Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 53,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Root][TWRP][COTR][BOOTLOADERS]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 (4/5/13) [1st Gen Only!]

Tip us?

redbean25
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos Ascetic View Post
The install_drivers.bat, and all drivers included with this utility do not work no matter how many times i uninstall or reinstall.Ive read numerous tutorials,and threads with this same issue

Kindle fire 1st gen 6.3.2 running
the smooth rom 1.7 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2103278

when I connect to the computer with the Stock Amazon OS it shows up fine in windows.So I was able to use the kindle fire utility only before I install any custom roms. But once I have installed a custom ROM, I cant mount the device in COTR , TWRP, or in the ROM OS

Theres plenty of people with this issue.And plenty who say they solve it.Does anyone have a working set of drivers?If you do please upload them.I still get a google failed dialog from the drivers packaged with this utility.Ive uploaded some drivers that give me a successful install dialog, yet they still dont let me see my kindle in windows
They do work. That error you are seeing about the install failing is because you have not disabled Windows Driver Signing. Once you disable that, then install them. They will work.

Logos Ascetic
Old
(Last edited by Logos Ascetic; 30th July 2013 at 05:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Default finally made some headway

I updated the Android SDK Tools to the latest version with some updated API's and Google usb drivers.

ACTION = RESULT
1) booted to COTR = mount usb storage which came up as "kindle" with access to folders
2) unmounted and tried to mount the system folder = showed up as android composite device in the "safe to remove hardware" dialog
3) rebooted my rom (android debugging enabled) = showed up as android composite device in the "safe to remove hardware" dialog
4) connected device (android debugging disabled) = didnt show up anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by menriquez View Post
I spent two hours yesterday fighting this and other issues...I eventually got the drivers to work so I can confirm 100% that install_drivers.bat DOES work...have you checked your antivirus and/or firewall to make sure they aren't blocking installation or something? just an idea...
Just because it works for you doesnt mean they work 100% for everyone, in every environment.While yes theres a very small chance a antivirus and/or firewall could block them. Neither are blocking any driver install. Do you have any suggestions for a more localized search closer to the actual drivers, driver installation .ini's .dlls or device ids? Seems like it would be better to check those than to just randomly start rooting around in other computer processes that arent directly related to the actual device

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean25 View Post
They do work. That error you are seeing about the install failing is because you have not disabled Windows Driver Signing. Once you disable that, then install them. They will work.
No they do not work once you disable it.I know about "Windows Driver Signing" Ive enabled and even re-enabled it.same problem.Im not the only one, there are dozens of other people in other forums and threads here that have the same issue.So then that means these drivers / or the .bat file is not universal enough to be used on a wide range of systems

awidawad
Old
(Last edited by awidawad; 30th July 2013 at 05:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 938

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
No they do not work once you disable it.I know about "Windows Driver Signing" Ive enabled and even re-enabled it.same problem.Im not the only one, theres dozens of other people in other forums and threads here that have the same issue.So then that means these drivers / or the .bat file is not universal enough to be used on a wide range of systems
It is programmed to be run on windows thus is "Universal" on all Windows PCs running Windows XP SP3-Windows 8 32 or 64 bit systems. I've shown people in denial that it won't work through a team viewer session I got their drivers installed within 5 minutes and have done this to numerous users until I didn't have any more time for that. It'll work, you just have to follow the correct steps as obviously you're missing something or your drivers would be installed right now.

One thing I can say though is that some PCs are different in terms of USB if so try a different machine that may do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soupmagnet
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2351
@Logos Ascetic

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2384868
The Following User Says Thank You to soupmagnet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Logos Ascetic
Old
(Last edited by Logos Ascetic; 30th July 2013 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
In your own reply you just said it is universal and not universal at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by awidawad View Post
"It is programmed to be run on windows thus is "Universal" on all Windows PCs running Windows XP SP3-Windows 8 32 or 64 bit systems."

"One thing I can say though is that some PCs are different in terms of USB if so try a different machine that may do the trick."
This means its not universal, it means its hardware / software specific

Im not in denial, and not sure how making an accusation like that furthers the conversation in a constructive way.If you had to VNC into other peoples computers to install it then the install_drivers.bat is not a full proof method that works 100% .I know the proper procedure to install drivers.And its a very known and Common thing for the Kindle to have USB driver problems

I would appreciate it if you could list the manual steps youve taken in the past to get it to work through VNC.That way its posted here for everyone to see.Perhaps you can even integrate the steps into the .bat file so that in the future its a more robust automation with common conflicts and files checked to make sure they are setup correctly.Or just integrate it into your read me file for the KFU utility

@soupmagnet

Im well aware of my own post in another section.This post is in regards to the kindle fire utility and the bundled drivers and installer. While that post is a more broad post looking for an outside solution to my issue.Since the kindle connects as a adb device, MTP device, and mass storage device there is a more complex setup than most devices

menriquez
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Just because it works for you doesnt mean they work 100% for everyone, in every environment.While yes theres a very small chance a antivirus and/or firewall could block them. Neither are blocking any driver install. Do you have any suggestions for a more localized search closer to the actual drivers, driver installation .ini's .dlls or device ids? Seems like it would be better to check those than to just randomly start rooting around in other computer processes that arent directly related to the actual device
hey I was just trying to help...fyi here is screenshot of my firewall program from yesterday that led me to suggest the check for you...

so it wasn't "random"...i understand your frustration but please i was trying to help.

regards,
- mark

soupmagnet
Old
(Last edited by soupmagnet; 30th July 2013 at 08:32 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2351
Quote:
@soupmagnet

Im well aware of my own post in another section.This post is in regards to the kindle fire utility and the bundled drivers and installer. While that post is a more broad post looking for an outside solution to my issue.Since the kindle connects as a adb device, MTP device, and mass storage device there is a more complex setup than most devices
Okay first off, arguing with another developer about how well their "works" work will get you nowhere on this site and you put yourself at risk of getting a Moderator involved...but that's just some friendly advice from one user to another, so you can take it for what it's worth.

The point of directing you to your original post, where I had posted another link, was so you can educate yourself and have a better foundation that can empower you to make a more educated suggestion/bug report/whatever.

Having said that, if you used the information that you learned from that post, compared it to the way KFU's driver install package works, and respectfully offered a suggestion to the developer that can help to make the KFU work better in more situations, I'm absolutely positive you would get a better response from him and possibly even lead to an updated version that will work in yours and possibly other situations.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to soupmagnet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

menriquez
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by awidawad View Post
Have you tried using a different computer? Some computers are funky with the device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
perhaps somewhat better advice would have been install a usb drive linux and use soupkit? but thanks anyway for your help that is ALWAYS much appreciated in my locality.

aaron.a
Old
Thanks Meter 96
i got a newb question,
how do i manually enter recovery after i flash twrp?

i read something about holding down power when you see the yellow triangle but i don't see a yellow triangle. the only way to enter recovery is to use kfu oO

soupmagnet
Old
(Last edited by soupmagnet; 10th August 2013 at 11:47 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.a View Post
i got a newb question,
how do i manually enter recovery after i flash twrp?

i read something about holding down power when you see the yellow triangle but i don't see a yellow triangle. the only way to enter recovery is to use kfu oO
The yellow triangle has been replaced by the blue & white Kindle Fire logo. Holding, or repeatedly pressing the power button at startup should bring up the boot menu, assuming you have the blue & white Kindle Fire logo. If not, you can enter recovery through fastboot with the command line if the device is already in fastboot. If the device is not already in fastboot, you will may need to get a factory cable.

The Following User Says Thank You to soupmagnet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]