This guide is especially for the new users, experienced HTC users should already be familiar with this process.
Step 1: Unlock
- Go on http://www.htcdev.com and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
- Download these adb/fastboot files
- Make a new folder on your C:/ drive called fastboot for example.
- Extract the zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
- Go Here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
- Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
- Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
- Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 10 seconds
- Power your phone on by holding power and volume down
- Highlight Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power
- Plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
- (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
- (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
- Change directory to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
- Type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
- Paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
- You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
- Download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
- Type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.
Step 2: Recovery
- Download the Android SDK (optional)
- Download the recovery of your choice, here a few links:
- CWM 2
- Place the Recovery file you downloaded where the fastboot.exe is (Either in the location of your downloaded fastboot drivers or in the Android SDK directory)
- Now open the cmd and navigate to the folder where the Recovery File is located or just open a cmd with shift and right click at the correct directory
- Now type:
fastboot flash recovery name_of_the_recovery.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-m7.img
Now your recovery is installed
Step 3: Root
This step is only needed if you want a stock rooted ROM, if you want a custom ROM, skip this step.
- Now root your phone with SuperSU by Chainfire or SuperUser by koush
- Download SuperSU from this link or SuperUser from this link
- Flash it with the Recovery:
- Power off your device and then hold the VOL DOWN + Power to boot into the Bootloader
- Navigate with VOL and Power to Recovery
- Now flash the .zip:
- install zip from sdcard
- choose zip from sdcard
- select the downloaded SuperSU/SuperUser zip file and flash it
- Reboot now
Now you are able to flash any Custom ROM.
Step 4: Custom ROM
With htcdev unlock you need to flash the boot.img after every ROM installation
Note: Most of the custom ROMs have a script which lets the boot.img flash automatically with the ROM, so probably the steps after flashing the ROM are not needed.
If you are in a bootlop though, I recommend you to perform these steps and flash the boot.img with fastboot
- Download the ROM you want to flash
- Open the ROM zip with an archive manager and extract the boot.img out of it and place it in your fastboot directory
- Copy the ROM to your sdcard
- Now boot into bootloader again (explained above) and choose recovery with your volume keys and power button
- In recovery wipe data and cache aka fullwipe before flashing your ROM if you are moving to a new base (for example from CyanogenMod to a Sense ROM, don't forget to backup your data files, like apps) (Often ROM chefs leave a note in their thread if a fullwipe is needed or not, just follow their advices)
- Now flash your ROM by installing zip from sdcard
- If this is finished, reboot and reboot into bootloader again
- Connect your phone to your PC in fasboot mode (choose in bootloader with power button)
- Open a cmd in your fastboot folder with your boot.img and type these two commands:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot erase cache
- Then reboot your phone and wait some minutes to see your ROM booted
Video tutorials (for One S but the steps are the same):
Video-Tutorial by Flow-Wolf:
Custom ROM Installation: