Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,495 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Play R800at in bootloop USB Debugging off cannot get in fastboot mode

Tip us?

rlpip
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Xperia Play R800at in bootloop USB Debugging off cannot get in fastboot mode

Trying to fix an Xperia Play R800at. It was running the R800a 2.3.4 North American Generic ftf, and my son had rooted it using gingerbreak (he thinks) on flashtool. Also at one point he attempted to unlock the bootloader but doesn't think that worked

Anyway, the phone was running fine for a long while, and then we switched from a 16gb sd to a 32gb sd. During the switch my son moved some games from the phone memory to the sd. Other than the loss of game progress, everything seemed to be working fine. About a week later the screen started going black during games or when he closed the phone. Because of the feedback he could tell the phone was still operating, just no lit screen. The problem would clear on reboot.

So we researched the problem on Sony and XDA, and it appears the best solution was to reload the software. However since the phone was rooted we had to reload using flashtool first, and then force a recovery reload via PCC. Meanwhile the phone display stopped working altogether and the phone would vibrate but seemingly not boot up.

Steps we have taken so far:
- flashed back to AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 using flashtool Result: flashtool said successful but phone would vibrate but not boot
- used PCC to load the Xperia R800 Play software Result: software for phone not found
- used X10_V1_BLRelock.ftf just in case my son was able to unlock the bootloader
- flashed back to AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 using flashtool Result: flashtool said successful but phone would vibrate but not boot
- used PCC and the Sony Recovery to load the Xperia R800 Play software onto the phone Result: successful load but goes into bootloop (SE logo comes up bright, fades, blacks out, and does it again and again
- tried various other play ftfs in flashtool - flashtool now telling me USB Debugging is off, and WARN - This file is ignored : simlock.ta - ftf loads otherwise, but Sony's Recovery tool does not recognize anything but the AT&T software
- went back to AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 and then re-updated on Sony - same bootloop
- tried to boot the phone in fastboot mode by holding the search button and plugging the usb in - appears to connect in flash mode

So - I believe it is now un-rooted, and relocked, USB Debugging is off, the standard AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 software is on there, it goes into bootloop

Any ideas how to fix from here?

julian280
Old
(Last edited by julian280; 14th March 2013 at 01:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 37
Default Re: [Q] Xperia Play R800at in bootloop USB Debugging off cannot get in fastboot mode

I got a soft bick recently in my Xperia Play r800a, but the screen always worked. What I did was flash an r800i ftf and it worked. The simlock.ta omission is maybe an effect of flashing the x10 BL unlock bundle, but it doesnt work to unlock the xplay, and maybe thats why the phone is like that (who knows..... just never flash something made for other model until it is confirmed to work on yours, like some arc and neo v basebands and scripts)

The debugging off state is caused by the stock ftf flashed. When you flash it you get a complete new system with stock configs, so the debuggin is set off by default and thats what you got. Its also unrooted, just if you were wondering

Maybe you should try flashing an r800i ftf (all r800a,at,i work on your device, cause they are all GSM. But NEVER flash an r800x Rom cause it works on CDMA, and it will surely brick your phone.

You could also try to flash a custom stock-based Rom. They can work on stock kernel and will give you a clean sytem as well, but since your screen is not working, it has to be in .ftf format. Just check 'skip kernel' and 'skip confirmation' when doing so.

The only method for a branded phone for unlocking bootloader is to use testpont method (paid) by alejandrissimo (look unlock-bootloader.com). He maybe repair your phone btw

Sent from my SK17a using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to julian280 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fritzbored
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpip View Post
Trying to fix an Xperia Play R800at. It was running the R800a 2.3.4 North American Generic ftf, and my son had rooted it using gingerbreak (he thinks) on flashtool. Also at one point he attempted to unlock the bootloader but doesn't think that worked

Anyway, the phone was running fine for a long while, and then we switched from a 16gb sd to a 32gb sd. During the switch my son moved some games from the phone memory to the sd. Other than the loss of game progress, everything seemed to be working fine. About a week later the screen started going black during games or when he closed the phone. Because of the feedback he could tell the phone was still operating, just no lit screen. The problem would clear on reboot.

So we researched the problem on Sony and XDA, and it appears the best solution was to reload the software. However since the phone was rooted we had to reload using flashtool first, and then force a recovery reload via PCC. Meanwhile the phone display stopped working altogether and the phone would vibrate but seemingly not boot up.

Steps we have taken so far:
- used PCC to load the Xperia R800 Play software Result: software for phone not found
- used X10_V1_BLRelock.ftf just in case my son was able to unlock the bootloader
- used PCC and the Sony Recovery to load the Xperia R800 Play software onto the phone Result: successful load but goes into bootloop (SE logo comes up bright, fades, blacks out, and does it again and again
- tried various other play ftfs in flashtool - flashtool now telling me USB Debugging is off, and WARN - This file is ignored : simlock.ta - ftf loads otherwise, but Sony's Recovery tool does not recognize anything but the AT&T software
- went back to AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 and then re-updated on Sony - same bootloop
- tried to boot the phone in fastboot mode by holding the search button and plugging the usb in - appears to connect in flash mode

So - I believe it is now un-rooted, and relocked, USB Debugging is off, the standard AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 software is on there, it goes into bootloop

Any ideas how to fix from here?
when you did this were you using the latest version of flashtool? installed all adb drivers? is the AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 the original back up image of the phone it was rooted? or did you download this from any other source?
The Following User Says Thank You to fritzbored For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rlpip
Old
(Last edited by rlpip; 15th March 2013 at 08:01 PM.) Reason: Adding details
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzbored View Post
when you did this were you using the latest version of flashtool? installed all adb drivers? is the AT&T 3.0.1.8.0.285 the original back up image of the phone it was rooted? or did you download this from any other source?
Yes - latest version of flashtool. AT&T ftf came from the one listed here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1603737

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian280 View Post
... The simlock.ta omission is maybe an effect of flashing the x10 BL unlock bundle, but it doesnt work to unlock the xplay, and maybe thats why the phone is like that (who knows..... just never flash something made for other model until it is confirmed to work on yours, like some arc and neo v basebands and scripts)

When you flash it you get a complete new system with stock configs, so the debuggin is set off by default and thats what you got. Its also unrooted, just if you were wondering

Maybe you should try flashing an r800i ftf (all r800a,at,i work on your device, cause they are all GSM.

You could also try to flash a custom stock-based Rom. They can work on stock kernel and will give you a clean sytem as well, but since your screen is not working, it has to be in .ftf format. Just check 'skip kernel' and 'skip confirmation' when doing so.

The only method for a branded phone for unlocking bootloader is to use testpont method (paid) by alejandrissimo (look unlock-bootloader.com). He maybe repair your phone btw
I actually did the Blagus relocking ftf which says it is for the Play too here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1134334 After I did this Sony Mobile Update Service started recognizing the phone and 285 sw version and allowed software download and repair.

I figured the Debugging setting and the rooting reset when I flashed it. I tried r800i ftf - same problem. Was thinking about a custom ROM but first things first. I am going to replace the ribbon cable and try again. I suspect the original problem was possibly ribbon cable related. (I shot alejandrissimo a note and he suggested I try this first as well.)

Thanks both for your reponses.