Moon on a stick! (feature wishlist)
Ever think that the XDA was released a little early, and that there should have been a few 'basic' features.
Ok, we all love the XDA / MDA / 'whatever', but I bet some of us feel that we'll have to upgrade just a bit sooner than we'd liked, just for some really useful stuff.
So here is the beginnings of a wish list. Things that I consider should be standard on the next PDA I buy, because after all, that one WILL be the last one I ever buy :wink:
Some of this is availble as 3rd party, but it should be standard. It is standard on most Nokias
1) All the stuff currently on the XDA. (We don't want to lose anything do we)
2) At least 64Mb RAM - how many people went and hung themselves when the 64Mb version was released for less money than the 32Mb!!
3) >16bit colour
4) SDIO - it seems a waste not to include this
5) CF slot. CF is so flexible, and fast. It should always be there really.
6) Back-up battery. You can't run off this (or you would, wouldn't you?), but it should try and hold the memory for at least 2 weeks.
7) WLAN. You're sat at home, in your armchair, and you just want to look up who played that part in that film - do you get up and use your broadband for free, or use your GPRS on your phone.
8) Bluetooth. not as important when the above is availbable, but would be nice to have the headset, and communication with other phones etc.
9) MMS. How did they miss this one? A perfect money spinner for the network op.
10) Voice recognition.
11) Some kind of contact profiling. Ring tones, call lenth counters, etc.
12) Character counter for SMS messages (I realise this is an outlook shortfall, but still).
13) An easy way to re-send failed SMS in outlook.
14) Microsoft CE.NET (one day, maybe)
15) Consumer IR - should have been higher on the list. Unfortunately the IR port on a XDA is not powerful enough to transmit consumer IR signals very far. This is available now on some iPAQs. Why not use your phone as a universal remote control? design your own remotes, create macro buttons that enter '129' in sky for example (Paramount).
16) Fingerprint reading. Now available on iPAQs. With the right type of touch screen, this is a reality. What an excellent security measure. No need to get out your pen to enter your PIN, just touch the screen.
17) Master USB. Wouldn't it be great to be able to plug in all those USB devices you have. cameras etc.
Feel free to add your own dreams