FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Difficult to develop for GS4?

332 posts
Thanks Meter: 58
 
By Piaband, Senior Member on 16th March 2013, 03:44 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Do all these new sensors and proprietary software (camera features, gesture features, etc) make it more difficult to develop customs ROMs for the gs4? Or will we just get ROMs that don't use all these new features and sensors

Sent from my aokp_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
 
 
16th March 2013, 03:52 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag So Cal, California
Thanks Meter: 379
 
More
take a look at i9300 sgs3 development section,

then come back here with your findings
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to expertzero1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2013, 04:53 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag round lake
Thanks Meter: 67
 
More
If it's anything like the Note 2 you will loss any Samsung tweaks if you go with a non-touchwiz Rom. Even GPS and bluetooth is a little hairy on Aosp or cyanogenmod Roms. But each phone/team working on the Rom is different. I'm actually sticking with a custom touchwiz Rom because I need the reliability for a business trip this upcoming week.
And it will be extreme luck if the IR sensor works without Samsung's framework. The IR port is the one thing I've been dying for to make a come back. I would actually pay $20 for a fully programmable IR app that has the same functionality of one of those expensive Logitech models.
16th March 2013, 04:57 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 155
 
More
The development scene for Samsung phones has been huge and vibrant. Samsung is nice about keeping things unlocked and releasing source code, and while it may take time for AOSP/CM/AOKP ROM's to be fully functional and stable the S4 will have plenty of custom ROM's in its future.
16th March 2013, 05:12 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag round lake
Thanks Meter: 67
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGXtreme

The development scene for Samsung phones has been huge and vibrant. Samsung is nice about keeping things unlocked and releasing source code, and while it may take time for AOSP/CM/AOKP ROM's to be fully functional and stable the S4 will have plenty of custom ROM's in its future.

I have no doubt that the S4 will get AOSP/CM/AOKP roms but the OP question was about the sensors. You got temp sensor, IR sensor, hover with finger sensor, and some of the camera tweaks. I don't think those Roms will have the sensor fully functionals. That's the issue I have right now on my Note 2. I love the cleanness of a stock Android Rom but I miss it when a note automatically pops up when the s-pen is removed. And battery life on touchwiz Roms appear to be better. These are choices we're going to have to make.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdmoore74 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2013, 05:26 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 155
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74

...I miss it when a note automatically pops up when the s-pen is removed...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that entirely part of the launcher and TouchWiz apps rather than the ROM?
16th March 2013, 05:41 AM |#7  
Livebyte's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 348
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaband

Do all these new sensors and proprietary software (camera features, gesture features, etc) make it more difficult to develop customs ROMs for the gs4? Or will we just get ROMs that don't use all these new features and sensors

Sent from my aokp_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

I assure you it will be huge and vibrant, for now....
Wait 1 year later.

S3 & Note 2 users will now experience what S2 and Note users experienced for the past year. Total nightmare and hell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Livebyte For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2013, 03:02 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74

I have no doubt that the S4 will get AOSP/CM/AOKP roms but the OP question was about the sensors. You got temp sensor, IR sensor, hover with finger sensor, and some of the camera tweaks. I don't think those Roms will have the sensor fully functionals. That's the issue I have right now on my Note 2. I love the cleanness of a stock Android Rom but I miss it when a note automatically pops up when the s-pen is removed. And battery life on touchwiz Roms appear to be better. These are choices we're going to have to make.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. I am looking to run stock android jelly bean on my next device.

I had a nexus s for my first android phone and I took it for granted how amazingly easy it was to flash not only roms but radios, kernels, basically anything. And I just love stock android.

I am now on an HTC rezound. While I do like it, I sorely miss stock android and flashing away at will. Already had quite a few flashing mishaps.

If I am forced to run touchwiz to use all these new features, then I'm not going to pay attention to the features when choosing my next device.

This wouldn't even be an issue if the LG nexus was released on Verizon.

Ugh, looks like I'm still waiting.

Rezound, s-off, loving it.
16th March 2013, 03:06 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebyte

I assure you it will be huge and vibrant, for now....
Wait 1 year later.

S3 & Note 2 users will now experience what S2 and Note users experienced for the past year. Total nightmare and hell.

Explain?

Sent from my s-off Rezound
16th March 2013, 04:32 PM |#10  
zoot1's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Navi Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,479
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: Difficult to develop for GS4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGXtreme

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that entirely part of the launcher and TouchWiz apps rather than the ROM?

Actually it depends on the feature.. Some of the features see baked into the framework apk others have individual apps... None of them are launcher dependent.. However all of these together make a ROM.. So I don't know you are referring to??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaband

Explain?

Sent from my s-off Rezound

He means all the devs will fly in droves to the new flagship device leaving the flagship devices of last year stranded..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoot1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2013, 04:35 PM |#11  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,358
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaband

Explain?

Sent from my s-off Rezound

Most experienced developers are leaving Samsung for manufacturers that don't treat them like **** (see the Superbrick fiasco), leaving only the "me-too" smali-hack-kangs and a very small number of experienced competent developers like Andrei.

Quality, not quantity - most of the stuff in the I9100 and I9300 forums is crap, people who took a Touchwizz base, themed it, made some build.prop hacks, and called it a whole new firmware package. They're lucky in that Touchwizz is so bad that it's easy to improve upon it.

Compare to, for example, the Xperia T where there are 5-10 or more developers all contributing as a team to something that only has two threads (One for CM10, one for CM10.1) There aren't many people working with Sony stock firmwares because, honestly, it's REALLY hard to improve upon them because they're so good to begin with. Most of the few things that can be improved are achievable with simple TiBu freezes, no smali hacking required.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes