Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra mount for car and home

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is a review of a newly released Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra (http://www.arkon.com/Slim-Grip Ultra/index.html) grip with various mounting options that can be used in a car and in a house. I have been using a lot of different car mounts for years, everything from cheap ebay parts to some more expensive brand names, but I keep coming back to Arkon for a very simple reason - it lasts through years because of the quality of material they use, more robust locking mechanism, and engineering of adjustable lockable joint. Also, since I use different cases on my phone and like flexibility of attaching my own cables where I want to, I prefer universal nature of these grips.

Since the day of my Droid X, I used their original Mega Grip which still works well with my Note 2. The problem, related to my car, was where I can place it since I didn't want to mount to windshield glass and I didn't want to use sticky or bean-bag bases on dashboard for suction cup mounting. My dashboard is textured, and regular suction cup didn't work with it. So I came up with combination of mounting my Mega Grip to another vertical sticky mount that worked with my car.

arkon_mega-grip_note2-1_zps914c70f4.jpg

I tried looking for a sticky base suction mounts, but those were either not good in heat, didn't work with my textured dashboard, or came off after awhile, so I vent back to my original setup. Now, I was pleased to see them releasing a new Slim-Grip Ultra mount, based on spring loaded mechanism rather then grip-locking mechanism, and was especially intrigued to see a sticky base suction mount offered along with it. This grip is based on spring loaded mechanism where one side will extend when pulled. This mechanism actually allows one-handed operation when in portrait orientation (then you can flip in to landscape if you want to) or you can use with two hands if you have your orientation fixed in landscape. Also, it comes with 2 sets of feet (with inner soft foam cushion) where in addition to original set the extra one gives you another 1" of clearance. With original feet you get about 6" total opening (perfect for up to 5" screen phones or 7"/8" tablets in landscape), extended feet give you clearance of up to 7" - perfect for Note 2 even with extra bulky case. Also, the feet slide thus making it adjustable to a position most convenient for your micro-usb charging cable, headphone cable, etc.

Adjustable mount arm has a very sturdy easy grip nut for different angles, and the grip uses universal ball joint which makes all the component interchangeable with other mounts and grips. In addition to low profile sticky suction mount, I also got extended arm mount for my Nexus 7, although could be used for a phone as well (uses regular suction cup), and two headrest mounts for either direct headrest mount or adjustable arm mount so both of the passengers in the back can share a view of a tablet or a phablet. Every mount is engineered with high precision and reliability; once locked in - its very sturdy and has attachment for slim-grip ultra grip or in general any other universal ball join mount. Those headrest mounts will probably be used in our SUV for kids to watch movies on Nexus 7 while we are on a road.

I'm also tested out sticky suction cup at home on various surfaces and different horizontal, vertical, and upside down positions. It worked perfectly in every case and stuck to a surface like a cement glue!

OK, so here are more detailed pictures of various setups inside of my car and at home.

slim-grip-ultra-01_zpsb3c1c7a8.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-02_zps0b25d3f5.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-03_zps25af615d.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-04_zps6d83cc30.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-05_zps7673029c.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-06_zps6a90eaa4.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-07_zps1d9717a7.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-08_zps4a2924a4.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-09_zps133aee56.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-10_zpsf551963d.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-11_zpsc31e01c6.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-12_zpsb5d9f224.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-13_zps8b7f9cf5.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-14_zpsc2c145fa.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-15_zpsc8159aa2.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-16_zpsf17064f9.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-17_zpsa048e335.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-18_zps30b2f23a.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-19_zpsce527b22.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-20_zpsfdc499d9.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-21_zps29fabe66.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-22_zpse703a9c9.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-23_zpsdade58f6.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-24_zps63b57f4b.jpg

*** IntelliGrip edition of Slim-Grip Ultra was reviewed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44760662&postcount=41 ***

Last edited:

Markel Risby

Oct 21, 2012
I like those plastic bibs for your car seats to protect them from your kids. Now that is really smart. Which I did that 6 years ago. There is stuff on my seats from our boys that will never ever come clean.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

I was wonder if that telescoping car mount would hold a note 2? or is it an inch to big for it?

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

So from what I gather from arkon catalong I need a mount part #SM060-2 with the telescoping part #CM117-SBH. The combination of the both part #TAB-CM117 would be an inch to big. I guess I just answered my own question. Thanks again for the cool pictures.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Just ordered the parts from http://www.mountguys.com. With free shipping on orders over $35. Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yeah, those plastic covers are backseat savers :)

No matter which mount you choose, they all have universal connection to clip any/all Arkon mounts. In every mount option I have in those picture, I use the same Slim-Grip Ultra. It comes with 2 sets of feet, for Note 2 use a longer one and for Nexus 7 a shorter one. The whole setup is VERY flexible. And you can actually use any car grip or even Garmin gps. Slim-Grip connects to a small mounting plate which has universal ball joint attachment that works with all other similar ball join accessories.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Btw, that upside down suction is for real. I was asked by someone in another forum how that was done. It's just an upside down suction without anything else. That sticky part with air suction works like a cement glue!!! Also forgot to mention, the sticky gel part is easy to wash off and it becomes like brand new.

dhoang

Jun 18, 2008
Orange County, CA
OP, question for you. What's is the extended mount in pics 4,5,6 calls. I cannot find it on Akron website. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmh529

dhoang

Jun 18, 2008
Orange County, CA

scottmog

Jun 6, 2007
I used to use my arkon windshield holder thing but my note 2 is just to big imo. Lmk if anyone wants it for a couple bucks.

Sent from galaxy note 2, tablet in my pocket! ^_^

Dmh529

Dec 28, 2012
I used to use my arkon windshield holder thing but my note 2 is just to big imo. Lmk if anyone wants it for a couple bucks.

Sent from galaxy note 2, tablet in my pocket! ^_^

Which one are you talking about. Can you post some pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

snapcrackpop

Feb 22, 2013
Got my Arkon Ultra yesterday and this fits properly. Wish the ball was a little tighter for putting in and out with one hand.
If the windshield mount is low it does not cover my view of the road, but then its hard to reach without leaning forward. ..
Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

vectron

Apr 23, 2011

coquipr

May 4, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I got my ultra slim grip sticky dash and winshield. I have to say is a great mount and it sticks to anything. I bought it fo4 my note 2 but I tried it with my Asus tf700 and it works great too.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363813852520.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363813852520.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 486
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363813870924.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363813870924.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 481
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363813892192.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363813892192.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 473

donec

Aug 21, 2012
You say the sticky part can be washed but not how to wash it or dry it without getting fuzz on it?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
You say the sticky part can be washed but not how to wash it or dry it without getting fuzz on it?

Just like with any of these sticky pad bases from Arkon, Exogear, iOtties, etc. - just rinse it under the cold water and shake the water off. The rest air dries within minutes and you are good to go. In one occasion I had some specks of dust already stuck to it when I removed it from a surface, that got washed away as well.

Reactions: donec

D3_

Mar 9, 2010
London
How well does this work with the ZeroLemon battery?
The official universal one I got from Samsung doesn't hold it as well as I'd like, pretty sure it'd fall off if I went over too many speedbumps.
I could only find this on eBay, not on Amazon, it's $22.99 + $13.55 shipping to the UK, or $36.53/£23.89, does that seem like a good price for it in the UK? Take into consideration the iBolt xProDock is £35.95+£9.95 shipping for the Samsung version, while the HTC version is available on Prime.

iBolt mini-rant:
I'd rather not get that just out of spite for all the delays and broken promises for those of us not in the UK. We were told long before it was even released that it'd be available on Prime in the UK but here we are, months after release and the Samsung one costs an extra £10 in delivery costs.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
How well does this work with the ZeroLemon battery?
The official universal one I got from Samsung doesn't hold it as well as I'd like, pretty sure it'd fall off if I went over too many speedbumps.
I could only find this on eBay, not on Amazon, it's $22.99 + $13.55 shipping to the UK, or $36.53/£23.89, does that seem like a good price for it in the UK? Take into consideration the iBolt xProDock is £35.95+£9.95 shipping for the Samsung version, while the HTC version is available on Prime.

iBolt mini-rant:
I'd rather not get that just out of spite for all the delays and broken promises for those of us not in the UK. We were told long before it was even released that it'd be available on Prime in the UK but here we are, months after release and the Samsung one costs an extra £10 in delivery costs.

Just confirmed it, Slim-Grip Ultra should work with ZL/tpu.

Reactions: D3_

Optimistic Pessimist

Mar 22, 2013
Sydney
What is the minimum size that a device can be, that the Slim-Grip Ultra can accept?

I.e, would it accept a GPS device that is 3.3(H)x1(D)x3.7(W) inches?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of a newly released Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra (http://www.arkon.com/Slim-Grip Ultra/index.html) grip with various mounting options that can be used in a car and in a house. I have been using a lot of different car mounts for years, everything from cheap ebay parts to some more expensive brand names, but I keep coming back to Arkon for a very simple reason - it lasts through years because of the quality of material they use, more robust locking mechanism, and engineering of adjustable lockable joint. Also, since I use different cases on my phone and like flexibility of attaching my own cables where I want to, I prefer universal nature of these grips.

Since the day of my Droid X, I used their original Mega Grip which still works well with my Note 2. The problem, related to my car, was where I can place it since I didn't want to mount to windshield glass and I didn't want to use sticky or bean-bag bases on dashboard for suction cup mounting. My dashboard is textured, and regular suction cup didn't work with it. So I came up with combination of mounting my Mega Grip to another vertical sticky mount that worked with my car.

arkon_mega-grip_note2-1_zps914c70f4.jpg

I tried looking for a sticky base suction mounts, but those were either not good in heat, didn't work with my textured dashboard, or came off after awhile, so I vent back to my original setup. Now, I was pleased to see them releasing a new Slim-Grip Ultra mount, based on spring loaded mechanism rather then grip-locking mechanism, and was especially intrigued to see a sticky base suction mount offered along with it. This grip is based on spring loaded mechanism where one side will extend when pulled. This mechanism actually allows one-handed operation when in portrait orientation (then you can flip in to landscape if you want to) or you can use with two hands if you have your orientation fixed in landscape. Also, it comes with 2 sets of feet (with inner soft foam cushion) where in addition to original set the extra one gives you another 1" of clearance. With original feet you get about 6" total opening (perfect for up to 5" screen phones or 7"/8" tablets in landscape), extended feet give you clearance of up to 7" - perfect for Note 2 even with extra bulky case. Also, the feet slide thus making it adjustable to a position most convenient for your micro-usb charging cable, headphone cable, etc.

Adjustable mount arm has a very sturdy easy grip nut for different angles, and the grip uses universal ball joint which makes all the component interchangeable with other mounts and grips. In addition to low profile sticky suction mount, I also got extended arm mount for my Nexus 7, although could be used for a phone as well (uses regular suction cup), and two headrest mounts for either direct headrest mount or adjustable arm mount so both of the passengers in the back can share a view of a tablet or a phablet. Every mount is engineered with high precision and reliability; once locked in - its very sturdy and has attachment for slim-grip ultra grip or in general any other universal ball join mount. Those headrest mounts will probably be used in our SUV for kids to watch movies on Nexus 7 while we are on a road.

I'm also tested out sticky suction cup at home on various surfaces and different horizontal, vertical, and upside down positions. It worked perfectly in every case and stuck to a surface like a cement glue!

OK, so here are more detailed pictures of various setups inside of my car and at home.

slim-grip-ultra-01_zpsb3c1c7a8.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-02_zps0b25d3f5.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-03_zps25af615d.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-04_zps6d83cc30.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-05_zps7673029c.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-06_zps6a90eaa4.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-07_zps1d9717a7.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-08_zps4a2924a4.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-09_zps133aee56.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-10_zpsf551963d.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-11_zpsc31e01c6.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-12_zpsb5d9f224.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-13_zps8b7f9cf5.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-14_zpsc2c145fa.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-15_zpsc8159aa2.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-16_zpsf17064f9.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-17_zpsa048e335.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-18_zps30b2f23a.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-19_zpsce527b22.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-20_zpsfdc499d9.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-21_zps29fabe66.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-22_zpse703a9c9.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-23_zpsdade58f6.jpg

slim-grip-ultra-24_zps63b57f4b.jpg

*** IntelliGrip edition of Slim-Grip Ultra was reviewed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44760662&postcount=41 ***
    Review of Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra IntelliGrip mount w/lots of pics!!!

This is a review of Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra IntelliGrip edition which available with a car charger http://arkon.com/NFC Mounts/intelligrip-nfc-dock.html or without it http://arkon.com/NFC Mounts/intelligrip-nfc-mount.html

For those familiar with Slim-Grip Ultra, which I've reviewed in my original post, you can consider this as v2.0. You will find the same high quality built with a spring loaded mechanism and two sets of adjustable leg supports to accommodate any smartphone or tablet with screen size of up to 8". It also comes with a sticky mount base which I have demonstrated before to work great on any flat surface and a number of different textured surfaces. There is even a classic mounting disk with 3M sticky side in case you really having a hard time locating that mounting surface. In addition, review package I received had car charger adapter with a built-in protection chip, although charger itself is rather bulky/old fashioned and supports only 1A of charging current. But the great thing is that you have an option which IntelliGrip package you choose, and once it's available on Amazon and other discount retailers, you always guaranteed to find the best deal! If you don't want to wait, you can order it directly from Arkon using links I provided above.

I'm not going into the same details about basics of this mount since I have already done that in my original review you can find at Post#1 of this thread. I have been using my Arkon car mount for years, and can voucher for its quality that never let me down no matter if it's single or triple digit weather outside. The build and the material of this Slim Grip Ultra is top notch. I also wanted to add since I have been asked this question a lot, the mount does fit Note 2 with Zerolemon battery and it's tpu case. I have demonstrated that in pictures below. N2 w/ZL stays very sturdy and secure. But I still have to point out - using a large phone such as Note 2 will require two hands because you will be dealing with extension of spring loaded end where the spring itself will be at max stretch. Just think of it as a bonus workout ;)

So what is IntelliGrip and how does it benefit this car mount? With a widespread popularity of NFC technology, you will find it available in most of today's new phones. It's very simple, you get NFC tag, program it, and place your phone next to this tag to execute pre-programmed tasks. You can let your imagination go wild where and how you can use these, but one place where it could be almost as "must have" is in your car. You get into your car, typically want your wifi to turn off and switch to 4G before the road, have GPS on, perhaps Bluetooth on as well to pair up with your car audio system, and start your navigation program. This is a series of commands you can realistically go through every time you get into the car, especially if you are trying to preserve your battery life and have some of these turned off. In this situation having NFC tag right where your car mount is extremely practical. I know what you going to ask, why do I need another car mount when I can get a sticky tag and just attach it on the car mount. Absolutely, you can, but after awhile it will probably peel off after constant placement of the phone. Therefore Arkon guys came up with a clever idea to make a cavity inside of their spring loaded arm to host this NFC tag. As you can see from the pictures, one was already included, and another one was provided as a spare. As simple as that, place your phone into the car mount, and any task you programmed using, for example, a free NFC Task Launcher will get executed on a spot. Very simple and clean solution that takes Slim-Grip Ultra to a new IntelliGrip level :)

Here are the pictures.

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-01_zps9581a798.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-02_zps3139e0b1.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-03_zps7ae04ccf.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-04_zps3bcb3e4b.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-05_zps48e9f535.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-06_zps01bb01a0.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-07_zpsc24b5a42.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-08_zps7de8c026.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-09_zps14a44be8.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-10_zps81bca164.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-11_zps1004a24b.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-12_zpsda471f7f.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-13_zpsb77f4b75.jpg

arkon_slim_intelli_grip-14_zpsbadc757d.jpg
    OP, question for you. What's is the extended mount in pics 4,5,6 calls. I cannot find it on Akron website. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Strange. It seems they updated their webpage and that particular combo is not available. The part was SM6-CM117, and I see it's still listed in their catalog: http://www.arkon.com/catalog/Arkon 2013 Catalog.pdf

Let me ping them to see if they can fix their website. Or perhaps you can use that P/N if you order by phone.
    In the last month I got a few PMs from people asking me which model of Arkon car mount I would recommend. As you probably seen, I usually refer to Slim Grip Ultra as my favorite one, and I have tested all of them :) Can't go wrong since it works with every smartphone from old iPhone to Note 3 as well as small 7"/8" tablets like Nexus 7 and Note 8 or iPad Mini, therefore you are future proofed for whatever comes next, S5, Note 4, etc. But when you start looking at all the Slim Grip Ultra models, it could get a bit confusing will all the different models corresponding to mounting options, different bases, suction cups, etc.

So instead of replying to separate PMs, I figured just to post the link to their latest model where they have a new improved sticky suction base, which to be honest is the best I have ever seen with any mount (max bond to any surface). This one is their latest model SM679, its $16 plus change with free amazon shipping option here: http://www.amazon.com/Suction-Windshield-Dashboard-Samsung-Smartphones/dp/B00H89MLLM/