Ask a question

No registration required

Samsung and Corning Inc.: Repair or Replace Samsung Galaxy S3's Defective Glass

OP marcustaz

13th November 2012, 02:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 172

561 posts
Trying to get the word out here for all who have been affected by their defective glass breaking.

I want to mention that I am NOT the creator of this petition I am nearly passing information on after I found it during a Google search.

http://www.change.org/petitions/spri...orilla-glass-2
Last edited by marcustaz; 14th November 2012 at 03:52 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marcustaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2012, 03:30 PM   |  #2  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 159

1,247 posts
More
i think this is just the cost of having a thin phone unfortunately. The glass is extremely thin.
13th November 2012, 03:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

561 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac7

i think this is just the cost of having a thin phone unfortunately. The glass is extremely thin.

Actually I think it is a design flaw and I will tell you why. Most of the breaks on this phone happen from the edge. Samsung decided to use cheap plastic on the edges. When the phone impacts, from the edge the plastic gives way to much. It then forces the glass inward from the edge, the glass having no where to go, plus the fact it is so thin, cannot handle the force and just shatters. I dropped my phone from literally 1 foot off he ground and the screen shattered. Guess what, it was a side corner impact.

Had Samsung used an Aluminum body or a stronger Composite the phone would probably hold up much better to these side/corner impacts, But again they used cheap garbage plastic... So sad for a great phone hardware wise...
Last edited by marcustaz; 13th November 2012 at 03:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcustaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2012, 10:22 PM   |  #4  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 98

621 posts
More
Good thing for us consumers we have multiple devices to choose from when ever we become unhappy with something.
Bottom line is no device is perfect. LG, ZTE and HTC make devices for Sprint as well. If the GS3 hardware is not up to your specifications feel free to try one of those.
No body held a gun to your head and said buy this phone. No one said, hey keep the phone naked or made you drop it..
What ever you do dont run your car into a brick wall at 5 miles an hour. Do you know how much bumpers on a vehicle cost now a days
ok smart ass mode off..
The Following User Says Thank You to IAmSixNine For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2012, 11:23 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

561 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine

Good thing for us consumers we have multiple devices to choose from when ever we become unhappy with something.
Bottom line is no device is perfect. LG, ZTE and HTC make devices for Sprint as well. If the GS3 hardware is not up to your specifications feel free to try one of those.
No body held a gun to your head and said buy this phone. No one said, hey keep the phone naked or made you drop it..
What ever you do dont run your car into a brick wall at 5 miles an hour. Do you know how much bumpers on a vehicle cost now a days
ok smart ass mode off..

Why?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
13th November 2012, 11:38 PM   |  #6  
Flag Colonial Heights,VA
Thanks Meter: 1,088

2,706 posts
More
Go buy a iphone. Or put a case worth buying that will take a impact.

Sent from Pluto.
14th November 2012, 02:38 AM   |  #7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 476

2,932 posts
More
I honestly think this is stupid
(Typing from a s3 cracked from the corner)
We buy smart phones knowing the risks and this falls under accidental
While it is true that both my s1&2 lasted through lots more falls the crack in my phone wasn't as bad as other phones I saw
Where the 3ft drop caused a spider web crack from the middle of the screen woke i got a tiny-ish crack from the corner

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
14th November 2012, 04:53 AM   |  #8  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 159

1,247 posts
More
i think samsung knew the phone might not be as durable, but they thought thinness was more important.
14th November 2012, 08:40 AM   |  #9  
Flag Silicon Valley, California
Thanks Meter: 16

230 posts
More
The real problem is that a even a small crack on your screen voids your warrenty. And samsung has a all or nothing repair policy.

I learned this the hard way.
14th November 2012, 03:08 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 601

1,405 posts
you could try, you know, not dropping your phone. if you're prone to being clumsy, then how about you take responsibility by buying a case and protecting your investment instead of blaming the damn manufacturer for your own damn mistake? even if you're not a clumsy person and you use the addage "sh*t happens sometimes"... you're damn right sh*t happens, so how about you insure your sh*t with a case like a responsible adult?

cmon look at what's on that stupid petition's page: "They need to investigate without their prejudicial bias, and possibly recall the phones that have the defective glass." think about that for just a minute. how exactly do you idiots propose that samsung "recall phones that have the defective glass?" first off, how does one know they have defective glass without dropping their phone to find out? your answer may be "well hurrrrr if the glass breaks then it's defective..." well no sh*t sherlock, you dropped it that doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you dropped a piece of glass. is that samsung's fault that you have parkinsons? secondly, even if they did honor the requests of a few mongoloids, how does samsung know these mongoloids legitimately dropped their phones from only a few feet off the ground? how does samsung know that these phones weren't thrown in the air, or dropped from a ladder, or thrown down some stairs by your spoiled, rambunctious kids?

get real. this petition is stupid and only enables the irresponsibility and cowardness of people. take responsibility for your own mistakes instead of blaming the manufacturer for you breaking your phone.
Last edited by cnstarz; 14th November 2012 at 03:15 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to cnstarz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread