[Q] Blue LED and no screen :(

Search This thread

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
tl;dr I have a blue LED showing up in the top left of the phone and nothing showing up on the screen after the SAMSUNG logo appears. I do hear the Sprint 4G LTE music, but that's it. The screen is off.

NOTE: I'm running Sprint's stock 4.1.1 ROM rooted.

Other threads I looked at (neither is the same issue):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=581929
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1792477

I had my first OTA update appear today. When I ran the update, Clockwork showed up and upon hitting "Yes", it failed. I looked around online and found this guide to reverse my rooting: http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/sprint-sgs3-stock-restore.html

I was able to successfully flash TeamEpic-RemoveRoot-from-Recovery-signed.zip, but I didn't hit the keys right for the next one and ended up booting into the OS.

After restarting the phone, I hit the right keys and started ODIN. I saw COM show up in blue and put the TeamEpic-Sprint-SGS3-stock-boot-and-recovery.tar.md5 file in the PDA area then hit Start. I got a green PASS and then closed Odin and waited.

The phone had a black screen with that blue LED in the top left. I waited a while and then just powered it off. Took out the battery and tried again, same thing; although, the SAMSUNG logo does show up. It turns off when the Sprint part is supposed to show and at that moment I can hear the audio but the screen turns off. In this mode, the phone gets very very hot.

I can still boot into the stock recovery, but I can't do much else.

I just wanted the OTA :(. Does anyone know what might be happening?

EDIT: I put Clockwork Recovery back on, and then Advanced Recovered the boot part of a backup I did before this mess. Surprisingly, that worked. Problem is, I still haven't gotten the OTA working.

Ideas?

Last edited:

CrfEpic4g

Mar 26, 2011
Fayetteville
I think the latest tar we have is still Lj7 but idk. just flash the lj7 tar in odin and update to the latest ill try and find it for you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

http://www.hotfile.com/dl/161492098/9fa8372/L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_SPR.zip.html

Theres a link to lj7 just download that flash it in odin and youll be back to stock. Then all you have to do is update to mb1. ;)
Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

topherk

Nov 16, 2010
Los Angeles
tl;dr I have a blue LED showing up in the top left of the phone and nothing showing up on the screen after the SAMSUNG logo appears. I do hear the Sprint 4G LTE music, but that's it. The screen is off.

NOTE: I'm running Sprint's stock 4.1.1 ROM rooted.

Other threads I looked at (neither is the same issue):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=581929
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1792477

I had my first OTA update appear today. When I ran the update, Clockwork showed up and upon hitting "Yes", it failed. I looked around online and found this guide to reverse my rooting: http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/sprint-sgs3-stock-restore.html

I was able to successfully flash TeamEpic-RemoveRoot-from-Recovery-signed.zip, but I didn't hit the keys right for the next one and ended up booting into the OS.

After restarting the phone, I hit the right keys and started ODIN. I saw COM show up in blue and put the TeamEpic-Sprint-SGS3-stock-boot-and-recovery.tar.md5 file in the PDA area then hit Start. I got a green PASS and then closed Odin and waited.

The phone had a black screen with that blue LED in the top left. I waited a while and then just powered it off. Took out the battery and tried again, same thing; although, the SAMSUNG logo does show up. It turns off when the Sprint part is supposed to show and at that moment I can hear the audio but the screen turns off. In this mode, the phone gets very very hot.

I can still boot into the stock recovery, but I can't do much else.

I just wanted the OTA :(. Does anyone know what might be happening?

EDIT: I put Clockwork Recovery back on, and then Advanced Recovered the boot part of a backup I did before this mess. Surprisingly, that worked. Problem is, I still haven't gotten the OTA working.

Ideas?

Why are you so intent on taking the OTA? Freeza has a stock rooted ROM over in his thread. And if you want just update the baseband, just flash the "MB1 Firmware/modem/baseband update" file in the aforementioned thread.

If you're already rooted with a custom recovery (which you were/are), there's no reason to unroot just to flash the OTA. Freeza typically has his stock rooted ROM updated with the OTA within a week of it being released. In my area OTAs are kind of late, so he typically gets it out before I even see the notification.

So, in summary. OTAs are not required, XDA (and Freeza in particular) has you covered.

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
Why are you so intent on taking the OTA? Freeza has a stock rooted ROM over in his thread. And if you want just update the baseband, just flash the "MB1 Firmware/modem/baseband update" file in the aforementioned thread.

If you're already rooted with a custom recovery (which you were/are), there's no reason to unroot just to flash the OTA. Freeza typically has his stock rooted ROM updated with the OTA within a week of it being released. In my area OTAs are kind of late, so he typically gets it out before I even see the notification.

So, in summary. OTAs are not required, XDA (and Freeza in particular) has you covered.
I'll go ahead and give it a try then. I haven't ever had a ROM update since I got the phone in October so I figure the upgrade won't work right, and I'll need the full ROM. Currently doing a backup.

Does flashing a ROM affect all app settings? And if so, by that point I'd just wanna have another ROM. The main reason I am fine w/ the stock ROM rooted is bc all my settings and apps are already installed and configured as well as the fact that I know it will work properly. So if this removes my settings, no reason to go stock anymore aside from the fact that I've seen that CyanogenMod doesn't get as good of signal on the S III as stock-based ROMs. Do you know if this still true?

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
I'll go ahead and give it a try then. I haven't ever had a ROM update since I got the phone in October so I figure the upgrade won't work right, and I'll need the full ROM. Currently doing a backup.

Does flashing a ROM affect all app settings? And if so, by that point I'd just wanna have another ROM. The main reason I am fine w/ the stock ROM rooted is bc all my settings and apps are already installed and configured as well as the fact that I know it will work properly. So if this removes my settings, no reason to go stock anymore aside from the fact that I've seen that CyanogenMod doesn't get as good of signal on the S III as stock-based ROMs. Do you know if this still true?
Strange. I upgraded the ROM by flashing, everything seemed to work as I'm at 4.1.2 now, but the Upgrade notification is still there for some reason. Is there any way to tell the phone it's been upgraded?

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Strange. I upgraded the ROM by flashing, everything seemed to work as I'm at 4.1.2 now, but the Upgrade notification is still there for some reason. Is there any way to tell the phone it's been upgraded?

Setting >scroll all the way to the bottom >about phone>read what it say there. If it says your on latest then it should be ok you may have to clear some things and if it doesn't say latest just edit the build prop.
Go to this thread by Cnexus and follow all instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39627397

Transmitted with a portable device using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: CNexus

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7

Are you on MB1 or MA6?
Just flash an updated rom, or follow the instructions in my OTA thread for how to get rid of it

If you dirty flash the rom over whatever you had before, it should not affect any settings

Last edited:

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
Are you on MB1 or MA6?
Just flash an updated rom, or follow the instructions in my OTA thread for how to get rid of it

If you dirty flash the rom over whatever you had before, it should not affect any settings

MB1 as of now. What do you mean by dirty flash the rom?

Setting >scroll all the way to the bottom >about phone>read what it say there. If it says your on latest then it should be ok you may have to clear some things and if it doesn't say latest just edit the build prop.
Go to this thread by Cnexus and follow all instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39627397

I think the message isn't showing up anymore bc it hasn't bugged me at all today. Device Status is and has always been "Modified" anyway.

Thanks!

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
MB1 as of now. What do you mean by dirty flash the rom?

I think the message isn't showing up anymore bc it hasn't bugged me at all today. Device Status is and has always been "Modified" anyway.

Thanks!

A dirty flash is when you flash without clearing anything, and that's why no data is lost when you do one of those. However it can lead to issues, so i would advise against it when possible

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.