[APP][ROOT] FolderMount - Link folders from internal SD to external to free space

OP madmack

15th March 2013, 06:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 4,431

3,538 posts
Donate to Me
More
Features of FolderMount:
  • Root is an absolute MUST. No root, no access to app.
  • Mount internal SD card folders to external SD folders.
  • Move content from internal to external when a pair is added. (Dialog prompt)
  • Support for Android 2.3 - 4.4.
  • Holo themed throughout and an intuitive GUI design.
  • It will check SDCARD mount status and remount if necessary.

Why would you need this app?

Today some apps store big files over the internal SD card (e.g. Games, Podcasts, Offline RSS feeds, Pictures, Offline navigation software). Typically users have a small internal sd card size (~16GB) while the external SD is a lot bigger (~32-64GB). Most of these apps don't have an option to use the external SD card to store data so they starve your internal SD card memory. I'm bringing this solution to fix this issue. In my case, I use this app to mount offline navigation software and some GameLoft games (NFS anyone?).

Doesn't this do the same thing as previous apps?

There are a few apps that already do this. However, my app differs in that:

a) Some of the existing apps aren't maintained anymore. FolderMount will be maintained by me as we go forward.
b) While most of the previous apps work properly in most cases, I found them not very intuitive to setup initially and were lacking some necessary "sanity checks" before linking folders. I intend to keep this app as intuitive and bug free as possible.
c) Support for Android 4.2.2! No app will currently do that for you, so here it is. (dev talk: this uses the debuggerd service trick to get it to work).

Users that buy the premium key will get:
  • Unlimited folder pairs (free version has a limit of 3).
  • Ability to mount any subfolder in the internal sdcard. (free version has restrictions on Android obb and data folders)
  • Get to see the folder sizes in root explorer
  • Support the developer and make him very happy

Mini how to
  1. Click add to add a folder pair
  2. Select a source directory that you want to move files from. This should be somewhere in your internal sdcard. Usually located at /mnt/sdcard
  3. Select a destination directory that you want to move files to. This should be some folder in your external sdcard or OTG drive.
  4. FolderMount will offer to move the files to the destination. Click yes.
  5. After the moving process is done, click on the pin. If the pin is green, you're all set.
    Note: The files will appear in both the source and destination after pinning them. This is normal as the files that you see in your internal sdcard are actually located on your external sdcard. This is how FolderMount "tricks" apps that don't have the ability to save explicitly to the external sdcard.

FAQ

Please do read the FAQ before asking questions in this thread. If your question is ignored, it is most likely because the answer to it already exists in the FAQ.

Note to users complaining about FM not working in KitKat with custom ROMs. Before asking any questions or complaining that FM does not work, have your kernel dev (or ROM cooker) look HERE

Screenshots:

Video tutorial(s):

1. by KiaTheKing

Translations:

Want to have FolderMount in your language? Help us by joining our crowdin project. More information here: http://www.devasque.com/foldermount/translations.html

Bug reports:

FolderMount version 2.2 and up support an integrated bug report and submission capability. Use the feature in the Settings menu to submit bug reports.

Changelog:

v2.6.20 (10/9/2014)
  • Updated locales: Vietnam, Norwegian, Brazilian Portuguese, Indonesian (new), Czech, French, Albanian (new), Chinese Simplified, Japanese (new) and Malayalam (Thanks to new translators: Nguyen_Trung_Hau, KurtHE, Alexandre Hagihara, Rendy Luqman Fauzan, Ja_som, primokorn, madao1992 and Huang Zhiyi)
  • Fix bug where obtaining secondary storage resulted in a crash
  • Fix Huawei KK devices that have the sdcardfs module by default
  • Add support for X86 samsung KK ROMs
  • Detect external sd in old LG devices
  • Fix out of memory crash in apps analyzer for those with a gazillion app installed

Rest of changelog

Disclaimer: This app does not guarantee functionality in any way, shape, or form. It is not my responsibility if this app does not work, breaks your sdcard or eats your kittens. User discretion is advised.
Attached Files
File Type: apk FolderMount-2.6.20.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.38 MB, 590 views)
Last edited by madmack; 9th October 2014 at 11:30 AM.
The Following 437 Users Say Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2013, 07:12 PM   |  #2  
Flag New york
Thanks Meter: 530

585 posts
More
Re: [APP][ROOT] FolderMount - Link folders from internal SD to external to free space
Nice app i believe but try it asap and come back with positive feedback ..

Thx fo developing thos kind of apps for us

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anurag.dj2u For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2013, 07:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,426

3,620 posts
Donate to Me
More
Creating a new entry only resulted in the "disappearance" of my files, they returned upon reboot which suggests that your command(s) are backward, and the app warned that Source was not empty when, in fact, it was and it "moved" no files, which interestingly had a progress bar, from Source to Destination, then bound them, at which point both Source and Destination showed no files (hence "disappearance" above) until reboot. The files were still in their original location.
Last edited by egingell; 15th March 2013 at 07:15 PM.
15th March 2013, 07:48 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

52 posts
Re: [APP][ROOT] FolderMount - Link folders from internal SD to external to free space
How about kicking off a media rescan after the folders are mounted?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
15th March 2013, 08:18 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,538 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by egingell

Creating a new entry only resulted in the "disappearance" of my files, they returned upon reboot which suggests that your command(s) are backward, and the app warned that Source was not empty when, in fact, it was and it "moved" no files, which interestingly had a progress bar, from Source to Destination, then bound them, at which point both Source and Destination showed no files (hence "disappearance" above) until reboot. The files were still in their original location.

if you've already mounted that source folder using any other means, un mount it first then use my app to bind it correctly.

Source (internal SD.. copying files FROM this).
Destination (external SD.. copying files TO this.. we'll eventually bind that folder to the source so it looks like the source is populated with the dest's files).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2013, 11:01 PM   |  #6  

3,620 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmack

if you've already mounted that source folder using any other means, un mount it first then use my app to bind it correctly.

Source (internal SD.. copying files FROM this).
Destination (external SD.. copying files TO this.. we'll eventually bind that folder to the source so it looks like the source is populated with the dest's files).

Nope. Not the problem. Nothing is bound to anything on my phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to egingell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2013, 11:03 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,538 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Nope. Not the problem. Nothing is bound to anything on my phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

got access to shell via adb?

if so run the following and paste the output :

Code:

mount
ls -la /your/source/folder
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2013, 12:31 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 30

289 posts
Anyone tried to mount the obb folder? Doesn't work for me.
Love the app otherwise. Looking forward to the updates and to donate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
16th March 2013, 12:33 AM   |  #9  

3,620 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmack

got access to shell via adb?

if so run the following and paste the output :

Code:

mount
ls -la /your/source/folder

It's fine, now. I was using the system's symlinks rather than their actual paths. Maybe check for that?

Does this remount on boot?
16th March 2013, 12:43 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA

3,538 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It's fine, now. I was using the system's symlinks rather than their actual paths. Maybe check for that?

Does this remount on boot?

not yet. no settings menu available so far :| It'll all happen in time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread