5,599,677 Members 46,206 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Public Service Announcement] Read before installing the AT&T Jellybean OTA or RUU

Tip us?

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 22nd May 2013 at 04:55 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2587
Default [Public Service Announcement] Read before installing the AT&T Jellybean OTA or RUU

The AT&T Jellybean OTA (firmare 3.18) is finally rolling out. If you plan to install it be aware of the following:

1) If you have SuperCID, installing the OTA may result in a brick. Its not completely clear yet exactly what the brick conditions are. People with SuperCID and S-off appear to be okay. Which makes sense, because the issue is with CID check, and by definition all security checks should be bypassed with S-off. Bottom line: It is not recommended to install the OTA if you have SuperCID, unless you first do S-off.

UPDATE (March 21, 2013): The 3.18 RUU was just posted on HTC's website. It appears to also brick the phone if you are SuperCID and S-on.

2) Nobody has yet posted that the X-factor root exploit works or not on the Jellybean OTA. HTC patched the previous root exploits with every other OTA to date (1.85 and 2.20), so its very possible that they have done the same with X-factor.

If this is the case (X-factor does not work), and you are not already bootloader unlocked and/or S-off, and you install the OTA, you will be stuck without root until a new exploit is discovered and posted. This happened with the 2.20 OTA, and many folks here were stuck without root for (I believe) 3+ months until X-factor came out. If you are not already rooted (bootloader unlocked, S-off, etc.) and think you may want to be, it is highly recommended you do so before installing the 3.18 OTA.

UPDATE (March 10, 2013): Its been confirmed that X-factor does not work to root on the 3.18 OTA. Root (unlock bootloader, S-off, etc.) before the OTA as warned above, or you're screwed.

UPDATE (May 17, 2013): A root method has been achieved for 3.18. See here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2285086
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2283760

3) OTA Rootkeeper seems to be working for some people, but its not clear. It didn't work on 2.20, so don't assume it does. If for some reason you are rooted but not bootloader unlocked or S-off (for instance, you are on 1.73 or 1.85 and used the corresponding root exploits), its recommended you unlock the bootloader and/or S-off before installing the OTA, to ensure you retain the ability to root.

4) Frankly, I don't personally recommend installing any OTA if you are rooted, on a custom ROM, etc. If you are rooted/bootloader unlocked, and want to try the stock AT&T Jellybean ROM, just flash the rooted stock ROM here (flashable in recovery). Better yet, the first custom ROM based on 3.18 is already posted here, with others sure to come.

Some people like to install the OTAs anyway. To each his own. Just be aware of the warnings as stated, do some more research, and plan accordingly.

5) Root and custom recovery interfere with downloading and installing the OTA. Your best bet to install the OTA is to return to stock to properly install the OTA, by relocking the bootloader (if unlocked) and running the RUU.

6) The situation is very fluid. The OTA is just starting to roll out, and not many people have installed it yet (nobody had posted that the tried X-factor, etc.). So some of this information may not be complete or totally accurate. As events unfold, and users post their experiences on this forum, I will try to update this post accordingly.

Cheers and good luck!
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: HTC One X (AT&T version) Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-Off

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (WiFi only) Rooted
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slojko
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Default Re: [Public Service Announcement] Read before installing the AT&T Jellybean OTA

When i took the ota m'y bootloader hot upgraded to 2.14 would it ne a voir idea to downgrade?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

N5

pablo11
Old
Thanks Meter 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
When i took the ota m'y bootloader hot upgraded to 2.14 would it ne a voir idea to downgrade?

When I was on 2.14 I could not flash radios. I am s-off so I just downgraded my hboot to 1.09 using Liam's thread. All good now - you may want to downgrade your touch panel firmware as well. It's easy enough.

slojko
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Default Re: [Public Service Announcement] Read before installing the AT&T Jellybean OTA

How do you do downgrade the hboot and also does it matter which one you do first (touch panel or hboot)

N5

mchun
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Guess I'm just SOL
HTC One GPE

eraste
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 546

DONATE TO ME

Redpoint it seems ex factor does not work for new 3.18 att ota.

Complaints http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38925325here

Note 2 ftw
Create Your own windows multi tool!
Android live wallpapers

Like Us on Facebook
Follow on Twitter

Device:
Samsung Galaxy S4 (ATT) SGH-i337
Baseband: MDL
Android: 4.2.2
Recovery: OUDHS CWM-based 1.0.3.4
The Following User Says Thank You to eraste For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 4626
Default Thread stickied

Good write-up, thread stickied so hopefully will save some people.
Donate to XDA! -- Please read and follow the XDA Rules -- Please

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikef For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
How do you do downgrade the hboot and also does it matter which one you do first (touch panel or hboot)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2159863

But really, there is a search function and index for this sort of thing.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: HTC One X (AT&T version) Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-Off

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (WiFi only) Rooted
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DESERT.TECH
Old
Thanks Meter 139

Lowers flag half way to all those who refuse to read and listen to advice, may you find peace in the afterlife

iElvis
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1717
As long as you're s-off before you start, you're fine.

I re-locked, 2.20 ruu'd, flashed the ota, unlocked again, and flashed a rooted rom last night in about half an hour.

IMO every tutorial in this forum need to be updated with "First, s-off your phone." This would solve so many issues.
Dynavin D99+ (///M3Evolution)

Retired
HTC One XL
iPhone 4
iPhone 3G

Generic Noob Advice
The name of this site is xda-developers, not xda-overly-entitled-users. Ponder this well.
Your best friend is the Search button.
Do you want to root and mod your phone? Click here.
Asking for the "best rom" at xda is like asking for the "best BBQ" in Texas.
A nandroid is like a fire extinguisher: You may never need it, but when you do, it's a life-saver.

Custom HTC One Bootsplashes and Animations
My designs + requests: Splashes | Animations

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iElvis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]