T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

[ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [03/01: Audio fix]

OP Hashcode

1st March 2013, 04:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 22,445

3,232 posts
Donate to Me
More
** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Droid 3 and see for yourself.

Instructions:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android (or just keep it on a different slot). This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Droid 3 Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
[03/01] http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/solana/ubuntu-phablet/ (use the newest one)

3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...blet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...alled/current/

4. Reboot into Safestrap. Create a NEW 2GB ROM in the #4 slot.

IMPORTANT:
4a. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

FIRST BOOT TAKES A LONG TIME. AND THERE'S NO BOOT ANIMATION. BE PATIENT (MAYBE 3-4 MINUTES).

WHAT WORKS:
  • Display
  • Touch screen
  • Wifi
  • Audio

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
  • Due to memory issues, the device gets VERY laggy after just a little while of use. This means the swap mem is full. I hope they work on the amount of memory used and how it's freed over time.
  • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
(Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lockscreen.jpg
Views:	2488
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1770047   Click image for larger version

Name:	menubar.jpg
Views:	1794
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1770048   Click image for larger version

Name:	home.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1770049   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone.jpg
Views:	1445
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1770050  
Last edited by Hashcode; 1st March 2013 at 10:30 PM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2013, 08:46 AM   |  #2  
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 314

1,457 posts
More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/28: Alpha Update #1]
Neat. I had to battery pull to get it to boot, bootlooped until I did. It feels like unity, for my phone. It'll be interesting to see how it performs on our device when it's complete

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium
1st March 2013, 10:30 AM   |  #3  
Flag Lucca
Thanks Meter: 22

71 posts
More
Fine!, downloading and booting in moments! i was wondering about this in the forums, some days ago! Hash, you're the best!

Glad to see an alternative for our devices...who knows...maybe this could lead to a fully functional rom...

EDIT: Sadly, it doesn't boot at all...same issues as latest CM10.1, but after a while of black lit screen, the phone turns off...trying later something else
Last edited by FrankieDedo; 1st March 2013 at 11:21 AM.
1st March 2013, 03:50 PM   |  #4  
Flag Surrey

1,457 posts
More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/28: Alpha Update #1]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDedo

Fine!, downloading and booting in moments! i was wondering about this in the forums, some days ago! Hash, you're the best!

Glad to see an alternative for our devices...who knows...maybe this could lead to a fully functional rom...

EDIT: Sadly, it doesn't boot at all...same issues as latest CM10.1, but after a while of black lit screen, the phone turns off...trying later something else

I had the same until I battery pulled

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium
1st March 2013, 04:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

56 posts
Looks pretty cool. I think I could get used to that interface pretty quickly. I did have a little trouble getting back into SafeStrap to boot into the stock ROM (or CM10.1 in slot1).

I used both the power button and battery pull to restart, I got the SafeStrap menu, chose boot to recovery, and in a few minutes I get the Ubuntu screen back. I finally got into SafeStrap by holding VolUp & VolDown while powering on and choosing BP Tools (bottom option).
The Following User Says Thank You to djbolden For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2013, 06:28 PM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Developer

3,232 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'll have to go back through the flash process and test a few things. Sorry that it's messing w/ some of your devices.
2nd March 2013, 04:36 AM   |  #7  
Flag Utica, NY
Thanks Meter: 78

120 posts
More
3/1/13 Build worked fine for me but I do have one of the older CPU's since all the kexec builds have worked for me, first boot time was only like 20 seconds and it still worked pretty quickly (but I only used it for about 10 minutes), seeing something different was refreshing and it took me about a minute to realize there was no lockscreen, most definitely a developer preview but it looks promising.Thanks Hashcode for the preview build and all the work you do, I'll keep testing them when they come out.

oh yeah the safestrap problem persisted for me as well had to hold the volume buttons to get back to Rom selection. No biggie
2nd March 2013, 11:43 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 24

19 posts
Hi

I tried phablet-20130301-cm_solana.zip and it worked better than I expected, I could even make calls.
The experience is quite nice and it seems Ubuntu Phone OS is very promising!

Thanks
2nd March 2013, 04:47 PM   |  #9  
OP Recognized Developer

3,232 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [03/01: Audio fix]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taksan

Hi

I tried phablet-20130301-cm_solana.zip and it worked better than I expected, I could even make calls.
The experience is quite nice and it seems Ubuntu Phone OS is very promising!

Thanks

Are you on GSM?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
2nd March 2013, 05:12 PM   |  #10  
Flag Surrey

1,457 posts
More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [03/01: Audio fix]
I didn't even try calling. I didn't expect it to work

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread