxFi and PDAnet with phone and tablet and i'm hoping I can use the same with the motoactv.
4th March 2013, 09:46 PM   |  #8  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis

3,006 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakmalmo

Wow this seems great! Youtube and a browser. I recently bought myself the Sony Smart Watch, and I was not too impressed with the battery life time, how is this ones?
I also managed to ruin my SmartWatch, but I'm gonna get it refunded from the store I'll probably get this from eBay! Is there any bugs/problems I should know about from the Motorola watch?

Not really. Battery life for me is around a week, sometimes more if I turn it off at night. I don't leave bluetooth or wifi on unless I need them though, and keep the brightness around half. I also turned off the shake-to-wake feature, as my watch was turning on when I was just walking around and using up battery life with the screen on lol.

But, for such a tiny battery, a week is pretty good in my opinion. Either way, you can just charge it every night if you're a heavy user. Keep in mind, this isn't like those other "smart watches" that only issue notifications, this is a full blown android device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joescan

I get mine tomorrow, and my only concern/question is how well this handles Bluetooth tethering. I use FoxFi and PDAnet with phone and tablet and i'm hoping I can use the same with the motoactv.

I know Nook Tether works on it for bluetooth tethering (internet pass through) I believe, but I'm not sure about the others. I've heard of PDAnet also, it might have been another that worked. I don't tether mine though, so I'm not sure.

The only thing I want different is the watch strap, and an XDA user is actually working on a better one right now. I can't wait!
Last edited by ClearD; 4th March 2013 at 10:52 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClearD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2013, 09:07 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 4

36 posts
Quote:

Not really. Battery life for me is around a week, sometimes more if I turn it off at night. I don't leave bluetooth or wifi on unless I need them though, and keep the brightness around half. I also turned off the shake-to-wake feature, as my watch was turning on when I was just walking around and using up battery life with the screen on lol.

But, for such a tiny battery, a week is pretty good in my opinion. Either way, you can just charge it every night if you're a heavy user. Keep in mind, this isn't like those other "smart watches" that only issue notifications, this is a full blown android device.

I'm leading an auction on eBay at the moment. The "Buy Now" alternatives is too expensive with shipping to Norway :/
A week battery time sounds good to me I had to charge my SmartWatch every day, and that wasn't a problem.
How's the Firefox browser and YouTube app working on the watch?
Last edited by Jakmalmo; 5th March 2013 at 09:18 PM.
5th March 2013, 10:33 PM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis

3,006 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakmalmo

I'm leading an auction on eBay at the moment. The "Buy Now" alternatives is too expensive with shipping to Norway :/
A week battery time sounds good to me I had to charge my SmartWatch every day, and that wasn't a problem.
How's the Firefox browser and YouTube app working on the watch?

Youtube works great, not sure about Firefox though. I think some people used Boat browser or something and had fine results with it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
actv, f100, motoactv, motorola, root
Previous Thread Next Thread