Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[APP][2.1+] Notify Me! (notifications on the lock screen) v1.9.1 16.12.13 [GPL]

OP TpmKranz

2nd March 2013, 05:59 PM   |  #1  
TpmKranz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 338
 
171 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Donate to Me
More
Notify Me!
v1.9.1 16.12.2013

Did you ever look at an iOS device as it got a notification? Have you ever noticed that the screen lights up and that the notification can be displayed on the lock screen and thought that you would love to see that happen on your Android™ device? Well, I did and thus created this app - my first complete Android™ app.
It lets you create a list of apps that are allowed to light the screen up and show their notifications on it as a popup in front of your lock screen. You may restrict the creation of the notification popups per app and decide to only show notifications that contain keywords of your choice. Everything that it takes for it to work is its activation as an AccessibilityService.
But enough words are spoken now, here are some screenshots for you:
  • Main screen
  • App's settings
  • Add app screen
  • And an actual notification

If you think that this is what you want to use, grab the latest release here or via the QR-code below - it's free (as in "free beer").

If you want to have a look at the source code, you can do this at Google Code, because this software is also free software (yes, "free" as in "freedom"), released under the GPLv3.


Oh yeah, as some (or most?) of you seem to highly appreciate that software doesn't contain ads, here comes the best thing for you: this app is ad free - on the one hand because I don't know how to incorporate ads in an app (and am way too less interested in doing so to find out how to achieve this) and on the other hand because I do this as a hobby and mostly for myself, I'm not out for making money with it. If you feel like this deserves a reward of some kind, there is a donate button, but
I would highly appreciate if someone could come up with an icon that I can use for this app, as I'm not much of a graphics guy and I've no idea for an icon myself.

Questions left? Just give it a try and I'm sure they will be answered. If not: this is a forum, leave your questions here, I'll do my best to answer them. Bug reports, ideas for the future and an icon are also welcome.
Until then, enjoy! Yours TpmKranz.

Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
Last edited by TpmKranz; 21st December 2013 at 11:01 AM.
The Following 245 Users Say Thank You to TpmKranz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 06:00 PM   |  #2  
TpmKranz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 338
 
171 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Additional information
Changelog:
  • v1:
    Initial release.
  • v1.1:
    If you want to view a notification, you no longer have to unlock the screen manually (unless you have a secure lock screen, of course).
    I removed logcat messages that were forgotten in the last release, including one that could infringe your privacy, so you better update.
  • v1.2:
    Notification popups should be fixed now, they also resemble the actual notifications more.
  • v1.3:
    Added ability to use a slider to interact with the notification popup. This is not completely mature, yet. It is usable and I didn't encounter any bugs, but it doesn't look very good at the moment.
    Lowered minimum SDK version to 7 (runs on Android 2.1 now).
  • v1.4:
    Made slider background customizable (defaults to 0xffffff on Android < 3, 0x181818 otherwise).
    App picker is now sorted alphabetically.
  • v1.5:
    Added ability to control if a notification lights up the display.
    Added ability to default to an expanded view of a notification.
    Squashed some bugs.
  • v1.6:
    Added option for aggressive popups.
    Added custom screen timeout for popups.
    Reduced frequency of app list reloads.
    Merged NotificationActivities (should have fixed bugs).
    Added icon!!! Thanks to XDA Senior Member thesparky007!
  • v1.7
    Increased frequency of checks for a working accessibility service.
    Added localizations for German, Spanish (thanks, XDA Senior Member alejobog), Polish (thanks, XDA Senior Member trurl3) and Chinese (thanks, XDA Junior Member zxc123coke).
    Changed icon, thank you XDA Junior Member taylorcoffelt!
  • v1.8
    Added option to lock popup's orientation (locked by default).
    Added option to allow Notify Me! to work during a call.
    Added blacklist/whitelist switch to keyword filter.
    Fixed some force closes.
    Optimized keyword filtering.
    Removed obsolete translations (Chinese, Polish, Spanish).
    Added new translation (Italian).
  • v1.9
    (Hopefully) fixed AccessibilityService (except the speech output, that's Samsung’s thing)!
    Fixed bugs (especially on ICS).
    Optimized aggressive popups and orientation locking.
    Re-added Spanish, Polish and Chinese translations.
    Added Turkish translation.
  • v1.9.1
    Fixed 'missing slider interface and app lock-up' bug.
Last edited by TpmKranz; 21st December 2013 at 10:58 AM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to TpmKranz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 06:16 PM   |  #3  
ZordanKV's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 853
 
497 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Just tested it, looking good!

Must have app!

Only "problem" that I saw was not unlocking phone after tapping "View" on popup.
And is it possible to hide text from buttons seen on this screen http://i.imgur.com/anWg7Yx.png ? It is large and most of it can't be seen.
Last edited by ZordanKV; 15th March 2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Fixed all :)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZordanKV For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 06:29 PM   |  #4  
TpmKranz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 338
 
171 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZordanKV

Just tested it, looking good!

Only "problem" that I saw was not unlocking phone after tapping "View" on popup.
And is it possible to hide text from buttons seen on this screen http://i.imgur.com/anWg7Yx.png ? It is large and most of it can't be seen.

I already have an idea how to implement an unlock feature - give me some minutes and v1.1 could have it.
I don't think it would be possible to remove the text from the buttons, or at least it would be quite complicated and unreliable, as it's actually just the notification's View put in a Dialog and there is a high degree of freedom for developers to create an expanded notification's View - long story short: I don't think it's possible to exactly locate the button's Views and empty the text there, but I could give it a try, eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to TpmKranz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 10:32 AM   |  #5  
TpmKranz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 338
 
171 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TpmKranz

I already have an idea how to implement an unlock feature - give me some minutes and v1.1 could have it.
[...]

Version 1.1 is out, now it unlocks when you view a notification.
EDIT: "here" now links to the correct version (v1.1).
Last edited by TpmKranz; 3rd March 2013 at 10:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TpmKranz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 12:48 PM   |  #6  
DeviousFusion's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 765
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TpmKranz

Version 1.1 is out, now it unlocks when you view a notification.
EDIT: "here" now links to the correct version (v1.1).


You are amazing. Just the thing I have been hunting for so long.

Thanx buddy..!

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Ok...noticed something in v1.1
The notification is there for a second or two, and suddenly it disappears and all I see is the lockscreen.

I am using CM10 on LG-P690

EDIT: This also happens if multiple notifications are received one after the other.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeviousFusion For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #7  
ZordanKV's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 853
 
497 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
v1.1 working fine for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZordanKV For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 01:49 PM   |  #8  
gobz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 304
 
696 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
Re: [APP; 2.2+] Notify Me! (notifications on the lock screen) v1.1 3.3.13 [GPL]
Just what I wanted. You made my app of the day!

"If I could I would, but I can't so I shan't."
Last edited by gobz; 3rd March 2013 at 03:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gobz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 01:57 PM   |  #9  
TpmKranz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 338
 
171 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2tusk

[...]
Ok...noticed something in v1.1
The notification is there for a second or two, and suddenly it disappears and all I see is the lockscreen.

I am using CM10 on LG-P690

EDIT: This also happens if multiple notifications are received one after the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZordanKV

v1.1 working fine for me.

For me, too. So the notification sound (vibration, etc...) fires off, the screen lights up, the notification popup appears, then disappears and never comes back again? And all without ANY interaction from you?
EDIT: Yeah, found the reason. I'm working on a fix.
EDIT2: It's a protection for cases when the system can't retrieve a notification's View to just don't show a popup (for which the View would be needed). I could reproduce it with Facebook Messenger's notifications - can you tell me which apps' notifications cause this for you?
Last edited by TpmKranz; 3rd March 2013 at 03:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TpmKranz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 03:31 PM   |  #10  
DeviousFusion's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 765
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZordanKV

Just tested it, looking good!

Only "problem" that I saw was not unlocking phone after tapping "View" on popup.
And is it possible to hide text from buttons seen on this screen http://i.imgur.com/anWg7Yx.png ? It is large and most of it can't be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TpmKranz

I already have an idea how to implement an unlock feature - give me some minutes and v1.1 could have it.
I don't think it would be possible to remove the text from the buttons, or at least it would be quite complicated and unreliable, as it's actually just the notification's View put in a Dialog and there is a high degree of freedom for developers to create an expanded notification's View - long story short: I don't think it's possible to exactly locate the button's Views and empty the text there, but I could give it a try, eventually.


Those Icons are dependent on the messaging app. I use Sliding Messaging Pro, which gives me the freedom to remove those buttons. Nothing of that sort is present in the stock app.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

[QUOTE=ZordanKV;38671172]Just tested it, looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TpmKranz

For me, too. So the notification sound (vibration, etc...) fires off, the screen lights up, the notification popup appears, then disappears and never comes back again? And all without ANY interaction from you?
EDIT: Yeah, found the reason. I'm working on a fix.
EDIT2: It's a protection for cases when the system can't retrieve a notification's View to just don't show a popup (for which the View would be needed). I could reproduce it with Facebook Messenger's notifications - can you tell me which apps' notifications cause this for you?

Whatsapp does that.
Hey Facebook won't work.
Last edited by DeviousFusion; 3rd March 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, app, ios, lock screen, notification
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes