Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] PROPERLY calibrate your PEN and fix those stupid corners (273 test points)

Tip us?

voluptuary
Old
(Last edited by voluptuary; 1st March 2013 at 07:59 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744

DONATE TO ME
Info 2 [HOW TO] PROPERLY calibrate your PEN and fix those stupid corners (273 test points)

Ok, so after a long time of trying to get my pen calibrated so that it wouldn't go all crazy in the corners and then not be off by a 5mm everywhere else I dug around the vast interwebs and with a little hex editing found the answer.

It has been posted in other places that you can use tabcal to calibrate you touch/pen input with more test points for better accuracy... however since our wonderful device has BOTH touch and pen inputs, the parameters everyone is using to manually calibrate using tabcal directly are wrong and as such many people have had issues with their touch input going all crazy after trying to calibrate their pen in this manner or the calibration simply wouldn't do anything. After messing around with settings all day I noticed if you use the calibration tool via the control panel it asks you what you want to calibrate, 'PEN' or 'TOUCH' before it starts tabcal, meaning there must be some parameter that is being passed to tabcal when you make this selection. So I opened up a cmd prompt and typed tabcal /? and was greated with a big fat nothing. Knowing that tabcal had switches since I had already been using some I decided to open tabcal with a hex editor to get a better look and thats when I found it: "devicekind=" so without further babbling from me......

HOW TO PROPERLY CONFIGURE YOUR PEN:

!First reset all of your current calibration data for both pen and touch! Now double check that your resolution is set to the native 1920 x 1080. Then copy and paste the following either in a run box or a cmd prompt:

Code:
tabcal devicekind=pen lincal novalidate XGridPts=10,60,110,160,260,360,460,560,660,810,960,1110,1260,1360,1460,1560,1660,1760,1810,1860,1910 YGridPts=10,60,110,160,250,400,540,680,830,920,970,1020,1070
Then go through the process selecting the crosshairs holding your pen and tablet the way you would normally/comfortably hold them, it is very important that you do it that way and also that you are physically accurate (disregard the onscreen indicator of the pen location) as this is how Windows determines what a regular press in that sector of your screen is.

Now after you have gone through all 273 input points you will need to edit your registry just a little should you ever want/need to reset the calibration data via the control panel reset thingy. To make this small fix go to the following in your registry:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HID\VID_045E&PID_0799&MI_01&Col01\8&11540d24&0&0000\Device Parameters]
The "VID_045E&PID_0799&MI_01&Col01\8&11540d24&0&00 00" part may be different on your device so to find it you can search for "LinearityData" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\E num" then once you find "LinearityData" rename it to "UserLinearityData" now later on if you want to you can reset the calibration to factory settings should you ever want to do such a thing.

As always, if this helped you please hit the 'Thanks' button
My contributions:
Clean ROM for Samsung Focus v1.3, Nokia Lumia 800, and HTC HD2
Samsung Interop Unlock & Internet Sharing All-In-One for Windows Phone
Samsung Custom Theme & Accent Colors for Windows Phone
List of Windows Phone Unlocks by Type/OEM

Allstars that donated: RonV42, dark.angel

CURRENT DEVICES: HTC HD2, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia N9, Apple iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 920

Get a FREE 2GB Dropbox account plus we'll get a bonus 500MB!
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to voluptuary For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kraize
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Jesus christ 273 points lol. I did this with a 100 and thought that was painstaking, but the thing is, if you open the calibration through cmd, it detects your hand as well as the pen. Or that could've just been a fluke when I did it. I'll try again since I exchanged my unit.
Current:

Nexus 5: Paranoid Android

Former:

Samsung Blackjack > AT&T Tilt > HTC Fuze > HTC Touch HD > HTC HD2 > Motorola Atrix > Samsung Galaxy Note > HTC One
The Following User Says Thank You to Kraize For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

voluptuary
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraize View Post
Jesus christ 273 points lol. I did this with a 100 and thought that was painstaking, but the thing is, if you open the calibration through cmd, it detects your hand as well as the pen. Or that could've just been a fluke when I did it. I'll try again since I exchanged my unit.
This knows that you are calibrating the pen and if you touch the screen it will prompt you that an alternate input type has been detected, however if the pen is close enough to the screen touch input is ignored anyways.

Also, I just tweaked the input test points to focus a little more on corner accuracy, it still has 273 test points though.
My contributions:
Clean ROM for Samsung Focus v1.3, Nokia Lumia 800, and HTC HD2
Samsung Interop Unlock & Internet Sharing All-In-One for Windows Phone
Samsung Custom Theme & Accent Colors for Windows Phone
List of Windows Phone Unlocks by Type/OEM

Allstars that donated: RonV42, dark.angel

CURRENT DEVICES: HTC HD2, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia N9, Apple iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 920

Get a FREE 2GB Dropbox account plus we'll get a bonus 500MB!
The Following User Says Thank You to voluptuary For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kraize
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Thank you, it worked out much better than the 100 point calibration because that one detected finger touches as well.
Current:

Nexus 5: Paranoid Android

Former:

Samsung Blackjack > AT&T Tilt > HTC Fuze > HTC Touch HD > HTC HD2 > Motorola Atrix > Samsung Galaxy Note > HTC One
The Following User Says Thank You to Kraize For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bountygiver
Old
(Last edited by bountygiver; 9th March 2013 at 06:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 26
The best calibration method found. Although the top left corner is still inaccruate, at least it fixed the other 3 corners, Since programs rarely require cursor near the tiny top left corner area where it is affected, I think I can live with it.

UPDATE:
I calibrate again, but I align the pen completely perpendicular to the screen when calibrating the top left corner, now the top left is more accurate, especially if I align my pen, it will be very accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to bountygiver For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

californiarailroader
Old
Thanks Meter 437
Location: Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraize View Post
Wait, when did the Lord come in here?
The Following User Says Thank You to californiarailroader For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Trig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 79

DONATE TO ME
I've been here a while..
Nokia N920, Surface Pro3 i7 8Gb 256Gb..

*PM ONLY PLEASE*
Microsoft Surface Recovery Collector
RT, Surface 2, Pro, Pro 2, Pro 3.
Images on UK FTP server (20Mb)
The Following User Says Thank You to Trig0r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krillik08
Old
Thanks Meter 1
this doesnt seem to work. it only does 4 points for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to krillik08 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bijju
Old
(Last edited by bijju; 19th May 2013 at 01:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
it is giving me an error. please see the attachment.

i did clicked on reset button, before running the cmd

i don't know if this could be the reason, I installed wacom latest drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.PNG
Views:	2061
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1973263  
LG G2 AT&T - White - My First Official Android Phone
I am done with apple sh!t

californiarailroader
Old
Thanks Meter 437
Location: Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig0r View Post
I've been here a while..
Howdy!

Tags
calibration, digitizer, pen, pro, surface