OP Dees_Troy

1st March 2013, 08:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag KC MO
Thanks Meter: 9,474

1,602 posts
Donate to Me
More
Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.8.0.1:
-Fix a bug that causes weird graphics glitches and touch issues

CHANGELOG for 2.8.0.0:
-Add MTP support to recovery thanks mostly to bigbiff with a little help from Dees_Troy
-Add command line capabilities - you can now execute various TWRP features via adb instead of the touchscreen
-Add support for color in the console and give error, warning, and highlight lines different colors
-Track backup and restore progress based on file sizes to provide a much more accurate indication of progress
-Improve handling of /misc thanks to mdmower
-Improve setting of time on Qualcomm devices thanks to [NUT]
-Allow using images on slidervalue GUI objects thanks to Tassadar
-Allow using variables and addition and subtraction in variables for easier theming
-Add support for 1440x2560, 280x280, and 320x320 resolutions and update 240x240
-Allow ui.xml file to include additional xml files to help break up the theme and make TWRP easier to maintain
-Other minor fixes and improvements

Over the course of the last year or so, bigbiff has worked to migrate various Java functions from Android's MTP implementation to bring you a fully C++ based MTP implementation that allows you to transfer files to both emulated storage and Micro SD cards. It's confirmed to work on various Nexus devices but we may have to make some changes on other devices to keep Windows happy. Windows is very picky about USB IDs and its drivers. We have tested it on Windows 7 and 8 as well as Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty. MTP is enabled by default, but we do toggle it off and on automatically during certain operations such as if you choose to wipe a storage partition. You can enable or disable MTP under the mount menu in TWRP. For more about what MTP is here.

Note: Due to a weird bug with our MTP setup, you cannot copy a zip file to the root of storage with Windows. You can change the .zip to something else like .txt and then copy it to the root and rename the file back to .zip once it's copied to the device. You can also copy the zip into any subfolder.

Command line support is also now available. You can perform various OpenRecoveryScript commands via the adb shell. Depending on what you are doing you may wish to do a "twrp set tw_mtp_enabled 0" and then reboot to prevent the MTP auto toggle from killing your adb interface. You can use this option to create and restore backups, wipe, install zips, and more. Via adb shell, type twrp followed by a space then enter the OpenRecoveryScript command and hit enter. Find more OpenRecoveryScript commands here.

CHANGELOG for 2.7.1.0:
-Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
-Various bugfixes to backup and restore
-Improvements to USB storage handling
-Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
-Various other bugfixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.7.0.0:
-Faster graphics rendering by disabling alpha blending on fully opaque objects thanks to Tassadar
-Allow sideloading from /tmp on encrypted devices
-Check for a crypto footer before asking for a password to prevent user confusion
-Additional checks for validity to auto generated backup names
-Text wrap in the console output
-Proper caps lock support in the keyboard
-Mouse support via USB OTG for devices with a broken digitizer
-Improve scanning of storage locations for OpenRecoveryScript
-Haptic feedback for buttons, keyboard, and vibration at the end of longer running actions thanks to Samer Diab
-Fixed ext4 wiping when no selinux contexts are defined for that partition (e.g. sd-ext)
-Update SuperSU to 1.93 and improve installation process
-Added selinux contexts restoration to fix permissions
-Load RTC offset on Qualcomm devices to fix the date/time in recovery
-USB Mass Storage fixes Add SELinux support checking
-Add Disk Usage class to better handle excluded folders (e.g. Google Music cache)
-Add 4.4 decrypt support
-Add some toolbox utilities to TWRP (namely to support SELinux functions not supported in busybox)
-Various SELinux fixes and bug fixes

Note: 2.7 marks the first time that we are dropping support for older devices. We are doing this because of the SELinux support needed to install 4.4 Kit Kat ROMs. The non-TWRP parts of the recovery image have to be built in at least a 4.1 tree and the kernel that is included in the recovery image has to support writing SELinux contexts. We don't own most of the devices that we support so we depend on outside testers and developers to help us update devices. In many cases we can't find someone readily. Come to #twrp on Freenode if you want to help bring your device up to date. You can tell right away if your device will support 4.4 ROMs in 2.7. Boot TWRP and press the console button (the square-ish button either in the bottom middle or upper right) to view the console output. If it doesn't say "Full SELinux support" in the console, then your device still needs some work. Help us help you.

DOWNLOAD:
Most devices can be updated quickly and easily with the TWRP Manager app:
Play Store Link
1) Install TWRP Manager from the Play Store
2) Open TWRP Manager and provide root permissions
3) Hit Advanced->Install Recovery
4) Verify the correct device name on your screen then press Install Recovery if the correct device is showing
OR:
You can find more information and download links on our website!

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
Last edited by Dees_Troy; 12th September 2014 at 09:15 PM.
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to Dees_Troy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2013, 08:20 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag KC MO
Thanks Meter: 9,474

1,602 posts
Donate to Me
More
More information:

Most Xperia S kernels are probably including CWM by default in the boot image. About a month ago I submitted some changes to the CyanogenMod repos that were accepted. Newer builds of CM include a special extract_elf_ramdisk utility that I wrote to read and extract a recovery ramdisk from the FOTAKernel partition instead of using the ramdisk that is included in the boot image. If the ramdisk in the FOTAKernel partition is a stock Sony ramdisk or not present, then the existing ramdisk in the boot image is used instead. This setup allows users to choose which recovery they want to keep installed. This same setup is possible in other kernels including stock Sony kernels. On our website's download link you will find a copy of a recent stock ICS kernel for the Xperia S that includes TWRP as well as the extract_elf_ramdisk utility.

If the kernel you have installed doesn't support this extract_elf_ramdisk setup, then you won't be able to use the GooManager installed copy of TWRP. Bug your kernel or ROM developer and ask them to update their images so that you can choose what recovery you want.

What is the FOTAKernel partition?

The FOTAKernel partition is used by Sony to do FOTA updates when updating the boot image. Unlocked devices can't take Sony FOTA updates so using this partition for storing the recovery ramdisk seems like a good idea. Unlocked users aren't able to use this partition anyway and the FOTAKernel partition is effectively the "recovery" partition on Sony devices.
Last edited by Dees_Troy; 1st March 2013 at 08:24 PM.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Dees_Troy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 12:10 AM   |  #3  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 20

116 posts
More
Thanks a lot but from your site can we get only 2.4.0.0. And it's for the oldest rom kernel (.452). Can you please update the ramdisk and modem for the our Xperia S?
Last edited by eScapeeXc; 2nd March 2013 at 12:16 AM.
2nd March 2013, 12:52 AM   |  #4  
Flag Ho Chi Minh
Thanks Meter: 3

92 posts
More
anychange for locked BL?
2nd March 2013, 03:31 AM   |  #5  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 55

543 posts
More
Advance Stock Kernel 17 comes with CWM.
How Can I install this over CMW?
2nd March 2013, 10:14 AM   |  #6  
Flag Leuven
Thanks Meter: 400

718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eScapeeXc

Thanks a lot but from your site can we get only 2.4.0.0. And it's for the oldest rom kernel (.452). Can you please update the ramdisk and modem for the our Xperia S?

You should take a look at the "Download - FOTAKernel Image" header. There's no need to install that stock kernel, you can also just push the recovery. The way described on the website requires you use Terminal Emulator but there's an easier way. (I also don't really understand which is the right version because there is 2.4.3.0 for nozomi and 2.4.3.0 for LT26i and afaik that's the same device).

Just install GooManager on your phone, select "Flash ROMs" and there should be a message asking if you have a custom recovery. Select to install one and the latest version of TWRP will be installed.

I'm using Stock+ kernel, that already had TWRP 2.4.1 recovery, after doing this with GooManager I have TWRP 2.4.3.0. If you're using any of the other .55 kernels it should be work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkidvn

anychange for locked BL?

No idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerm

Advance Stock Kernel 17 comes with CWM.
How Can I install this over CMW?

That's basically the same question eScapeeXc asked so the answer is the same .
2nd March 2013, 11:54 AM   |  #7  
Flag kumbakonam, TamilNadu
Thanks Meter: 35

228 posts
More
Re: [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.4.3.0 touch recovery [2013-03-01]
Is it works on locked bootloader?

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app
2nd March 2013, 07:51 PM   |  #8  
Flag Wertheim
Thanks Meter: 291

590 posts
More
Will:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11

remove the recovery?

Is there a way to choose between the recovery from the kernel and this one on fota while booting?

How many space has the fota partition on our device?
Last edited by Apology11; 7th May 2013 at 12:31 PM.
2nd March 2013, 10:44 PM   |  #9  
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 309

294 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by algates

Is it works on locked bootloader?

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

It needs a modified ramdisk. So it will not work.
The Following User Says Thank You to mericon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 07:32 AM   |  #10  
Sweden
Thanks Meter: 5

38 posts
Sv: [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.4.3.0 touch recovery [2013-03-01]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dees_Troy

More information:

Most Xperia S kernels are probably including CWM by default in the boot image. About a month ago I submitted some changes to the CyanogenMod repos that were accepted. Newer builds of CM include a special extract_elf_ramdisk utility that I wrote to read and extract a recovery ramdisk from the FOTAKernel partition instead of using the ramdisk that is included in the boot image. If the ramdisk in the FOTAKernel partition is a stock Sony ramdisk or not present, then the existing ramdisk in the boot image is used instead. This setup allows users to choose which recovery they want to keep installed. This same setup is possible in other kernels including stock Sony kernels. On our website's download link you will find a copy of a recent stock ICS kernel for the Xperia S that includes TWRP as well as the extract_elf_ramdisk utility.

If the kernel you have installed doesn't support this extract_elf_ramdisk setup, then you won't be able to use the GooManager installed copy of TWRP. Bug your kernel or ROM developer and ask them to update their images so that you can choose what recovery you want.

What is the FOTAKernel partition?

The FOTAKernel partition is used by Sony to do FOTA updates when updating the boot image. Unlocked devices can't take Sony FOTA updates so using this partition for storing the recovery ramdisk seems like a good idea. Unlocked users aren't able to use this partition anyway and the FOTAKernel partition is effectively the "recovery" partition on Sony devices.

Does this mean that flashing TWRP on Xperia S, this way, will prevent it from being overwritten every time a new kernel is flashed?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread